Please help me make my dream come true

Discussion in 'Self publishing' started by Miltar, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Miltar

Miltar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I started my project on indiegogo and need all help I can get. Except backing, I would be very gratefull if you showed it to your friends or posted on your pages. Thank you!
    The Chronicles of Laanian

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I'm not aware of any new published books which have funded through indiegogo or any other kickstarter type affair.

People are basically not going to pay an author to write. Heck even private investors and publishers won't pay an unknown author to write. You're too much an unknown and the potential for failure is far too great; plus unlike many other creative endeavours you don't have much you can show before you've completed your work.

It's very likely to fail unless you've got a few friends or your own savings to push you over the funding target.

What DOES work is when you've got an established market. Many comic books have published well through kicstarter because the stories were already out for free - many weekly/monthly comics have funded successful print runs through this. The quality of the work is known.

Established names have also funded well; authors who already have a name; already have a market and already have customers have funded print runs. Because, again, they are a known quantity - they've already got products out there that show what they are capable of. Plus those products are advertising and reaching out to many.

Publishing wise the only way to KS when you've got nothing published is collected works. To have a collection of short stories where you are within a block of authors; some unknown like yourself and a few others who are established and known published authors. Those authors bring their fans; their influence and their market and help drive the sales.