poetry in story

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Galido, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Galido

Galido Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I like to have riddles and poetry in my story. but, can you used it often or 2-3 times in one book?

2. Moonlance

Moonlance New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't know wether there is a common sense in the book market which provides any reference to answer your question; if that is the information you're looking for.

Anyways, you might consider the following: in the Prose-Poetry form, in classical epic literature (Ancient, and Modern also), poetry is all that there is in the texts. That said (I've read some of those sources; like modern Martin Fierro; which is not Fantasy, but is great Epic), I believe it might be pretty interesting to read a contemporary Fantasy Prose-Poetry story, or just a common Fantasy story, but full of well-crafted, inspiring poems.

About riddles, I know very little.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  3. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Riddles and poetry in fantasy stories, that sounds a lot like Tolkien. Which is not a bad thing, but as always I'd say it depends on your target group. When I read LotR as a teenager, I considered most of the poems and songs as very dull and sometimes skipped the longer ones after a few lines. Nowadays I don't have that much of a problem with it, as long as they aren't too repetitive and contribute to the story.

I think riddles aren't such a bad idea. What kind of riddles do you use in your stories? Can you name examples? And how do you bring them into your stories? Is there one character telling them, or are they more of a plot device?

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I think the use of poetry depends on the context in which you use it. Tolkein often used it in the form of songs, but it should be noted that his writing style is very archaic and formal too. If you were writing in a very modern style (ie: using a lot of popular culture references, slang words etc), poetry might not fit very well.
    For example: I used poetry once in a novel to wrote a prophecy. That only worked since the prophecy was old and it was appropriate that the language of it was vague on meaning and very formal. If you're using poetry for riddles, I think it would have to fit the character. Some slobbering, stupid troll quoting poetry in a riddle would stretch my suspension of disbelief too much. If however, that troll was temporarily possessed by the spirit of an ancient, evil wizard and started spewing poetry: I could accept that. :D

5. Hiram Webb

Hiram Webb New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lol Faerlind you were born with more than your share of imagination, weren't you. I like it!

6. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    *laughs* I have not yet decided if it is a blessing or a curse..... probably a little of both! XD