Please suggest me a fantasy series

Discussion in 'General Books' started by King Angus, Sep 26, 2014.

1. King Angus

King Angus New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am unsurprisingly looking for a recommendation on a fantasy series. My dilemma is that the main series that I have read are Eragon, Game of Thrones, Harry Potter, etc. Most of the more well known fantasy, but I know there is a whole world of fantasy books out there, it's just so easy to find a "meh" series with how insanely large the pool of books to choose from is.

Lately I have been reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, which is fantastic but is also very complex and I am constantly struggling to make sure I'm not missing anything. Also, while we basically all agree that the Inheritance Cycle was written very poorly and had major problems, I really love the concept. So that all being said, what I am looking for in a fantasy series is a story that at least heavily follows a single protagonist. I've been reading nothing but Game of Thrones and Malazan for a long time and I think now I want to read a story that's more focused on a main character. But I also would like it to be more "adult" like Game of Thrones and the Malazan series. And even though I mentioned how I was straying away from the Malazan series for a bit because they're so complicated, I am totally down with complexity in fantasy series. It's just that the Malazan books are absolute beasts on that front. I would also prefer there to be heavy use of magic in the series, in contrast to Game of Thrones which has pretty little magic. The last thing is just that I would really like it if all the books were already out. It's tough waiting for Game of Thrones and I don't think I can handle waiting for another book series. xD

If anyone has any suggestions I would love to check them out.

2. herzog

herzog Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    C.J. Cherryh has an excellent series that starts with Fortress in the Eye of Time. While there isn't a lot of magic in it (almost none now that I'm thinking of it) the main character was created by magic. I believe the series is complete and it only deals with a few characters in each book largely following the main guy, Tristan.

3. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    you could always try the Witcher books.

4. Nameless Knight

Nameless Knight New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The original Conan stories by Robert. E Howard.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Daragoian

Daragoian Dragon Rider

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I haven't read them myself so I don't really know if they're what you're looking for but I hear that the Shannara books by Terry Brooks are very good. Also (I know you said you don't want to wait but I need to share the love for this book) there is a book called 'Attrition' by S.G. Night which I think is amazing! It's the first of a trilogy, the second part due to be released early 2015, but it does follow one main protagonist and involves magic. What's more, you can get it on special offer for $0.99 on Kindle until midnight tonight.
    ~ Daragoian

6. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +254 / 0 / -0
    I like The Demon Cycle trilogy by Peter V. Brett a lot. I haven't read the third book, but in the other two the reader follows one main character on his adventure to save the word (what else? ;)) (1st book: the warded man)
    I'm not sure if you would call it magic what happens there, but it's about banning demons using runes and symbols (only that everyone has forgotten those symbols and people get slaughtered by demons most of the times)
    The first two books were very well written and I find the idea wuite different from other fantasy books I've read so far (maybe I haven't read the right books though)

7. Bat

Bat New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I just finished The Rangers Apprentice series and I enjoyed it. :D I've also read the Golden Lights, if you haven't already.

8. Poppy Reid Official

Poppy Reid Official New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I recently published a fantasy novel called Blood of the Fallen.

A soldier is framed for a crime he didn't commit and finds an unexpected ally in an Elf girl, who's village his tribesmen attacked and destroyed. Great if you enjoy fiction with war, genocide, magic, sex, Elves, plot twists and bloody action scenes. It's recieved positive reviews so far :D Give it a try if you need a new fantasy book to sink your teeth into. Here's the cover too :p

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Fallen-...415063491&sr=8-2&keywords=blood+of+the+fallen

Cover.jpg

9. Mulluane

Mulluane New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Sword of Change Trilogy by Patricia Bray was a single protagonist, reluctant hero. The main character signs up to be a hero, knowing that it is a death sentence (which is good because he has a death wish.) It is still however a well paying position, money he plans to send back home. Much to his dismay, he survives, over and over again.

The best first person POV series I can think of is the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. There are other, related series set in the same world you might like also. Rai Kirah Series by Carol Berg also comes to mind.

It was a bit tricky finding single protags, or atleast a single narrator, in my review list. Most epic fantasy is multilayered, multiple POV, complicated fare by definition. Some are more or less "busy" than others. Feel free to rummage through my index and see if anything jumps out at you. The only thing I review on that blog is completed, series or subseries.

Try searching for "sword and sorcery" or "heroic fantasy" instead of Epic Fantasy. S & S tends to be more personal, less complicated, ie man or woman with a sword (often magical) or a pair of folk (fighter and mage) going around righting wrongs.

Good luck in your search!

10. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +471 / 3 / -0
  11. Toris

Toris New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm reading Enchanters of Xarparion at the moment and I really like that trilogy, mainly one character to follow and an easy read.
    I would also recommend Sovereign of the Seven Isles, Godling Chronicles, Fate's Forsaken (one book left to come out), The Jake Thomas trilogy and probably some others I've come over the past few months.

12. Scott Kaelen

Scott Kaelen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay, here we go.

Weis/Hickman - Dragonlance Chronicles & Legends
    RA Salvatore - Icewind Dale trilogy, Dark Elf trilogy, etc.
    David Gemmell - Drenai novels and The Damned novels
    Raymond E Feist - Magician, Silverthorn, etc.
    Joe Abercrombie - First Law trilogy
    Michael Moorcock - Elric series
    Tom Lloyd - Twilight Reign series

There are lots more, but that's a pretty well-rounded list.

13. perneekCZ

perneekCZ New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Try Terry Pratchett

14. Anna Peck

Anna Peck The Fable Functionary

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If you're wanting a really good series to read, I have 3 to tell you about. 2 are written by Michael R Hicks called 'In Her Name' series and 'Harvester' series. The 3rd is written by Glen Soucy called 'Blood Tithe'. These books can be bought over at Amazon's Kindle. These guys are crazy good writers and Hollywood needs to take notice. These stories would make killer movies. Check them, see if I'm not right.

15. Tavar Dresden

Tavar Dresden Mortal Champion of the Unseelie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend Codex Alera and The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. The Riftwar Saga (the author's preferred edition) by Raymond E. Feist. Also any heroic fantasy by David Gemmell.

16. Herald Of Woe

Herald Of Woe Scourge of the seven seas

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -0
    I would recommend

The Drenai series by David Gemmel
    The Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett
    The Burton and Swinburn series by Mark Hodder (it's Steampunk rather than typical fantasy but is a cracking read)
    The Seer King trilogy by Chris Bunch
    The Tyrants and Kings trilogy by John Marco

17. Abishai100

Abishai100 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Terry Brooks

The Shannara series (Terry Brooks) is deep, colourful, fun, offbeat, and film-friendly.

I actually like it better than Tolkien's Hobbit series, because it's slightly more accessible.

o_O

shannara.gif

18. Aelfwynn

Aelfwynn Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    would recommend anything by Robin Hobb, such as the Farseer Trilogy :)
    alternatively perhaps Thief's magic by Trudi Canavan? there's a lot of magic but it's not necessarily terribly adult (would also recommend the Age of the five series by her)

19. David2016

David2016 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend David Gemmell's books for Sword and Sorcery type fantasy. I really cannot think of a better author, and it's a real tragedy he's passed away. My two personal favourites of his are 'Druss the Legend' and 'Morningstar'.

Of course, you could also read my books (under Aaron Hodges) - they're called Stormwielder and Firestorm. They're along a similar line of plot to Eragon ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2017
  20. XxDeadly_DiagnosisxX

XxDeadly_DiagnosisxX New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0