OOT paradox

Discussion in 'Zelda' started by Yoshi Master, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Yoshi Master

Yoshi Master Mariologist

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Warning, spoilers!

At the very end of OOT, Ganon is banished to the Evil realm, and Link is set back 7 years to his original time. Thus, everything is as it should be.

Wrong!

Ganon was sealed 7 years in the future, so if Link went back in time, Ganon would still be alive. The future is the only safe haven for Link once he seals Ganon, because if he stays in the past he will eventually have to defeat all the temples and Ganon over again.

Did I miss something or am I correct?

2. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Funny you should bring that up. If you go to gametrailers.com, and search for the Legend of Zelda Retrospective: Part 6, you'll see that your observation has become the bases for the "split-timeline" theory. It is widely held by many fans that sending Link back to the past in order to have a childhood caused a rift in the timeline, allowing two parallel timelines to exist. I'm serious, watch that video. If you cannot find it on gametrailers.com, look for it on video.google.com because it's seriously worth your time.

In fact, try this:
    http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?e...m/video/search?ei=UTF-8&p=zelda+retrospective

3. kleko

kleko Scum of the earth

They are watching me. I know it. They are everywhe
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    hmmm.

4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    yeah the split timelines theory is an interesting one.

but regardless, at the end of the game link is sent back after ganon is sealed away and zelda as the seventh sage does the sending so we're assuming it also involves preservation of the timeline where ganon is still locked away.

5. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    That is precisely why a split time line is completely unworkable even though it is perhaps correct in terms of game chronology. If Zelda sends link back to the past creating an alternate time line then the events of the original time line from the point at which he is returned never happened, so the original timeline would no longer exist (also making the whole OOT game an exercise in pointlessness).

These paradoxes are an inherent part of using an impossible mechanism like travelling back in time and should probably not be analyzed too deeply as its simply not going to make sense. This is why I believe the split time line is probably the intended chronology even though it will always have wholes, it seems to be the best fit with other games.

However, on a personal note, I absolutely hate it in books, movies, games, television shows, etc. when an entire story arcs become effectively erased for major characters via deus ex machina time travel (ex: Zelda, Witchblade, Smallville), memory loss (ex: every soap opera ever made) or removal (ex: The Dark is Rising series), "it was all a dream" (ex: Dallas), etc. There are many more than those examples and its usually very annoying.

While the LoZ is my favorite video game series, there is one other thing that annoys the crap out of me. Why is it that Zelda's always doing things that either create the negative situation to begin with or that you just have to then go and undue fix it. Why break the pieces if she's just gonna have you put them back together? Why tell link to remove the Master sword to fight Gannon with when that is precisely what releases his evil power? Why send the boy back in time and possibly screw up two futures when it's already turned out fine the way it happened originally? For an all powerful princess she is none too bright.

6. chimera_789

chimera_789 Queen of Air and Darkness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    duplicate

7. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    well A, zelda doesnt use time travel as a deus ex machina to solve problems, problems are solved during the storyline, of which timetravel is only a part of. they never timetrvael to undo anything.

And secondly, do you really think in any of those cases zelda believes ganon will get the best of them, she sends link tot he temple of time to keep the triforce out of ganons hands, instead he outsmarts them (she is just a little kid)

Also it hasnt turned out fine at the end, theres been 7 years of ganons reign, countless people dead, the castle and the town in ruins, the zora population dead (or just frozen depending on your interpretation) and all hyrule is still full of monsters.

She sends him back to return to him the childhood that was taken from him, and in this case, we're using timetravel as a mythological concept, not your standard timmachine variety, ganon got sealed away in the sacred realm, lets say effectively removng him from the timeline/timespace and thus why going back doesnt redo his problems.