Only for those who read all of Storm Of swords.

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Yoadm, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Yoadm

Yoadm New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What did you guys think of the "Red wedding" scene?

Personally it is the only moment in liturture ive ever cried. Terrible scene, though brilliant.

2. Patkun

Patkun Patkun, lover of bread

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    If you go back and read it again, and can see it coming, it's even worse, especially when Robb lets them lock Grey Wind up. He's so stupid...let's face it, he was never going to stay King anyway.

The most upsetting sections for me were when I thought Bran and Rickon were dead at Theon's hands. Robb and Catelyn were both adults and were dying fighting, in a way, but I kept imagining the scene with a Three-year-old, and a boy who can't walk, and in comes Ramsay...he really is the Bastard of Bolton.

My favourite single chapter, though, is the one at the climax of ACOK when Tyrion gets the battle fever on the bridge of boats. It's a side of him you never saw before.

3. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I'm looking forward to some dead Freys in the next couple of books. I never liked them much anyway.

4. Talan

Talan Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I read a spoiler about how Robb and Catalyn were going to die, and I still didn't see the Red Wedding coming.

I felt anger, shock, and sadness on that scene at the same time, and then I thought that Arya died in the chapter after that, I couldn't believe GRRM killed off three main characters and the North. Turns out, he just killed two and the North.

5. Nameless_Ranger

Nameless_Ranger New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I personally thought Robb was going to be killed by Jaime Lannister, one handed and all. That was probably the coolest thing Catelyn Tully has ever done in my opinion. She fought to the end, and showed a strength of character I hadn't noticed before. Robb deserved a better death though in my opinion. I hope the Blackfish avenges him in some way.

6. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I nearly stopped reading when Arya apparently died. It would have been too much.
    On the other hand, it is a wonderfully written chapter, with the tension building up in Catelyn's mind, and she doesn't know why-- a literary device unique to Martin, I think.
    The only cool thing Catelyn ever does is freeing Jaime.

7. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Possible Spoiler....

Maybe It's just the way i'm interpreting all your comments but if i remember right catelyn isn't dead. I believe the evidence is in the epilogue of the third book....I seem to remember she can no longer talk...but is very much alive...

8. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    That's right, Thoros brought her back. How can anyone forget that?

9. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I don't know....BTW just out of curiosity...I don't know if this is the right place for this...But I was wondering what people though of Stannis being Azor Ahia (spelled wrong) come again...Is he really or is that a hoax...

PS When Maester Aemon Targaryen 'looked' at lightbringer on the wall...and he said he felt no heat...nor was the scabbard burned...Does this mean it's the real deal...or an insane bit of trickery...

10. Seanachaidh_Leith

Seanachaidh_Leith Grey Storyteller

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    One of the few moments I that I felt bewildered and even betrayed from reading a book. That's the great thing about these, you get sucked in and feel what the characters are feeling. Very effectively done, too. Cant wait for #4 to come out.

11. king of beasts

king of beasts I have no idea

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The first time i read the "red wedding" scene I was completely shocked. However on re-reading the series I saw it coming from a mile away. The scene was definatly one of the biggest suprises I've ever read in a book. Masterful!!!!

12. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I can't say that I cried, though it was quite emotional and unexpected.
    However, I love aSoIaF because there are scene like the red wedding in it.
    There is always a level of surprise and suspense on what the future ( of the novels, at least ) will bring.

What I love most about GRRM as an author though, is his ability to make plot twists unexpectedly. I knew there was going to be some sort of massacre, but I did not see it coming in the red wedding.

13. Patkun

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ''I was wondering what people though of Stannis being Azor Ahia (spelled wrong) come again...Is he really or is that a hoax...''- Turgon

Azor Azhai is Dany. the dragons are Lightbringer. ''Born among salt and ash''(or whatever) sounds like Dragonstone, and Dany was born there while Stannis was presumeably born at Storm's end.
    Melisandre's backing the wrong horse here.

14. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    That's a very good point...You are probably right.... Tempered in his wifes blood would be the same as Drogo dying to help bring dragons...I wonder when it will become clear Dany is Azor Azhai come again...ie...the character in the book recognize it...

15. Numenor53

Numenor53 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

AMEN