PbP RPGs and how to use them?

Discussion in 'RPG and OOC RPG Discussions' started by Pentagamus, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Pentagamus

Pentagamus The Bulgarian

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    First of all, I am not quite sure if I should be posting this here, but I didn't see any place more suitable than this one. If I shouldn't be posting this here, please excuse my ignorance!

As a foreigner (a Bulgarian), I was introduced to PbP (play by post) RPGs through a Bulgarian PbP RPG forum. This happened a very long time ago (about 10 years) and it happened so randomly that, to this day, I can't remember how exactly I stumbled upon the forum. I was immediately hooked and kept play, until one day the forum randomly closed down forever.

Since then I have been doing PbP on and off. I have tried to make my own forums, but with no success. All of these forums were Bulgarian. My country has a very, very limited amount of interested players, unlike her, in the U.S. Thus, I gave up on the idea of having my own PbP RPG game world.

Until now. When I found this site, I came to realize what potential an English PbP forum has. Thus, I am planning on starting one. :D

I have a few questions, though.

As I am starting a completely new concept (an all English PbP), I decided that I should revamp the gaming style as well. Until now I have been playing the only way I know how:

"Someone introduces the story/objective; Player 1 writes the beginning of the story; Player 2 continues the story; Player 3 continues the story..."

Now, however, I decided that I want to implement some new ideas. Like a more tabletop-style of playing. Dice, stats, and all that.

The problem is that I don't have any experience in this style of game play, let alone its implementation into a forum-based RPG.

I would appreciate it if you guys give me some advice and help me develop a good (simple) RPG system for this PbP RPG idea of mine.