Padme's death: childbirth or broken heart?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by RavenRock, Mar 28, 2006.

?

Would Padme have survived if Anakin wouldn't have strayed to the Darkside?

1. yes, she would have died in childbirth anyways, just as the vision predicted

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. no, she would have survived

31 vote(s)
    81.6%
  1. Mord

Mord The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    oh she would have lived

2. Mrs. Obi-Wan Kenobi

Mrs. Obi-Wan Kenobi Obi-Wan Kenobi fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think she would have survived because she died of a broken heart. And one more thing: how could LUke remember her and Leia not? My friend said Padme made eye contact, but I watched that part, and she didnt' make eye contact with either. Interesting.

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    You're forgetting one thing, it was Leia who remembered Padmé, not Luke, and I think it was Luke who made eyecontact since you see her talking to him in the movie. But we don't know exactly how much eye contact they made, besides it's not really about that. It's because Leia felt emotionally stronger to her mother and Luke to his father. They are suppose to be the same.

4. Hermione Malfoy

Hermione Malfoy Pureborn and Proud

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I think that she would have survived if Anakin hadn't become Darth Vader. I think that adds to the melancholy of Darth/Anakin, (yes I see them as two different people!) I think that Anakins conversion broke Padme's heart and going into labour for twins mustn't have helped. But I say that Anakin murdered his wife... it was possibly the reason why he saved Luke! To absolve that crime.

5. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Well if you see them as two different persons (so do I) then Darth Vader killed her, I think, not Anakin. It would be interesting to see, when does Anakin really become Darth Vader, cause no it's not when he got the title or the costume but it happened on Mustafar I would say.

6. Yoshi Master

Yoshi Master Mariologist

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    How many people have died from childbirth at a hospital in the last 10 years?

HMM!!??

Rediculous how she couldn't be kept alive.

7. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Ridiculous to compare a fantasy movie to reality....

8. volksmenner

volksmenner practitioner of æsthetics

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    i think it was a self fulfilled prophecy on anakins part. he misinterpreted the vision. yoda warned him. yet he still misinterpreted. i also think anakin instigated padme's death/childbirth through the force choke thus severely weakening her. her dying of a broken heart because anakin turned to the darkside is ridiculous. she had her children to live for. and if she forsook them because of a broken heart she is pathetic!

9. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Biologically and logically I agree, but it IS a fantasy movie, so......

10. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I agree with what you say partially RVSP. He probably misunderstood the vision, but the vision was coming true, whether he is responsible or not, it was inevitable. And how ridiculous it may sound, the damage of her broken heart was just let's say "beyond repair", even her children couldn't fix that. That is actually the point. There are several things that don't make sense sometimes in fantasy films, but they are there to keep the plot going. And Padmé had to die. Lucas could have easily changed it that she was also medically damaged...but that isn't fantasy. I guess he thought it would be more dramatic in a romantic way that she died from a broken heart. And if you would be as passionate as me about these films you would accept that.

11. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I concur, since dying of a broken heart would fit nicely into the sort of epic story that star wars has been made out to be. Besides, if Padme dies of a broken heart, that would make Yoda the only character in the movies to die of natural causes. Whether or not that is significant to Yoda's character I do not know for certain.

12. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Actually, a recent medical journal published information about something called "stress cardiomyopathy", which is also known as "broken heart syndrome". I person who experiences a traumatic event can emit so much stress chemicals that they stun the cardiac muscle, appearing to put the person into a heart attack. I imagine that, coupled with the physical stress of childbirth, a stress cardiomyopathy may well have caused Padme to die.

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    Indeed it is possible to die of a "broken heart". But still it's different here, like they said in the movies medically she was completely healthy. And like I said in my former post. She dies because of her losses. And I don't care if people call it bad writing. Those people just don't understand what the movie tries to symbolize.

14. Aerosia

Aerosia Luna Vinco

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know that the whole idea is "what if" Anakin didn't go bad, but the way that I see it, it was all just meant to be. It was dictated by fate, or you could say, the force, that she would inevitably die. If you look at it, the dream showed Anakin the suffering and death of Padmé. And because of that dream, he became possessed with the will to save her no matter the cost, and inevitably, he turned. The dream is the root motive.

