Police always carrying guns?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Druid of Lûhn, Sep 13, 2011.

?

Should the police always carry a weapon?

1. Yes; it's for our security.

47.6%
  2. No, they don't need them, only when ordered to for a certain threat.

23.8%
  3. Yes, but they should be hidden.

28.6%
  1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    We still have violent criminals in UK, Australia and probably Belgium too. So I have no idea what on earth you are basing your opinion on.

Australia's size and central emptiness is incomprehensible to most foreigners. The middle two thirds of Australia is a big huge desert. If you drive from east to west, you will routinely drive 200-300km (~300 miles) between petrol stations, with nothing but the road and some shrubs in between. We have large amount of NOTHING in this country, and you can drive for hours and hours and not pass another human being. Heck I could drive from my house straight north for about 14 hours and not be at the northern tip of my own state.

2. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    All countries face almost the same problems i don't see the point why the police is not the same. No guns will be the perfect situation.

3. steelpounder

steelpounder New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you take the guns away from law abiding citizens there are people who could make them for the criminal element. I make knives and swords etc. but I could make some simple fire-arms if I chose. Also stats show more people are murdered with knives than guns. Plus an emergency room nurse told me that victims are more likely to survive gunshots than stabbings. And many times a screwdriver is the weapon used on the streets.

4. Conquer

Conquer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I vote for "Yes, but they should be hidden." For many reasons that I am too lazy to explain :p

5. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've got no issue with the idea of police always carrying guns while they are on duty. It's their job after all. And in that particular job you never know from day to day when a situation might occur and things could get out of hand to the point where arms are needed.

6. Gayle Miller

Gayle Miller New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I voted yes but concealed. In UK we don't need our cops carrying anything other than a baton and taizer (sp) to defend themselves in the majority of cases but where you have mad men using swords to inflict injury/death in a city then having a concealed gun would be of benefit.

7. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +327 / 1 / -0
    ok, from the point of view of the not so nice side of society, the police don't pull their weapons unless they feel the situation warrants it, twice i have been pulled on, once while drunk and cutting through a school (school holidays and i didnt know arsonists had hit the school the week before) and the second time after throwing a cop to the ground and kneeing him in the chest(he grabbed me from behind, didnt identify) i feel firearms in the hands are fine. even on the occasions where i have been arrested without the use of firearms the threat was there, the female officer puts the cuffs on (its on my file that i am anti violence against women but have been known to physically push male cops) while the male rests his hand on the holster. and yes, you constantly wonder just how fast he is on the draw, could i get there before he shot me :p
    tho the gun wasnt pulled the threat was still there, and with someone like me it is a necessity. without the weapon i probably would slip the female officer and have a go