Paulo Coelho

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Unknown, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Unknown

Unknown New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What do you think about him? He is one of the popular and fashionable writers in the world. But I don't like him at all. I think his ideas are old and the style of spelling is primitive. May be I wrong, ad I'll be glad to know other opinions.

2. reem

reem Slaps forehead "Doh!"

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I only read three of his books:The Alchemist, The Fifth Mountain, and The Pilgrim or something like that. One thing I've noticed about all of his books (especially The Alchemist) is that they're not written for the sake of the story, more for the philosophy behind the story. Coelho is a philosopher, not a story teller. That's probably why you didn't really like his stuff.
    reem

3. Unknown

Unknown New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Philosopher? His philosophy are old and cheap. Tolkien is a philosoper too. But he is a real philosopher. Coelho is a commercial project. No more. IMHO, of course.

4. reem

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't think you can call his philosophy 'cheap'. But it is out-dated and unremarkable. Though he does sometimes hit on some interesting concepts. You should at least give him that much:)

Tolkien, on the other hand, deals with something more reccuring. Good versus Evil is a very classic theme, and you can't exactly call it original, but his style of portraying it is what makes it so appealing. But then, if you think about it (in terms of philosophy, that is), Tolkien is just repeating what all the other epic writers repeat themselves! It is only his world of Middle-earth and his creative characters that set him appart!

I say this even though I'm a big Tolkien-fan myself.
    Coelho isn't a bad writer. He touches on the spiritual. Not alot of people are interested in that sort of stuff, and his style does sometimes tend to be naieve and immature, but his concepts and generally sound. Or so I've found it. But that's only my opinion;)
    reem

Last edited: Jan 24, 2004
  5. Akasha

Akasha the high cost of living

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with you, Unknown. I despise him. I find his books and his ideas completely cliché and unconvincing. He is a commercial project indeed. He blends ideas from different religions, but he doesn't actually go for what they have in common. He just tries much too hard to please pagans, christians, etc alike.

6. reem

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You have a point there:) But still, I think you're being too hard onhim. His style is not altogether bad or boring, and I did enjoy The Fifth Mountain.
    reem

7. Akasha

Akasha the high cost of living

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ah well, this is only my opinion :p