People Who Manipulate Others Emotions For Funzies...

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by RayCaptain, May 26, 2013.

1. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Doesn't require a rant.

If you get yours shits and giggles by playing games with other people's heads/hearts/whatever, I'd like to personally show you what a hammer might do to your skull.

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -1
    But don't we all manipulate each other to some extent?.. and if someone knows or suspects they're being manipulated, well then, they are no longer being manipulated. Right?

I mean I've got to get people to do what I need them to do at work, and sometimes it isn't pretty. I motivate when possible, and manipulate when necessary.

I've been manipulated by women, and in turn I've manipulated women. It's never my first choice or what I'm comfortable with, but it happens.

3. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    You misread what I said and that's a pretty... Idiotic way to think to begin with.

I said 'funzies'... You know, people that get their shits and giggles from it. It's a hobby, they do it for the sake of the doing it.

To actively manipulate anyone is, by nature, not right... But yeah, you misread. Try again later though.

4. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -1

It doesn't matter what the motivation behind it is, being manipulated is being manipulated. You do it and probably aren't even aware of it... or aren't able to admit it.

Oh, and cut the attitude.

5. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Loool... It does indeed matter behind the motivation, what a silly thought process... Then again, it's you so... Whatever.

[​IMG]

6. Moo Guru

Moo Guru New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with Ray on this. "Psychological manipulation is a type of social influence that aims to change the perception or behavior of others through underhanded, deceptive, or even abusive tactics." (Braiker, Harriet B. (2004). Who's Pulling Your Strings ? How to Break The Cycle of Manipulation). Manipulation is a purposeful intent to gain something at the cost of someone else.

Work doesn't count, if you need to manipulate rather than delegate, get new employees who understand what work is :p. And relationships, I expect there's always some gentle emotional blackmail by both parties, where the health of the relationship is increased by the adjustment of a mindset. Being called "manipulative" is insulting to most people, for a good reason. If your intent is to control and have power, yeah it's not healthy - it's probably closer to sociopathy or psychopathy depending on how far you push it lol.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -1

Sorry, but that sounds like one of those self-help books meant for people who endlessly need self-help.

And why do you consider manipulating someone's emotions to be always negative? I think most times, even when misguided, the intent of manipulating people is for positive and mutual gain. Parents manipulate children, preparing them for adulthood. New recruits are manipulated into becoming soldiers. We're all manipulated by society at large into being productive law abiding citizens, etc. It's no so black and white. If a person in my department is in danger of being fired then I usually want to manipulate things so that they can remain employed and even happy and rewarded at their job. Is that so bad?

We all have our needs and when we feel they aren't being met we manipulate the emotions of others close to us. I sort of considered it to be an essential part of being human. We want to get back what we feel we're giving. An exchange of emotions. Maybe it's not even bad or devious when someone plays with your emotions... perhaps they want to see what kind of reaction they get from you, see where they stand with you.

Are you really telling me that both you and Ray are angels and above manipulating a person's emotions? The little white lies we tell each other are kind of wonderful, in a way it helps us all keep going with life, connected. Most times when I'm manipulating someone it's because I want them to feel better. When they feel sad I feel some of it too and want to do something for them. I think there's many shades of manipulation from being playful and positive to devious and unhealthy, and in the end you're responsible for every personal interaction you have so ultimately you have to decide.

Doesn't Gandalf manipulate poor Bilbo and Frodo into taking the Ring on a perilous journey... do you consider Gandalf to be a sociopath?:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Moo Guru

Moo Guru New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Manipulation is not, nor will ever be, a synonym for training, which most of your examples are :p

And as Ray has already pointed out, he was referring to people who cold-heartedly do it for their own gain and gratification. As I pointed out, emotional blackmail isn't necessarily the same thing.

I can't speak for Ray, I don't know him. However, I tend to tell people what I'm in need of (when I can identify it) rather than go round in circles trying to cajole a response that may not be appropriate and may in fact miss the mark entirely. I'm brutally blunt by nature; I don't see the need for manipulation when you have trust and respect, it's usually better to be honest and go though mutual growth rather than have one rise above the other. *shrug* I may be delusional in thinking that about myself, but most people who know me know I don't beat around the bush or play mind games :)

9. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Ok.

Most people are not nearly smart enough to maliciously manipulate someone else. They mostly act out of self-protection and by doing so harm others.

Tur. Out.

10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    most people (read women) use other humans (read male) emotion, to gain what they want, it`s just how women works.

and I think, that rarely someone manipulates other for fun..at least I have not yet met such an evil being.Except cats. Cats are awesome.
    and come at me bro.

11. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    OMG anon!!!! that isn't nice and you shouldn't generalize in such a manner!

12. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    it just happens, so..most manipulate without even realizing it :p And in my experience usually women kind a controls via manipulation of emotion.

13. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -1

I guess it's all on how you decide to internalize it.

When a women is playing with my emotions I usually take it as a positive sign, she's testing things, has emotions invested in me. I take it as a compliment and deal with it accordingly. But that's just me I suppose.

14. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    The main thing is to know when you're being manipulated and at that point know to stop them. Men do it probably just as much; a lot of bullying and stuff is manipulation.

15. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    perhaps it's just you thinking she's manipulating you because you have feelings for her and she on the other hand doesn't even notice you feel that way and isn't doing it on purpose ;).

16. Julie

Julie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    I don't know who wrote it but there's no such thing as 'unintended manipulation.'

Manipulation without intention would be 'influencing'.

And manipulation solely for the fun of it, I think this is not so unusual. In every human being there's a longing for power, and manipulation is the summus of power,... I think it is common when people feel helpless in other areas in their life that they get kicks out of manipulating a person, so at least, they have something/someone to control.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Beldaran

Beldaran Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    don't know if you are referring to my post, if you did: i was joking (winking smiley :p)

18. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    I miss Bel :(

19. Tamago

Tamago 愛(kanji for love)

Ratings:
    +105 / 0 / -0
    I wonder whether there is such thing as manipulating other unintentionally. I'd agree with Julie on the matter, that is to say that when someone seems to ”manipulate” some other individual, one might actually ”influence” him involuntarily, rather than manipulating.

Now, I tend to agree with Ian, and I sincerely don't understand why there is any need for such an attitude, RayCaptain :eek:it seems rather odd that you are supposedly unsatisfied with people who have a certain uncomely attitude towards others (with regard to the act of manipulating those ”others”), and yet you act in a similar fashion (in terms of attitude, even though it is rather aggressive, than plain mean and funzy, I'd dare say there is a similarity both in terms of attitude and meanness). Or perhaps I do not know you very well, and I tend to interpret your virtual-wrriten language and manifestation wrongly.

Objectively speaking (as objectively as one can speak about anything) nobody likes manipulation for the fun of it (and this perhaps raises a problem of ”human behaviour”, or ”how some people are rather mean and inconsiderate”, etc). Even so, I find this is a very interesting psychological mechanism... and even though I find it unlikely that humans can manipulate involuntarily, I do think that, at some level, we might be able to ”manipulate” others instinctively, without putting much effort into it. I'm quite bad at manipulating others, for different reasons, certainly not because I am a goody two shoes, but because I lack certain affinities. :D However, even though I dislike the manipulation for the love of manipulating and hurting the other (as anything done inconsistently and inconsiderately, that might bring about disagreeable conclusions :eek:), I must confess I admire those who master the fine arts of manipulation (it is, perhaps, an essential trait in the business world, as perhaps it is in many other domains).

Now, this is something that caught my eye! :oops: Now, you know me, there's nothing that can make me stop once I started. Brace yourself! I'm only kidding, kidding! :p
    This is an interesting question: ”if someone knows or suspects they are being manipulated, they are no longer being manipulated. Right?”
    I don't know, bro, someone would say, I don't know what to say, the situation seems fishy enough to me. :D Provided the person has the ”capacity” and ”will” to ”stop” the manipulation, then that someone is no longer manipulated (by stopping the act), but if he does nothing to stop the act (which might be the case: maybe he unconsciously desires and likes to be manipulated), then regardless of his being conscious of being manipulated by the other, he is still manipulated. I suppose the definition of manipulation does not imply the fact that the ”manipulated one” must be in full mystery of the act of manipulation that is acted upon him (?) and if that's the case, then there's your answer!
    And you even seem to agree to such a point here (though, as I'd put it, you do so indirectly and perhaps subtly, unless you meant by the following comment that given the fact that you are aware of the manipulation, you start putting a stop to it -or perhaps you weren't referring to the act of manipulation, or something else -by ”playing with emotions”-, though I do not think that should be the case):

20. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -1

In another post, not on this thread, you discuss language... when is a "cat" truly a cat, or is it something cat-like... I think terminology is important when it comes to psychology. I think most people consider psychological manipulation to be negative and underhanded, but is it any different than being "persuaded" to do something?.. which somehow seems less negative, even a bit sly.

And I agree with you, that we all manipulate each other to some small degree, and do it instinctively, sort of a survival response. You admit that you're not so accomplished at manipulating people, I on the other hand have always had a gift for it. The positive way it's often described is, "that person has great leadership qualities"... but isn't still manipulation?
    I would have to say that in the end it comes down to regret and remorse, does a person feel those things when he/she has turned a situation to their advantage, and done so in an underhanded aggressive way?