Please help me with my costume...

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by Saruman, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Saruman

Saruman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi. I've been wanting to make an exact copy of Saruman the Whites costume, but am finding it very hard to think up a design for it, simply because I can't figure out how it has been made. I've done a lot of research on it, and already understand a lot, but there are a few things, such as his over-robe which confuse me... One of the things is the flat piping which runs down the front and back - how was this made and atttatched? Also, how has the robe been made to flare out at the bottom? Has anyone else made this costume, or spent time studying it who could help, I would be really grateful if you would let me know. Or if you've noticed any detail on the costume which isn't that obvious which could help. Thankyou.

2. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You should go to alley cat scratch they give very detailed descriptions of the costumes. Also they have sections where you can buy peices of the costumes or make them yourself. I do not have the exact adress just put in at google alley cat scratch.

3. Saruman

Saruman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, but I've already tried them, they've got lots of great pictures but I still need more, probably from someone who's seen the costume up close or made one themselves.

4. OaksDryad

OaksDryad New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Go to groups.yahoo.com and in the search field enter "LotR_Costume" (with the underscore but without the quotes). The LotR_Costume group is actually the second one on the results list for some reason, but there is a direct link to it there. It is a very active group with many, many people who are researching and making costumes based on those from the movies. I know there are at least three or four people there who have made really outstanding Saruman costumes. The LotR_Costume group is also directly associated with alleycatscratch, so they may be able to help you decifer more of the info on that page.

-Dryad

5. Calarustithil

Calarustithil Smith of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you watch the FOTR EE Appendices? I think in the wardrobe section the talk about it for a little while. I don't know if they address the things you are having trouble with but it might help anyway.

6. Curunir

Curunir Keyholder of Orthanc

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm actually wondering the same thing Sar...I'm working on my own costume and it looks simple enough, but its pretty darn hard when you think about it and try to put it altogether. I have my under robe almost done though...my main task on the under robe is to actually recreate the frogs so they look right...i'm really pleased with what I've gotten done so far. good luck on your costume!

7. Viruk

Viruk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Try a pattern, you won't be able to find the exact one but once you make a few robes you sort of get the feel for how it goes together and you might be able to figure out Saruman's. Just go to a fabric store and look through the "costume" sections in the pattern books. Cutting and sewing from a pattern is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. It helps if you have someone who has some sewing experience to help you out though.

8. Saruman

Saruman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    So you're making this costume aswell, finally someone who's not making an aragorn or arwen costume. The under-robe looks pretty straight forward and i don't think the frogs will be too hard, there's some really good close ups on the FOTR:EE DVD. Did you use a silk brocade for the sleeves, if so what does it look like and how close does it match. I've been trying to find the perfect one but i haven't had much luck. I've worked out the exact linens i want to use for the under-robe and over-robe, that's about as far as I've got. I want to get the design 100% accurate (or as close as) before I committ to making it. I have a design for every part of the costume, including the belt etc... except the over-robe, which is a little bit trickier, and you're right, the costume does look pretty simple at first but when you start looking closer it becomes more complex. Have you got any pictures of your costume so far, I'd really like to see some if you have. Thankyou & Good luck to you too.

9. Curunir

Curunir Keyholder of Orthanc

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i didn't use a silk brocade only because my funds are a little limited at the moment and all the decent silk brocades were pretty expensive...here's the pic though. The pattern is larger than used in the movie, but I'm still pretty happy with what I have.

[​IMG]

10. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    For people who wants to make chainmail, I have a cheap, easy to mork with, light weight material:
    good, ol' PVC!!!!

just take a pipe with approximatively 1/2 inch of diameter, cut it in fine(but not to fine) slices, paint it black, and voila! pre-closed, lightweight, cheap rings! just cut open some when you need it, and you have some great material for making chainmail.

11. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    AAAARG! i've posted my reply in the wrong thread!