On crutches yet again!

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by Vsalia, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Vsalia

Vsalia dfm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So I have to use crutches for the next week or so. Apparently all the times i rolled/sprained my ankle in the last couple years has caused some kind of born spur. A build up of calcium in the area around my ankle. This last couple weeks, I've had this weird sharp pain on my foot, but I just ignored it, figuring it was just because I needed new shoes, but apparently that wasn't the case. So last night, I get home, and my ankle and foot just start swelling like crazy while I'm standing there making my supper. By the time I finished cooking and went to sit down to eat, I could barely walk. So after I finished eating, I COULDN'T walk, so I got my roommate to drop me off at the clinic, and I got it xrayed and learned of the diagnosis. So now I gotta make an appointment with my family doctor so I can get it dealt with. Until then, I'm on crutches.

Mother of all pearls though, it aches like crazy! That being said, I'll prolly end up having to take a couple days off work, so you may see me round these parts a little more frequent.

On a completely unrelated note, where do I find what the rules are in regard to the writing section of the forum. I'd love to share some of my writing but I don't want to break any rules in the process by posting it in the wrong section and what not.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    The writing section is under a bit of a restructure, however for now if you have segments or fanfiction wholes you want to post use the http://www.thefantasyforum.com/forumdisplay.php?321-The-Scribe-s-House

About the only trouble you can get in is if:

1) you post copyrighted material that you do not own the copyright of (or the distribution rights of). - ie posting someone elses work

2) you attempt to advertise your own books for sale. - this is a bit of a hazy area that we are going to rework and deal with - essentially we've no problem with contributing and established members mentioning and giving small advertising to their own writing - we draw the line when new members or members who only post to advertise try to abuse the site.

Hope that the Xrays come back with good results and that they can get you into a slot in good time to get your foot fixed up!

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Sucks about the ankle Smel. But I couldn't help but notice you say "all" the times you rolled/sprained your ankle in the last couple of years. All!? Just how often do you do it haha. I hardly ever sprain my ankle. Let alone heaps of times in just a few years. You need to work on your balance man!

4. Vsalia

Vsalia dfm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm a bit overweight, so if I hit the edge of a curb the wrong way, or the edge of a pothole, my weight and momentum cause me to roll it. Sometimes I've done it so badly, I can barely walk for like half a day lol. So it's less my balance and more just the shitty sidewalks here in winnipeg.

5. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Haha, there's another thread on this forum you might like. It's called "The bitch about your weight thread".

So what exactly is it about those sidewalks in Winnipeg that are different to other ones where you wouldn't roll it? I'm trying to picture a type of sidewalk that could cause this.

6. Vsalia

Vsalia dfm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, during the winter, we get frost underground. In the spring it thaws, and the ground sinks in places, so one sidewalk section will drop lower than another, there'll be cracks, and un eveness. So sometimes if I'm walking along paying attention to the traffic, I step on the edge of a ledge the wrong way.

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    What kind of shoes do you wear? Maybe a change in the shoes you use could make a big different to how you walk. A simple shift to something that offers more ankle support (eg walking boots) might be a good option or if its really a problem get a consultation with a foot doctor (I'm sure its got a name for it something long and with many syllables - orthopaedic?) - they might suggest a type of footwear/ankle brace/sock/insole approach that could really improve how you walk.

8. Taliesyn

Taliesyn It's a feral reality out there, kids.

Ratings:
    +423 / 2 / -0
    Ouch. That sounds hazardous. I think my eyes would be permanently glued to the ground if I lived in Canada. :(

9. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
  10. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    I used to trip over my feet nearly everyday; I have broken both of my ankle's as well as twisting and spraining and probably rolling my right ankle more times then could ever be counted as a older kid and as a teen. I found that wearing hiking boots did in fact help because laced up in those things even if I fell; the ankle could not twist as much. Hearing your story makes me glad I never wound up with that.

They tired to put me on crutches once when I was about eight the second time I had broken my second leg; o.o I nearly killed my self.

Good luck to you!

11. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    Live sucks... I recently spen the whole damn week at home, since I could hardly walk

12. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What did you do to yourself Jnk?

13. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -1
    :(
    Uneven sidewalks are killer! When I went to university, the walkways were interlocking brick and they were brutal for the same reason. I took more than a few (extremely embarrassing) tumbles just trying to get to class. Lots of people laughed at me when I was sprawled out on my face :p
    I too suffer from weak ankles until I started taking a dance class. A few months of that and I haven't rolled over on one since :)
    Hope you feel better soon!

14. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I actually went out to a really dodgy suburb last night and their sidewalks were shit. I rolled my ankle a little on one, not too bad thankfully. It hurt that night but by today it's fine again.

15. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +297 / 2 / -1
    Weak ankles really suck :( They also get worse/looser the more times you roll over on them. I did a really bad face-plant once when I was 9 mos pregnant with my first baby. I was walking across the living room and for no apparent reason rolled over on my right ankle. The darn thing was swollen and painful for days: not good when you're carrying around all that extra weight! :p

16. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I'm usually okay with my ankles, it's my knee I sometimes have trouble with. I'm actually really surprised how much worse the sidewalks were where I was last night, compared to being closer to the city where I live. I was in a fairly poor/scummy type neighbourhood and they were cracked, uneven and sinking everywhere. I wonder if there is a reason why the council doesn't fix things in areas like that.

17. Vsalia

Vsalia dfm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Probably because its a poorer class of people that live there, and less is paid in property taxes and thus less money goes to such repairs.

18. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    Its great to see more of you around here, I just wish it was under better circumstances. Hope you heal well and soon. Aching pains are annoying, especially the kind that doesn't really hurt normally but still manage to prevents sleep... hope its not that bad!