Orcs - Stan Nicholls

Discussion in 'General Books' started by evadra, Jun 7, 2011.

1. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I started reading this book (or 3 books) last week, am near the end of the second book and I am still not able to make my mind up if it is a good book or not. Has any one else read it? If so your comments are welcome but please refrain from spoilers.

My main problem seems to be that there is sometihng missing. I can't quite put my finger on this though. It could be:
    -the lack of believebility in the world (I feel Nicholls does not build the idea of this world up enough, there seems to be too many species, it seems very small and everyone knows everyone).
    -the lack of raport with the characters, they are orcs so just don't identify with them
    -the apparent lack of a misson of the main characters, it is kinda unbeliveable for them to amble around the way they do.
    -the fact that they are always lucky, and kill everyone but never get killed
    -the names of the books, they dont seem to hv any relevance on the story line, unless it is all to do with the pellucid, but if that is the case that doesnt have a big enough role in the story to my mind
    -the ease at which they went off from their orgional plan without a prior building of resentment to the way they were.
    -Queen Jeneesta....her character is just odd, what is she queen of? the whole world?

I am rambelling now.......it is almost as confusing as the film I am watchinng.......

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I thought the series was good overall - I mean I liked it. I think some parts of the story are little tricky to get to grips with, but most of it explains out in the end what is going on and to whom.

Oddly I haven't managed to get into his badblood series (the second orcs one) at all - it just starts too - DnD party style.

3. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Don't get me wrong, it has its moments. Just at points I find the the story line a bit unbelievable. There's all these different races but they don't seem to number very much, as in 30 Orcs seem to think they can walk into an entire kingdom, take what they want and leave......I will read that last book though, out of curiosity if nothing else.

4. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    To be fair against most odds 30 trained soldiers in old times could do a lot of damage - communications were slower and many settlements would only have militia forces; who would mostly be there to keep the peace against small crime and uphold law and order - not fight off trained organised soldiers.

Also they are orcs - so instantly gain a lot of added strength over humans in general

5. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I always took orcs for generally weak fighters, large in numbers but one on one fairly poor. I am no expert at all. And I understand why alot of the time they were the better fighters just by that being their profession, but each time they don't have an casualties......they are outnumbered most of the time, someone would hit a lucky strike and take one down at least!

6. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Orcs as fighters tend to be depicted as stronger, bigger and, overall better than humans. The brute image though tends to come with dimmness in many areas, which is why they are often poorly armoured and in need of large numbers to overcome better tactics of humans or elves.

These orcs though are brutish and smart - so they've got their physical superiority mixed with a good mind. Also I'm pretty sure some of the orcs don't make it all the way through - though most are the companies grunts.

7. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure/hopefully more will die by the end of the books, so far (and I'm almost 2/3 of the way through) like 2 or 3 have died maybe.

I guess my view on orcs before reading was a bit lowly, I had just finished LOTR where they seem pretty easy to kill.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  8. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Think of Stan's ocs more like Uruki (sp) than the orc from LotR (which whilst not amazing are not that weak nor totally foolish, just evil)

9. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have started to think of them like that. I am quite a novice in the general world of fantasy, I have not read that many books, so my ideas can be a bit off the mark.

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I think its best to always approach fantasy creatures with a base in something like Tolkien (because his work is very influencial to a lot of mordern fantasy writing) or even Dungeons and Dragons (again a lot of influences); but to always leave the mind open to let the writer create their own creatures.

As such you get those who will use the "stock" elf or orc - skipping full development and letting the general idea of a creature like that to take over - whilst others will create their own ideas.

11. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I think that is one problem with Stan Nicholls is that he doesnt build the idea of the Orc, he just seemed to leave it to what you already had in mind, well initailly any way, obviously the whole book is supposed to change your view.

12. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Aye a fair few authors do that - though with Stan I think he expects you to start with the idea of - big, strong, mostly dim, good fighters, evil -- and then makes a move to change some of those factors through the story.

13. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I knew they were big and strong, I just assumed they were on a par or below of fighting skills with humans.
    i think maybe if there was a chapter or two as more of an introduction to the wolverines and their reputation before launching into the story first he could have eased me in a bit better.

14. evadra

evadra New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I have just finished all the books (or one book what ever way you want to look at it), but still I feel so meh about it. It had its moment when I thought yea, this is good. But then it would get to a point where again i would think, where is this going? I felt as lost as the characters must have. This may have been the point to the book but if it was it didn't click with me.
    Also the "stars" I thought were a let down. They could have done more at the end when they finall had them all. The last big battle and the ensuing scenes really had me confused. I was ether reading too quick and not taking it all in or it was badly written. I just didn't get what was happening at times. I thought it would have been a better idea if Stryke had rallied with all the other desrters and made a big army to take on the nasty queen with the new power her had found in the stars......again probably not the point of the book. Also some of Nicholls writing style annoyed me, I felt he could be quite repetative in places, using a term 3 times in a page and then not using it again in the book. I know I am repeating myself here, but it is just how i felt about the book.
    I guess it just didn't click with me, wasn't all bad though.

:D

Also the short chapter at the end " The Taking" should have been at the begining.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011