I think the real question should be, "What if the dream never occurred?" Then I would say that it is highly likely that Padmé would have survived.

However, another possible theory is that Darth Sidious implanted the dream inside of Anakin to try and begin to lure him because obviously he knew of Anakin's potential and wanted him to turn, blah blah blah. And then one would proceed to ask "what if Sidious never did it? Would then have Padmé lived?" Then my answer would be that the force is responsible for it all and you cannot question the force :p

But all in all, you can't really make money and have a great story if Padmé had lived and Anakin had stayed good. It's Lucas' idea and as such cannot be changed.

The idea of the "what if" question is appealing to most but to me there's only "is"es. As Yoda said, "No try. Only Do."

But those are just my thoughts.

15. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    the vision said that becasue it new that anakin would turn

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    No, that's not really how it works. It's a talent that Anakin has, not all Jedi have it, maybe it is there indeed for a reason, it was really a warning that Padmé was going to die and maybe it was a vague warning that if he was going to try to save Padmé he would turn to the dark side. Same with Luke who sees himself as Vader which tells two things. Vader is his father and he was becoming like his father. The vision of Cloud City he had later also warns him from a certain point of view that he shouldn't go, but still he does.

Something interesting I digged up is from a deleted scene in episode III. Obi-Wan talks to Padmé about being concerned about Anakin, you actually see a scene later where Anakin feels that Obi-Wan was at her residence. Anyway back to the scene...

It describes more of the prophecy which I thought had a few more interesting points next to what Obi-Wan says about it. Obi-Wan talks about training Anakin was kind of a mistake to begin with. Qui-Gon knew that Anakin was the Chosen One so what he concludes as a Jedi is that he should be trained as a Jedi. That is why Obi-Wan even calls the Jedi biased...It's a Jedi Prophecy so the Chosen One should be a Jedi, but he reveals that the prophecy does not tell at all that the Chosen One would become a Jedi, not at all. It is actually just ignorance as he calls it. Remember what Yoda said "A prophecy that misread could have been." Well that is what probably the thing that they read wrong. Anakin should not have been a Jedi....And what happens...The Chosen One brings balance, but is he a Jedi? No...That is afteral how he brings balance, kill the Sith by killing Palpatine and himself.

But was it wrong of Qui-Gon to take him to Coruscant to train him as a Jedi. I'm going way off topic now actually. No it was suppose to happen. He still had to be trained otherwise how could have become strong enough to defeat Palps or let's talk about an earlier era. How could he get the chance to come even close to Palpatine if he wasn't trained. The Jedi made him strong, that power attracted Palpatine so that is Anakin's ticket to getting close to him.

More details...why did this massacre have to occur? Was it also suppose to happen...yes and no. Obi-Wan explains himself that the Force is still a great mystery. The Jedi follow the Will of the Force, but that alone is still a great mystery to him. I don't have to repeat that Anakin didn't slay palps because of influence and mixed emotions in ep III. That much is clear. But there are other things to think of. Did the Will of the Force want Anakin to kill Palps at that exact moment? Maybe...but other things besides Anakin, Padmé and Palpatine were occuring. The Republic was getting corrupt and not just because of Palpatine. There is some truth in what Dooku thought, that the Republic was beyond saving.

And the Jedi Order even got to a certain mess as Yoda explained in episode II, so drastic changes had to be taken...what could change such a giant thing, I'm speaking of the entire galaxy. A huge revolution. You have the Clone Wars, The Jedi Purge and the Civil War all together. All of it is what saved the galaxy in the end...it was just time to start over and rebuilt, which was the task of Luke who had to rebuilt the Jedi order and Leia who would probably end up as a senator or the new Chancellor of the New Republic. Not like what the novels say. She would never train to become a Jedi.

17. Aerosia

Aerosia Luna Vinco

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Very valid, excellent points Ani. However, what's that all got to do with Padmé's death? :p

18. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I told in my post I was going off topic, the only reason I can see which connects this with Padmé is "was it meant to happen?" ; )

19. Aerosia

Aerosia Luna Vinco

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Haha ok then. :)

Search tags for this page

did padme die of a broken heart