Places from ASOIAF

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Salladhor Saan, May 9, 2008.

1. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    In Nasmiths art I don´t like the one of Harrenhal that much. It is like he is overdoing the gloomy part with the red sky. The buildings are ok, but the towers are perhaps a little to ruined.
    But apart from being bigger, i would think it would look more "normal" . It is not like it was build to be a ghost castle. And have an ethernal gloomy sky.

I think the Red keep is a little to outlandish for me to. I always thought of it more in the lines if
    a more traditional medieval castle. But I could just be to boring and conservative.

The eyrie is a little to shiny and pristine for something that has seen hard weather in the high mountains for centuries.

I never thought of the dragontowers on dragonstone, in quite such a literal fashion. Something about the size of them, compared to the base of the castle also rubs me the wrong, without being able to say why. It does make more sense when Melisandre talks about waking a stone dragon, to have the towers being realistic livesize statues of dragons.

But all my petty complaints are just that. Petty. These are fanstatic works of art. And i enjoyed looking at them.
    On a overall note they just seem a little to fairytale-ish, IMO for Martins gritty realism.

2. Ser Revok

Ser Revok Hedge Knight

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have to disagree. I don't think they are very fairytale-ish at all. I think they show the grandure and excess exhbited in many of the characters shown in Martin's story. That could just be me though. I can understand why you would think what you do but I don't think the locations relate to the overall gritty-ness of the story.

>___< I think I just said the same thing twice.

3. Daenerys

Daenerys Blood of the Dragon

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    All these pictures are brilliant! The Eyrie, Dragonstone, and Winterfell especially!

4. Kaelmarr

Kaelmarr Back | Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Wow. Those are very good. I would hate to have to climb the Wall. It's way bigger than how I think of it sometimes ;).

5. Daenerys

Daenerys Blood of the Dragon

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, same here. I read that its hundreds of feet tall, but somehow my mind pictures it just a few feet taller than Castle Black.

6. The Tower

The Tower New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks,
    this is my first post here so 'hello'
    over the coming months I will be creating a number of scenes from ASoIaF I have already begun my firs, its of Pyke, at the mo its in its infancy, I have not fully textured the terrain or added the models but here is rough look at what I going for!

Attached Files:

7. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Wow! That's some choppy water! True to the story though.

I never imagine Pyke with sun shining down. It's always cloudy in my mind. I like it. :)

8. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    cool pic Tower! nice work

9. Kakashi17

Kakashi17 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Valarya in its hayday had to be sweet

10. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    When you look at the Red Keep by Nasmith, you see the great sept of Baelor in the background on the other hill. With the seven towers and the dome, the style is kind of like a mosque. When I think of the small village septs it is mostly along the lines of european churches. Do you think the general style of septs in westeros is more along the styles of middle east buildings. Perhaps i am on a wrong track when I compare westerosi culture to medieval europe just because they have knights and castles. What would prevent european style chivalry and middle eastern style architecture to evolve side by side, just because it didn´t in our world.
    Another answer could be that the great sept and the Red Keep were build by thr Valyrians which came from the eastern continent, and their buildingstyle is more asian. While the buildings like Winterfell and Harrenhal that were build before Aagons conquest, by the andals and the first men, are more european in style. Sunspear certainly seem pretty maurish, and it were influenced by Rhoynish culture, and the Rhoyne came from the eastern continent. But it might also be to simple to just set westeros=english middle ages, and eastern continent =asian middle ages. It is Martins world and he are off course allowed to mix and swap cultures as he like.

I think I know what you mean with the grandoeur of the characters, shown in the architecture. Even thought I don´t agree that many of the characters show that much grandure. The characters in a song of ice and fire, are inflicted with tons of base human emotions, which is what make them realistic. And when I think about it I do agree that the grittynes of the story and the characters don´t have to effect the grandure of the surrounindings. In fact the contrast makes it better. Just because the Eyrie looks shiny with its seven white marble towers, it doesn´t prevent someone from showing an annoying B**ch out of a door. Thats human nature, whether you be in a small hut, or a big marble palace.

11. The Tower

The Tower New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Maester Joergensen,
    I agree with that, I think that the contrasting architecture is probably, if not deliberately, used to illustrate the 'age' of the particular town its in. IE Baelors sept pre-dates the red keep so it wouldnt have been built in the same style. It gives depth to the world GRRM created.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008