Playstation 3

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by kartaron, Aug 19, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    details on PS 3 so far

"Earlier this week, the Rambus Developer Forum was held in Japan. During the conference, SCE detailed some information about memory usage in the PS3.

First, it was stated that XDR DRAM production is still on schedule to begin mid-2005, which further confirms the previously announced begin date. The three producers of XDR, Toshiba, Elpida, and Samsung, will all begin production at that time. If all other elements of the PS3 are can begin production at that time, production of the PS3 could also start soon after.

Second, Sony announced that the amount of XDR DRAM to be placed in the PS3 has been cut in half, from the previously announced 512Mbit to 256Mbit. This could mean one of many possible scenarios. The first scenario is that system memory has simply been slashed in half. Another possible scenario is that memory speed has been doubled from 25.6 GB/sec to 51.2 GB/sec. A third possibility is that on-chip memory has been increased. Until more details are released about PS3 specifications, it is impossible to know which scenario, or possible other scenario, has been fulfilled. It was also mentioned in the article that a goal of the PS3 will be to render currently pre-rendered material in real time. It was not mentioned as to what material this would include. Sony did mention how current CG movies are rendered with computers prior to playing them, so that they are not interactive with the gamer. The goal of making such movies interactive, rendered by the PS3 in real-time, is something they are confident in achieving with the PS3."

------------------
    Playable examples of Sony's next-generation console will be shown at next year's E3, Sony Computer Entertainment CTO Masa Chatani announced today at the annual PlayStation Meeting event in Japan.

That will be the second step in the public unveiling of the successor to the PlayStation 2. It will publicly debut in some form at a special event early next year, before the end of March, according to Chatani's timetable. E3 2005 will see the first interactive demonstrations of the system, and if development continues on its current track, the first game titles will be shown at next year's Tokyo Game Show.

Developers, Chatani said, will receive the first version of the new console's development tool around the turn of the next fiscal year, at the end of next March. That's not long after Sony and IBM plan to make their Cell-based computer workstation -- hardware related to the next console's development environment -- available to customers. The second, more complete version of the development system will subsequently become available early in the second half of fiscal 2005, around next September. According to that timetable, the 2006 holidays seem like a reasonable ballpark for the console's retail release, although it's still hard to predict how much development time its first titles will require. So far, development of the new console "is going smoothly," Chatani said. If it remains smooth enough to stick to the current schedule, E3 2005 may feature three new consoles at once -- Nintendo has already committed to debuting its "Revolution" hardware at the show, and Microsoft will all but certainly have the successor to the Xbox on display.

-----------------
    Mr. Niani, who has been collaborating with Sony on the PS3 for some time, suggests that the PS3 will use Blu-Ray technology as a possible playback option. Blu-Ray technology uses a blue colored laser to read data off of optical discs. BD-ROM is the hardware format of that technology, allowing 25GB per layer of recording, over five times that of a DVD.

(this is sony's bid to own the High Definition DVD market) If they can make affordable HD-DVD players into their playstations they are alost sure to get universal acceptance.)
    ----------------
    In a recent job posting by SCEA, information was revealed as to possible software capabilities, as well as the pledge to develop a response to Microsoft’s DirectX platform for PS3.

The job posting for Lead Software Engineer clearly states this during the job introduction: “Lead the creation and development of Sony’s response to DirectX, in close cooperation with our online and 3d groups.” DirectX has become the standard for PC gaming over the past few years, and it appears that Sony is going to try to standardize gaming development similar to what Microsoft has done.

What exactly is DirectX? From the website:

Microsoft DirectX is an advanced suite of multimedia application programming interfaces (APIs) built into Microsoft Windows; operating systems. DirectX provides a standard development platform for Windows-based PCs by enabling software developers to access specialized hardware features without having to write hardware-specific code.

The recently touted Microsoft XNA is a further extension of this. What Sony is planning to do is still unknown, but it appears that the use of APIs will be a major part of programming for the PS3. This no doubt comes after many complaints about programming for the difficult PS2 hardware. Another curious mention: “Personally lead the creation of SCEA portable OS and hardware abstraction layer.” This basically means that the software will be easily transferred to another hardware system besides the PS3. A PC version may be in the works to take on the dominant DirectX in an unfamiliar area for SCEA. Other job positions postings include Lead Software Tools Engineer and Software Tools Manager. Visit this post on our message boards to view the job postings or use the link below (registration required). Thanks goes out to forum member Nirey.
    ----------------
    Recent moves by Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) strongly suggest that PS3 will make use of Open API formats, rather than the proprietary formats used on all previous consoles.

A few weeks ago, SCE announced that they joined the Khronos Group, a “member-funded industry consortium focused on the creation of open standard, royalty-free APIs to enable the authoring and playback of dynamic media on a wide variety of platforms and devices.” The group supports development and use of OpenGL ES, OpenML, OpenVG, and OpenMAX. At the time, SCE commented that they joined the group to explore possible future uses of the technology. This could mean it being used in PS3, or PS4, or possibly, PS27.

