OOC Thread - RPG #14

Discussion in 'RPG #14 - The Children of the Crimson Sea' started by Nienor, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    btw, Onime, if you'd like a banner and avatar set, I could make one up for you :D if you have any pics you really like, or just a general idea in mind, I could do something

2. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Hey, i enjoy playing the meanie roll sometimes, mainly because i get to strut some scientific knowledge and excercise ym rampant 'holier than thou' tone of arguement. Also i know from experience how hard it is to say no to people when youve already let them in, RPG 3 was my own creation and i didnt excercise enough restraint (we had someone trying to get a medieval equivelant of a rocket launcher. which wasnt the worst thing out there), so now im being very hars about it so im sorry.

3. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    don't be :d saves me some pain! ;)

4. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    hahahahaha, youre grateful for my annoyances now, so you HAVE to accept my arguement about flying in wet weather!

MUWAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH

is it so much to ask for realism? troublesome flying in high winds, and grounding during rain and storms (light rain would be a hinderance but i suppose you could fly for a bit untill enough water was accumulated.)

5. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    okay, I'll give in - they can fly in it, but not so comfortable and with some trouble. Happy? :p

6. Morgan_of_Salerone

Morgan_of_Salerone New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    *shakes head with a smile* You guys make me laugh... Hey Cru, are you going to extend this rain arguement to the great-eagles? If you are, I might just have to side with Sen on this one. :p

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    All right, will do... but I have a question: is it ok if my chars aren't precisely standard Rasvan?

And if someone could answer my eariler question about Sen's wanting my chars to be trained by Traian...

8. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    sure, that still works, I guess. Maybe that uncle himself was a renegade Rasvan...hmmm...would you be interested in the idea of the other Rasvan 'excommunicating' your charas, or something like that, because of their 'renegade' ways? That would sure make it interesting if our charas met :D

9. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    btw, Morgan, I have monday, tuesday, and wednesday off, and work the rest of the week. Monday night I'm going to PG, but other than that we should arrange something :D Have you done any watercolors since the ones you showed me last?

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Sounds very good. :D I'll write something about that in my next post, maybe.

I now have two complaints:
    1) Sen needs to hurry up with the Rasvan stuff so that I can post. :D
    2) Sen needs to hurry up and post in #9 so I can post again. :D

Lol, j/k... on your own time. :p

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    It applies doubly for great eagles, as theyre already carring the weight of riders (is that it?) so extraneous elemental forces will be even worse.

And they need to eb fully grounded in heavy rain, thats a must for all the winged peoples/creatures.

12. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    :p I'm not giving in that much! they'll fly in heavy rain, but it'll be very difficult. And that's as much as you're getting! lol this is like bartering a sale!

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Hah, maybe but ive bartered in china and got some damn fine deals too (got screwed too but thats none of your concern).

No, now im going for the debate apporach. Sen, flight in heavy rain is impossible for birds, and for creatues with a smaller central mass such as winged people (thus weaker by conparison) it is going to be mroe than impossible. Im sorry but it violates physics and realism for them to fly in heavy rain, therefore you are going into the realms of Magic, and by your own words we're keeping that to a minimum.

NO flying in wet weather.
    Limited (manouvreability and time) flighy in light rain.
    NO flying in heavy winds
    light winds are fine.

and to add to ym demands; wheres mrogan with my details ont he children of the storm?

14. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    LMAO, Cru, you make me laugh. :D Maybe if Sen changed their size into something smaller, would that satisfy you?

And as for rain and winds, he's actually right, you don't often see birds flying in the conditions listed above. :p

I'm going to add to Cru's demand with: "Where's the details on the Rasvan?" :p :p

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i dont want their size changed. If i wanted to i could come p with a detaield arguemtn on why the whole winged peoples was impossible to start, but I'm reserving a little bit of tact and respect for the wishes o the author, but i want some damn realism in return!

16. Onime-no-Enishi

Onime-no-Enishi Dragonkin

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    You dont quite seem to understand physics in this part. At night, where there is no light, everything is a shadow. Its the shadow of the earth when the sun is on the opposite side of the earth. (notice how a ball is shadowy on one side when a single source of light is falling on the other.

Another misconception, Light DOES create shadows, BUT if you notice, the shadows fade more and more as there are more light sources. Thus thats where i get my logic of divided power.

Here you are wrong again, there wont be shadow on ground if the object is flying high because the light reflected on the surrounding area dispells the shadow, but there is shadow on the object itself. And there will be shadow on the ground when the object is flying low. And in the air, there will be shadow, however, you cannot see it because the shadow is lying on invisible air, if there was a fog or a colored gas there, the shadow would be shown clearly.

This would be the only part you are correct in your statement about shadows.

