OOC Thread - RPG #14

Discussion in 'RPG #14 - The Children of the Crimson Sea' started by Nienor, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Morgan_of_Salerone

Morgan_of_Salerone New Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    er... I'm going on without consulting Sen on this, but I think the half-blood between the clans would be acceptable. I'm gonna say that the Traian/Rasvan mix is off limits though. Sorry.

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    All right, I was planning on deleting the Traian part anyway. :) But I'll wait for Sen's confirmation about the half-bloods between clans. :)

Then the posting shall begin. :D

3. Morgan_of_Salerone

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    *excited*

*doubly excited*

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  4. Onime-no-Enishi

Onime-no-Enishi Dragonkin

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have a question =o
    Do the rasvans of the owl clan cast magic too? are they like the swans? just that they are more towards offensive spells while the swans are more towards support?

5. Morgan_of_Salerone

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The Rasvan aren't exactly my point of expertise, but as far as I know the Swans are the only Rasvan that use magic as a part of daily life. The other clans can use magic, but generally don't.

6. Onime-no-Enishi

Onime-no-Enishi Dragonkin

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    so er, what exactly is the difference between owls and the others?

7. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    okay, Sen to the rescue! :D:p The Rasvan are my babies :D Here's a bit on the magic and description of the owls:

The peak clans (all save for the owls and swans) do not use magic - they are very, very warlike and, well...yeah, onto your question:

I had originally intended only the swans to use magic, as I wanted to differentiate them from the other clans. I envision a much more elegant, oriental-like clan that use graceful swords and use *some* elemental magic. They're not like sorcerers, or magicians, or anything....they just pull some power from the elements, and use it in small things such as healing, communicating, and perhaps some warfare (when they are faced with battle). The owls...I haven't thought overly much about them, save that they are the most varied group of clans, as their coloring can range from grey to white to brown, as any owls we know. They are a more peaceful-like clan, and get along with the Swans for this reason. I kinda envisioned them as slightly more friendly to the 'other' races.

Basically, if you want an Owl chara, go ahead and be creative. Each clan has something that makes it just as powerful as any of the other, whether it be in lore or in fighting...(though I kinda envisioned the Owls to be adequate fighters, yet more...i really can't think of the word! I think their specialty would lie somewhere else, you can be creative with that) I only say, don't have he or she be some great magician, as mages et al don't really come into play too much in this medieval-like setting. It is perfectly plausible, however, that an Owl would learn some of the elemental lore from the Swans, etc.

Basically the idea is that we're trying to have as little magic in this world as possible - no magic fights (except for the case of a Swan using it in some way), rather big, bloody, steel and flesh battles.

8. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    EXCELLENT!

ive always urged towards the downplay of magic in fantasy as it seems to be overused, some cases it can be used successfully but its better to be subtle. (aSoIaF for one is very subtle with it).

plus the whole steel, bloods etc is much more fun to write.

Anyway if im allowed to join the character i had in mind would be a storm child and im going to ask this now just incase its off limits;

My idea was that he is some very high ranking general or admiral (storm/sea thing also the whole invasion is across the sea too so i dont mind). The thing is, with the whole invasion going on theres a lot of land up for grabs, and maybe he's feeling a little bit too ambitious for the rest of the storm children, so he breaks off with the men under his command to establish his own rule in tis new realm with himself as king.
    also a point i thougth could be good would that it may just start with some simple regicide (attempted or not) and an attempt to seize the whole thing, but when plans go awry or he is unaccepted he is forced into this rebellion.

just a thought.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  9. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    oooo....regicide....:D I think that could work, but I'd have to wait for Morgan on that one - the Storm Children are her domain, as the Rasvan are mine :D

10. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    okay, and who cant love both the notion and the word itself.

Regicide!

11. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Lol... Morgan, I feel honored. :p

I'm looking forward to this RPG - I know that Liandrah has a LOT of magic, but I was thinking about creating a fairly magic-less world some day. :D

Sen, I know you said as little magic as possible, but does having the ability to be almost unnoticed by everyone despite wings and height count?

12. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't use some magical ability for such, but maybe if you modified that a bit by saying that they are good at staying in the shadows or quiet or some such natural skill, then go for it :)

As you can see, I'm steering away from magic as much as possible, because I've also been wanting a more medieval-style RP as opposed to a magical one. We can all vent our magical obsessions in Liandrah! :D XD

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    :D

Anyway, that's what I was planning on. Posting my first post now. :p

14. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    oh, goodie :D

15. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    i would still think a tall humanoid with wings would still be easy to spot by most people. maybe among the flying races themselves it may be more practical as their used to such sizes but among normal people its unlikely.

also i would mention that its not really practical/possible for people with wings or birds to fly during rain or storms due to heavy winds and rain, winds allow flight but with little controll, bu during rain the water is too obstructing and the weight of the moisture would weight the creature down far too much. (ence why we dont se ebrids out in the rain). Im just pointing that out now so no one gets mixed up in the future, and even in fantasy there has to be some realism (though i am going easy, the practicality of humanoids with wings is low, theyd need a chestbone 6ft out, but wheres the fin in that?)

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Cru, don't deny my fun. :D Of course it's not normal, only Zhirran and Jynariel can do it...

17. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    hey im not complaining, just stating the unliklihood and thus what a lovely talent it is.

but i stick with the water thing, you birdpeople are screwed when it starts raining! Ha Ha!

18. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    The only thing that struck me odd about your post, LDH, is how they fit into a closet and walked about a Children home without much difficulty. As the average winspan is about 20 - 25 feet, their wings would reach about 4 feet above their head. Oh, and just for the record, Rasvan don't really like to walk :D Their top-heavy situation makes it sometimes...a little uncofortable :)

And Cru, you do have a point - i thought about that when dreaming up the concept of these winged people, and, well...like you said, the possibility of a humanoid being capable of having wings of that size is very unlikely. That's why I've said earlier about the stature of the race is that they are extremely muscular, particularily in their top half. And about the flying in a storm - I'm just creating that they're very powerful, more powerful than your average bird, thus can negotiate storm-like conditions :D

19. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I just have to ad an extra :p to Cru :D

:p :p :p

Meh! How interesting would it be if they couldn't fly in the rain? ;)

20. Senekha

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    hey, how 'bout this: their wings have some special oil, like ducks, and the rain slides easily off without penetrating or weighing down :D

Search tags for this page

anyrasvan