This all changed today with a posting on the SigGraph website. Collada is an Open 3D graphics format which is specifically designed for videogames. SCE will introduce Collada at the SigGraph 2004 Tech Talk which is being held August 11th. Collada was built from the collaboration of many 3D toolchain companies, including SCE, and like Khronos Group, will make use of the group support to enhance and standardize Open formats.

What does this tell us? Well, SCE has heavily invested into Open formats and are pledging their support of the formats now. This heavily suggest that the PS3 will use Open formats. What does this all mean? This means that developers will have a much easier time making games for the PS3 than ever before, and those games can be simply ported to an computer device which supports Open formats. More effort can be spent perfecting games rather than worrying about building multiple copies of the same game. When Microsoft announced XNA, their upcoming format which would be used for all gaming applications, I bet they never thought that Sony would be working on the exact same thing. SCE not only found a format battle XNA, but possibly a format to crush it.

-----------------
    In an interview conducted by the official PlayStation website, SCEE president and COO, David Reeves, revealed that there may be two version of the PS3 available to consumers at launch.

Reeves said that, “there might be a normal PS3 for gamers, who just want to play the movies and have better games.” This version would be aimed at those who are willing “to pay 200 Euros ($243 USD) for a new generation games machine.” Another version, considered to be a “home server”, would feature “all-singing, all-dancing features with maybe a hard disk drive” which would retail for 600-700 Euros ($728-$850 USD).

When asked about the ultimate goal of the PS3, he commented, “to get into electronic broadband distribution.” It is the hope of Sony that all users will have a broadband Internet connections at time of purchase. When asked on how fast the connection would need to be, he said, “it’s going to have to be 2 or 3 MB [per second], something like that. Ken [Kutaragi]’s even talking about 30MB [per second]! And when it gets to that, then it is broadband distribution, and people then can just download whatever game they want. But it's got to be secure, and that's where DNAS (Sony's online security protocol) comes in." Reeves also commented that the PS3 would be “intrinsically linked with PSX” meaning that existing owners of PSX will not be left out in the cold. This could possibly mean that the base version of the PS3 would connect to the PSX to form the “home server” version of the PS3. As E3 comes closer, we will hopefully get some more comments about the possibilities of PS3.

2. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Wow, thats alot of info. Well, I for one am looking forward to it. They could probably get a better name then Playstation 3 though, I mean, put some imagination into it guys. But I suppose its better than Gamecube or something lame like that....

3. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Too bad I just bought PS2...couldn't afford 800 bucks anyway

4. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info kartaron, cant wait for PS3 to arrive!!

5. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    the official logo looks exactly like the PS2 logo on the system... with a 3 instead of a 2 so dont believe any of the doctored photos that are on the net.

6. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    No offenense, but I don't find anything special about Sony's systems. Most of the games they get just come to the Xbox or Cube. Plus, compared to Xbox and Gamecube graphics wise it's not as good. Plus the controller is just weird while the Cube controller and the Xbox controllers are quite comfortable. Now I'm not trying to just declare Sony's Gaming systems suck, but in my opinion they do.

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 2 / -0
    XDR... does that mean unknown data rate, to be determined? Something like tripple or more? That would be way cool, not to mention way FAST! These specs make me drool and wet my pants at the same time! It is such a shame that Sony isn't quite known for making fast progress on their machines... That would mean that we have to wait at least till 2006 before we can plug them into our TV's, no matter what Sony officials say. Welll, we just have to wait in patience...

Oh, and these Holo-disks are already develloped, and are expected to hit retail somewhere near december and could hold something like 100 GB... Imagine a game of 100GB!!!!

8. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    XDR: It should be double RDR or 8x ram... Ill look for the specs on it... I didnt post it earlier because I thought it was too technical.

9. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    It's not so much about the controllers (which sony owns IMHO) or the graphics, its more about the games they have out for it. For example, I love Final Fantasy. The only Final Fantasy title released on another system is Crystal Chronicles for Gamecube. Hence, Playstation is the way to go. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way.
    (just my 2 cents)

10. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    If your in to Final Fantasy, then the PS2 is the way to go, of course. But otherwise I would go for the Xbox.

11. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I can't wait for the new PS3 to come out. Everytime I check though it's been pushed back. By the sounds of it though, the other systems are going to have to scramble to catch up because of the new chip Sony is implementing.

12. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    As pumped as I am for PS3, I'm still gonna wait to see more info on the new Microsoft and Nintedo systems. (Although I'll probably end up buying all three again)

13. Boadicea

Boadicea Warrior Queen

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    No! :mad: The PS people have betrayed me! First, I get a Playstation1 a year before they start making PS2s. Then, I had to go out and buy a PS2 so I could play all the new games. And now, they're putting out a PS3?! I'm switching to Xbox!

14. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I'll wait until the next X-box comes out before I make my decision........ though I'm sure it'll be like this generation of console systems, and I'll just buy both. And Nintendo's system.

15. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Xbox will more than likely put out new systems as well...

16. The Man from Niefldarth

The Man from Niefldarth your worst nightmare!

My fortress of Mâkinaashanaz, Grinning Doorminh.
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    and for gamecube? are they making another gamecube?

a gamesphere, like in southpark, would be cool...

17. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure they will! What system does not have a newer version of it? Except for Xbox, but thats just because its still fairly new. But if they did not make new systems we will still all be playing the original Ninetendo (not that that would be a bad thing necessarily ;) )

When the new PS3 does come out everyone else will have to make a new one if they even want to compete. PS3 is totally revamping the way console systems are made.

18. Vandral

Vandral Dark One Reborn

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Nintendo is making the next gen system as well. From what I've read, they're trying to make it the first portable console system, and backwards compatible with the Gamecube. I have no idea if that's a good idea.

19. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The recent rumors are that all three will release final specs soon and will ramp production for release for Christmas 2006 or 2007. It depends on what Sony does. Nintendo and Microsoft are paranoid about being a year late again so they are trying to release either at the same time as the PS3 or if possible a year earlier. The reason Sony is moving forward so soon (they had planned on a 2008 release) is that their cpu brain (a 'revolutionary' cell architecture chip) is now completed and functional.

20. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    PS3

The system was presented by Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi, who confirmed that it is on track to launch in Japan in Spring 2006 - scotching rumours earlier this week that the company could pull a late 2005 launch out of the bag. Microsift is anticipating a Fall/Winter release for the XBOX 360 and Nintendo hasnt confirmed any date yet..

As expected, the Sony system will indeed be called "PlayStation 3", and will be based on the brand new Cell microprocessor which has been co-created by Sony, IBM and Toshiba and a new graphics chipset co-developed by Sony and NVIDIA.

The PS3 is set to use a single Cell CPU at its core, which will run at 3.2Ghz. The system will boast around 2.18 Teraflops of performance - almost twice the raw performance of Microsoft's Xbox 360, if the Teraflop statistics - a measurement of how many of the floating point operations crucial to the graphics and physics in modern games can be processed per second - from both companies are to be believed.

Like Xbox 360, PS3 will have 512MB of RAM, but unlike its rival console, which has a unified memory architecture that shares RAM betwen the CPU and GPU, it will divide that up in much the same way that modern PCs do - with 256MB of very high speed XDR main RAM running at 3.2Ghz, and 256MB of GDDR graphics RAM running at 700Mhz.

The graphics chipset, meanwhile, has been named the RSX - which stands for "Reality Synthesizer", as opposed to the "Graphics Synthesizer" that powered the original PlayStation 2. Never let it be said that Sony let an opportunity for a pretentious name pass them by. The part, which has been manufactured by NVIDIA, is described as being more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra boards, which are the current top of the range PC graphics solutions, and will output in HDTV resolutions all the way up to 1080p as standard.

BD-ROM discs, based on the Blu-Ray standard, will be the main media used by the PS3. Each can store up to 54GB of data, around six times more than current dual-layer DVD discs, and the system will also be compatible with existing DVD and CD games and media.

Looking past the impressively powerful core specification of the machine, Sony's ambitions to turn the PlayStation into a home media hub are readily apparent in the wide range of ports and media connections which the system sports.

Along with the expected network port (Gigabit Ethernet), AV multi-out port and SP/DIF optical audio out port, the PS3 also has two high-resolution HDMI video ports, slots for Memory Stick Duo, SD Cards and Compact Flash cards, six USB 2.0 ports and - like the Xbox 360 - a slot for a removeable 2.5" hard drive module.

All of that will enable the system to perform a wide range of multimedia functions, surpassing even the feature-set of the company's own PSX convergence device which was released in Japan around eighteen months ago.

Among the previously undisclosed abilities of the PS3 will be internet browsing functions, video chat using an EyeToy style camera peripheral, photo archival and browsing, and of course, advanced video and audio playback functionality.

Intriguingly, the two HDMI ports can drive two entirely independent HDTV displays - a feature which could allow users to, for example, play a game on one screen while video-chatting with all their fellow players on another.

Last but by no means least, the controllers will be wireless as expected, and out of the box the system can support up to seven controllers using the Bluetooth standard for connectivity - no more multi-taps, then. The console also has built-in 802.11b/g wireless networking.

--Take some of the techno babble with a grain of salt. Some of the more complex details are explained here: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/a...epartment_what_in_the_world_do_they_mean.html