>>; so patches of ground not touched by light because blocked by an object isnt called a shadow..... i see.... (sorry >.< can't resist the sarcasm here)

Light doesn't diffuse around an object, on the ground, it may appear so, as light reflected on surrounding objects land on the object itself, but in the air, it may happen too, however, there will always be shadow, no matter how slight it is (there's shadow even on ground).

=S true dat, oh well.

well, let me list down his weaknesses and several scenario's that can have him utterly killed without effort.

Weaknesses:
    Light
    Direct Combat (weapons are delicate and fragile)
    Cannot withstand much punishment
    though stealthy, is a big hulking bird-man with large wings, without his shadows, he is easily spotted.
    Cannot maneuver as much in the air as the rest of his kind, he is trained mainly on the ground, where it is rich in shadow.
    not so proficient with weapons other than his talons, which he trained vigorously with, thus, do not have time to train with other weapons. (He needs to train to master his shadow too)
    <insert Shadow weaknesses listed here>

Scenarios in which he can die in.... easily... (from the logical to the bizarre):
    -Stuck in a brightly lit room with no objects inside
    -Stuck in a birghtly lit area with objects not large enough to conceal him and his humongous wings (shadow cant extend into strong light)
    -Discovered, and is attacked by a muscularly strong being.
    -In a dark cloudy weather, goes out into the open towards his target when suddenly the clouds moved out of the sun's way and a large black figure is spotted in the middle of the bright surrounding.
    -While sneaking, some sudden accidental arrow hits him >>;
    -If there is only a small hiding spot, though he is not visible, he is still there >>; send someone to swing at that area until they see blood.

But nvm, despite all these arguments, i think he wont be accepted anyway, ill try think up another character =S and before i start, i want to know EVERYTHING about traians =p u mentioned "elemental" powers, what kind of elemental powers do you mean? =o

EDIT: Err and cru @_@ i dont mean to sound mean >.<

and about the avatar and banner, sure! i'd love to have one =p i was planning to create my own, but can't find the time to draw up one. >>; was in the process of drawing penna atra, but i think ill scrap it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Haha, dont mean to sound mean, good pun, but also from all the criticisms ive given youve got every right to throw them back at me. and i wouldnt throw the charcter in unless sen says no fully, im just some annoying person poking my nose in where it doesnt belong so dont mind me if you dont want to.

Now before you quote me on physics remember I have studied Physics on an AS Level standard as well as some minor moments as an archair physicist (but thats mainly theories on time travel).

Let me wrap up the defition of shadow for you, I didnt neglect anything.

Shadow is an area of darkness created where a lightsource has been blocked.

and nothing else, patches untouched by light are not shadows cast, hold a ball between the wall and a lightbulb, the dark circle on the wall is the shadow, the dark half of the ball is not, a shadow must be something cast, caused by the object but not on the object itself. In night there is no light to cast shadows, there is only darkness.
    Light DOES diffuse before you say otherwise, its one of the fundemental laws of physics so dont even begin to deny it. Now the sun is millions of mines wide, its light spreads across the whole surface of the planet in every direction, a small object in the air casts no shadow because the rays of the sun come round it as some many angles and diffuse, by the time the light reaches the ground it has already filled the area blocked by the object as this area is small and there is lots of sunlight, Only objects big enough to cover the entire surface fo the sun will cast shados, and dim ones at that like thick cloud formations (as an exaample of diffusion, remember when the sun is covered by clouds it doesnt become as dark as night beneith them because the light diffuses and reflects to benieth it, it just isnt as strong).
    Also there is No shadow on air, i dont know where you thought up that one but you cant cast a shadow on air. I dont even know how you thought to get away with that :D.
    Just remember, night and dark patched on the body arent shadow, theyre luck spaces lacking in light, darkness, a shadow is an event caused by an object, When you shelter in the shade you do so in the shadow of a tree, the shade isnt th eunderside of the leaves.

18. Onime-no-Enishi

Onime-no-Enishi Dragonkin

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    =o however, shadows CAN be casted on air, a colored gas will get a shadow casted on it. and the dark half of a ball is considered the shadow of its frontal half (dont look at things the way they are, they are built by atoms, thus, even their shadows of each molecules [though it takes alot of atoms, and i mean ALOT, to cast a shadow visible to our eyes] are considered). shadows aren't restricted to walls or floors, they do fall on objects too, so if say an object that has two vertically protruding structures like twin towers stand between a lightsource and total darkness, the darkness that befell on the other structure from the one nearer to the lightsource isnt considered a shadow? It is a rule in light physics that wherever there is light, there is shadow. And in the night, you have to broaden your views to the entire planet, the earth is about the shape of a sphere (though its a little more towards oval), and the sun on the other end.

