Online vs Real Life

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by S.J. Faerlind, Sep 23, 2012.

1. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    So this question is of interest to me and I wonder what everybody thinks.
    Do you think your "online" personality behaves differently than your "RL" personality? If so, then which one do think ACTUALLY represents you the most accurately? I also wonder how/why people pick their avatars. Do you suppose that if we had a global TFF meet-up that we would all recognize each other and interact socially the same way we do when we're online?

2. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Great questions SJ.

Well I'd say that the biggest difference between my irl and online self is: im more shy irl. But other than that, im always myself. Its just easier to be more outgoing online. Wish i could be it irl as well, and im slowly getting there :)

My avatar.. well its the Dark Brotherhood sign, i chose it cause i love the dark brotherhood in the elder scrolls series :D

And if we had a global TFF meet up (which id love btw) I think we might with some, and not with others. Personal chemistry is still a big thing when it comes to interaction. Plus its harder to joke around irl as we do here on TFF, but it might work.

Edit: although id also wanna add, usually the online self usually just scrapes the surface, i don't really bring up all my shit on forums, its usually just happy, jolly stuff. So in that aspect, its like we only really see 1% of the people we actually talk to here.
    But you can always get an idea of how the people are. I don't think people would think i was that different between the two. I actually have met people over the internet irl, and its no big differences really. And I haven't been told ive been different either.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  3. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    My online personality is very different, I think. In real life I'm much quieter, and I'm much less likely to crack a joke. I'm a little bit self conscious actually.

My avatars are always images from my web comic because I prefer having handmade ones to others. More idiosyncratic that way.

Well, I'm still new here, so I don't think I'd recognise anyone but Cru, and y'all certainly wouldn't recognise me. Hopefully that'll change with time though.

4. Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn Author, artist, gamer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think I am a tad more open online than offline, and much less shy. I have trouble making friends offline, so the online world has really helped me open up and has even spilled over to offline. I think I'm a better person now for my online life.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I used to hang out at Asimov's Magazine Forum (until I was banned) and there was someone who questioned if the person they only new through forum discussions was anything like that in real life, that is could I actually be that impossible in reality. Someone else on the forum knew me in real life and answered, "no, he's even worse in person".

If you like me here you'd probably like me in person... if you really dislike me at TFF, I think you would really not dig me in person.

Edit> btw, this is by far the longest time I've ever been at the same forum without being banned. I'm no longer welcomed at all the other major SciFi Fantasy forums, and have been pre-banned on at least two SciFi forums that I never even posted on. Which tells me folks here are more tolerant... or I'm getting soft with age. Which I probably am. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  6. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    That's very true. I stay away from posting that kind of stuff too. Having the whole world reading my personal business just doesn't sit well with me. Besides, if I'm angry with somebody who hurt my feelings or did something bad to me in the past IRL, what if they recognized themselves in my post? All kinds of bad can come from that!

I think I get more outgoing as I get older. When I was much younger, it seemed to matter a great deal to me what everyone thought of me. As I age I seem to care less and less. I'll probably turn into one of those cantankerous old ladies that aren't afraid to state their opinion one day...lol. I think my "online" personality and "RL" personality are much closer to each other today than they would have been 20 years ago.

hopefully: stick around eh? :)

7. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    *laughs* You remind me a LOT of my brother Sparrow. I'd guess that when your passion for an issue gets the better of you there's just no filter. Am I right?

8. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

YES!.. I've never been one for formality and common courtesy.

I like to engage people and in return I appreciate being engaged. I think so much of our lives are wrapped up in false pretense and vanity that we sometimes forget who we really are.

9. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    It's weird but even though I'm forty I feel like my personality's still not fully formed. I still feel very much like a work in progress, and I'm not sure what I'll turn out to be should I get to make it to fifty or sixty or seventy. Hopefully not an angry, bitter, old man. :p

With you guys? You bet! :-D

10. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    To be honest, I have a lot of real life personalities as well. There are some general things, but I seem to fold myself into a niche in every group of friends and/or people I know. Including TFF.

That would be with my closest friends.

The picture I made in the Louvre museum. I really like that slab of bronze. The artist no doubt never meant the face to be torn up, but at some really intuitive way it really works. It's almost abstract art, created by reality.

I have it to represent me as a sort of understatement.

I don't think so :)

... that is, until I start to talk. In real life, I have a way of speaking in a rather descriptive (but, to my opinion, accurate) way, that seeps into my TFF character. People might pick that up. But just standing there, people'd think I'd be lost.

11. Hater`

Hater` headless hater

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think I am kind of the same online and real life :D So yea...but still I doubt you could recognize me, because Rarely visual idea of a person is made trough non visual representation.

12. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I think I'm mostly identical if you get to know me, perhaps more long winded and willing to express my thoughts though.

13. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    My online personality talks a lot more than I do. In person I hardly talk at all, I'm very quiet around most people and only really talk lots to close friends. I like my avatar because I know the artist who made it, it has attitude and it looks awesome. Does it represent me? Maybe the online version of me but not the real life one.

14. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Who did that pic by the way, Cru? I don't think I've ever told you that I think it's awesome.

15. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    It's actually done by one of my Uni teachers at school, Rona Green. You should check out her FB page to see more of her work, it's all awesome. She's my drawing teacher

https://www.facebook.com/ronagreenartist

16. Taliesyn

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    She's awesome! I "liked" her on FB. :-D

Okay, sorry for derailing the thread there everyone! Back to our normal programming...

17. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Really?

Probably a little of both ^^ :)
    If you think it will help I could donate a roll of duct tape ...? ;)
    (I know, I know... I'm cheeky but I couldn't resist!)
    *expecting an uncomplimentary comment from Sparrow now*

18. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    It's the mods and admins of this forum. Some of the other forums I use is run like a police state compared too here. It's so much nicer here with more freedom and I feel like I can actually speak and have conversations without feeling like I'm going to be "infracted". Every forum needs to take a leaf out of TFF's books that mods don't have to act like nazi's. It's great here!

19. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    hmmm..... I never thought of that but maybe that's also true. There's definitely a less formal atmosphere here than at other places I've been too. This forum also isn't quite so BIG either so you actually seem to get a chance to know people a little bit.

20. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah smaller forums are nice, but I've even been to other small forums where the mods run the place like some sort of police state. This forum is like a breathe of fresh air.