Plans and resolutions.

Discussion in 'Spam....' started by I. R. Shogun, Jan 7, 2014.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    As you all may or may not be aware, I've gotten pretty heavy into magic(as in tricks, not the gathering or any of that robe and ritual stuff, although as Kel can attest I'm capable of doing tarot readings if the occasion arises) over the last year and a half or so. I'm pretty sure I made a thread about that earlier, but I've been told to make written resolutions if I want to make them work and while I don't post here too often anymore I still lurk a lot so I figured this was as good a place as any to lay out my plans for the coming year. This year, my goal is to take my magic to the streets a la David Blaine(although I like to think my personality is a bit better). Once the weather improves I'm going to take various associates out with me to complete challenges in this vein as a support network and people to make me accountable. The winter months won't be wasted either, I've already gathered a lot of resources to this end through December and I'm working my way through everything so I'll have as much in my arsenal as possible once go time occurs, be it amazing people or cheating at cards(which I'm also learning to do).

As far as the end of winter goes my only goals are:

-Finish watching all of the magic dvds and downloads I've accumulated(4 dvds and 1 download remaining) : succeeded
    -Figure out what tricks I like well enough to attempt in public : succeeded
    -Perform all of those tricks at least once to my associates/people at parties(I've performed most of the tricks I've got a good grasp of for people at least once, but there's still a decent chunk that have yet to be field tested) : Succeeded, but late

Past winter, whether I have all of the above accomplished or not(Items 1 is almost certain and 2 will follow, 3 is iffy though) these are my goals for spring and summer:

-Perform for at least one trick for a person I know but am not particularly close with(i.e. someone I know from high school but only see very randomly, this will probably have to happen at someone's job) : succeeded with a vengeance
    -Perform for at least one random stranger at a public place succeeded
    -perform at least 3 times for random strangers in the space of a day Succeeded +2
    -perform for random strangers at the local street festival this summer succeeded
    -perform for at least one other performer at said festival(last year I did these last two in a way, but I have a particular idea in mind for this goal in specific this time around) succeeded
    -Do magic for someone in a different location than myself(this one I did multiple times in the last year, across state lines and on separate continents, but I like being able to say I've fooled people from a distance so much this one is coming back. Plus I learned a new trick for it) Attempted, but failed, retried and succeeded
    -Finally get some videos on youtube(this one doesn't necessarily have to be magic related, but one of the ideas we've been kicking around is a magic series) : sort of succeeded

I've also got bonus goals that might not happen but if they do that'd be extra awesome

-Perform magic at a comic-con(I did this one at C2E2 last year but I want to do better magic than I did and I want to do more of it. This would be a primary goal but I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to any this year) succeeded
    -Perform magic for a TFFer(I did this one last year, specifically to Liv. Liv might end up being the recipient of the sorcelations this year too, especially if I make it to Chicago again, but I met another TFFer last year too. If I can't meet anyone face to face this goal could be what allows me to do the second to last item above at least once, although not necessarily with the new bit.) succeeded
    -Perform magic for an exhibitor at a comic con, specifically Victor Dandridge of Vantage:Inhouse Productions because he's always been very nice(he remembered me at C2E2 even though it had been almost a year and who knows how many cons since I'd seen him before) and I want to try and swindle him into making a magic character. If I can't get him to make a new character exploding his brain will still work for me. succeeded

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    HA!.. you do tarot card readings... I love having those.
    Whenever I go to a county fair or renaissance faire and someone's doing tarot readings I always duck into the tent and have one done.

Hey, what the heck, why not do a tarot reading for us on TFF?
    And since I'm first in line how about me?:)
    Pull the cards and tell me what I might expect for the upcoming year. Even if it's bad I'd still like to know.:)

3. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    YES. And if you'll upload something magic related it'll come quite close to performing for TFFers! :D

4. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    you should do video blogs!!!!

5. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    ^ What he said. :)

6. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I've actually only done the one for Kel, and I still never remember what any of the cards mean without looking them up. I don't tend to buy into any of that kind've stuff(tarot, horoscopes, etc) but it's still pretty fun. Once I remember where my deck is I'll shoot you a pm with your reading.

As for vlogging and such my main stumbling block with that is not having a camera(aside from the one on my laptop), but that's one of the things I'm hoping to make someone else on the team do since I'm shaping up to be one of two or three people with any talent hah.

7. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Good luck with this stuff I.R. It sounds awesome and don't forget to post a link to your Youtube channel. :)

8. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    My resolution is going to be 1360X768.

but for real, best of luck brother. It could be fun if you could PM me one of those readings too.
    Let me know if you need music done still.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    List has been updated to reflect progress.

10. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    The list has been updated, and I got the following reviews from Mr. Dandridge:

"No he just goes to cons and is awesome!"

"I'm mad I wasn't recording that."

11. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Not even half a year has passed and you've already crossed so many things off the list. Nice! Keep doing what you're doing!

12. olivia_the_lamb

olivia_the_lamb Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    The last trick you performed for me was awesome. I still want to know how that happened lol. Hopefully we'll be able to make it to see you soon and you can shock me some more with your awesome magics

13. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I guess that i am the only one here who thinks that card reading & horoscopes are completely bullsh~t, and that the magic are just some well coordinated tricks. Oh well.

14. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    You can think they are BS but still have fun with them. I have that kind of relationship with demonology and occult stuff. I even know what most of the tarot arcana mean! It can give lots of insight in stories that use them as themes. Mostly talking about video games from experience though.

IE: Penn and Teller

15. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    true :p

16. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    That's why they're called magic "tricks". It's not real magic. If magic was real I'd never have to do the dishes or my laundry or anything else that's annoying that I have to do. Tarot cards and horoscopes are fun. No need to be such a negative nancy anon!

17. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well i just find it ridiculous that people believe that their destiny is "written" in stars or in cards, or in coffee, We make our own destiny and live with out own mistakes, so I see these cards nothing more or less that lies, same goes with horoscopes; they are not fun, they are nothing and as Arya Stark recently said - Nothing is just nothing.

18. olivia_the_lamb

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    Well, some people probably think that your beliefs are silly. That's how the world works. Just because you think something is ridiculous, doesn't mean that it is. They may be nothing to you, but they can mean the world to some people, and to demean someone's world is just ridiculous in itself. And Arya was talking about death, not horoscopes.

19. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    1. I think I've made it pretty clear time and again that I'm a staunch materialist and don't believe in anything supernatural.
    2. I'm an avid supporter of the JREF and regularly go to bat for the skeptic community in battle against irrationality.
    3. I can explain to you, in scientific terms, why people believe in horoscopes and tarot cards and many of the popular theories of how religions and spiritualist beliefs rise.
    4. I said in the first sentence of the initial post in this thread that I do magic tricks specifically and don't believe in any of the ritual magic stuff.
    5. I'm fully aware magic isn't real, then again neither is anything in Game of Thrones. Astonishingly people can know, learn about, and be interested in things that aren't real and that's totally okay.
    6. I'm a practitioner of the art of prestidigitation, like James Randi and Harry Houdini before me. We of the magician community are often the staunchest opponents of people who claim 'psychic powers' or anything of the sort.

I like you Anon, you're generally a pretty cool member, but try to know what you're talking about before you go around making half baked assumptions about what other people think or believe in.

20. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Rereading that it seems a bit harsh, no offense Anon! I just don't like when people assume just because I think the occulty stuff is neat I also must think it's real.