And about the diffusal of light, light travels in a straight line, because the sun is considerably a large object, the two ends which it emits light will surround the object:

..._____ __ __ __ __ __
    ../........\ ......................---------------------__ __ __ __ __ __
    ./..........\.........................................................................---------------------__ __ __ __ __
    |...SUN...|.................................................................................................O_ __ __ __ __
    .\........../................................................__ __ __ __ __ __----------------------
    ..\____/ __ __ __ __ __---------------------

O - object
    __ __ __ and ------- - light rays
    ......... - cant use multiple spaces, so i guess this is my only option >>;

thus, the shadow will be ALOT smaller in the air, but there is always a small gap where it is possible for shadow to exist, because shadow can fall on the object of that which casted it, and on air. i mean, since when cant shadow fall on air? air particles are also objects which are good candidates to qualify to the description of having shadows falling on them. >>;

And i do my homework on physics too ;p

About the comment on the critisizms, dont worry about it =D i really like critisizms alot more than "i love the idea, added. NEXT!" kinda thing xP so dont worry, no hard feelings done at all!

PS: i hope the diagram is undesrstandable xD

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Understanable but youre very wrong on diffusion, and light doesnt act on atoms the same way as it does on grander scales. Individual atoms are too small, and the light of the sun too strong, its the whole difusion thing again in the air, the electromagnetic ray of light doesnt pierce the outer electron layer the same as it falls on a ball, the reaction is very veyr different.

Lihgt does travel in straight lines, but it is considered both a wave and a ray (dotn ask me how i didnt study it in that much depth) but it does behave like a wave in some cases diffusion for one, the young's slits experiment is a famous one for that. Light difuses, expecially strong daylight as theres so much of it, and example would be if you were in a dark room and someone opens the door, the light is outside and they come a step in, its to theback of them but you can see the very edge of them, if light didnt diffuse all you would see is a black silhouette. In the air theres hundreds of metres, and in light as potent as direct sunlight this effect is a constant, combines with dull reflection from the ground.

now lets think on your diagram, its nowhere near to scale the sun is huge and the earth tiny, not think of the middle of the sun the area the size of your object, two parallel beams of light leave that co around the edges and touch the ground, this area is tiny as the sun is so big, the space between these would eb a shadow. But this light is coming from the centre, as you work outwards the thousands of miles of the surface there are nor areas coning to cross the edge of the object, but beause theyre further out, the light comes in at an angle and covers the area below the object where the shadow would be.

the closer the object is to the sun the more room there is for this to happen, we cast shadows on the ground because we are so close the light we recieve is straighter, above int he air its different and slightly angled so there is less shadow, the rest is covered by diffusion, and follow this experiment to demonstrate:

Get a lamp and shine it on your wall, now place your hand next to the wall, you will see its shadow s dark, but as you draw your hand back towards the light source it will begin to fade even if there is no other light in the room. this is diffusion in action, the further from the object where the shadow is cast the more the light diffuses and the shadow is lost. now this is just a lamp in a dark room with the wall no more than six or so feet away. In broad daylight, with the flying creature hundreds of metres above the ground with all the light of the sun on its back there is not going to be a shadow left.

back to the point about air, like i said air particles are too small and the behaviour of electrons limit theirinteraction with light, coloured gas is different, its because ti is coloured, the particles in it are big enough to see with the naked eye (which is a giveaway that light does interact with them) and big enough to have shadow cast on them. But as im saying the shadow is the area on the ground or other objects where light is blocked by whatever is making the shadow, if a shadow falls on coloured cas it does not fall beyond, if a shadow were to fall on air it would never reach the ground.

Now your two protrusions example, the sarkness that falls on the seoncd 'tower' is considered shadow but the darkness on its other side, and the same side of the first tower arent, these objects are blocking the lightand casting shadows on eachother but the shadow is the event caused the the blocking, the darkness on the object just part of the action. And object can cast shadow on itself, such as raising your hand up to shield your eyes from the sun, the shadow cast over your eyes is still a shadow but the underside of your arm is not.

and there is no written rule that wherever there is light there is shadow, such a rule is ridiculous especially when considering th elight cast into empty space by the sun that will not travel to other planets or anywhere, such light will never cast shadows.

and once again, night isnt the shadow, only the darkness caused by lack of light, the sun may be on the other side of the planet but we are not in the shadow of the planet, the shadow doesnt exist as it is cast off into space and the light of the sun, covering a wider area than the earth blankets it out. And there is nothing but the moon close enough tohave the earths shadow cast on it.

Darkness and shadow are essentially the same thing, lack of light, but it is a difference in definition and cause that determine their different natures, which is where you are mistaken.

20. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    You see what youre doing to us morgan and sen, not giving us the information we need to do this RPG youve got us resorting to debates, and no matter how much i enjoy ranting they always become too time consuming and troublesome, i want to get my character done!!!!!!

Search tags for this page

anyrasvan