On Chesil Beach

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Tamago, May 23, 2018.

1. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    Has anyone read Ian McEwan's book, On chesil beach? They are also making a movie, though I don't know when it's going to be released or if it's already had (I'll look it up). I haven't read any other books by this author thus far, but someone has recently recommended me this one book to me and I've given it a try. I was marvelled. I love how it's written and, from start to end, I found it truly mesmerising. I was surprised, you see, because I did not see it coming. I just expected something average, and it was not. Truthfully, I'd say that there's something about this book -it's well written, it has a sort of hidden profundity, talks of life in such a manner than makes at least some people feel how important and useless they are, at quite the same time. It's simply a story. And yet, it really got to me. It made my chest ache for a while after I read the last few sentences. And, well, that makes me want to recommend it to others and talk about it.

So, have you read it? Did you like it? A friend of mine read it and she found it rather boring, which of course disappointed me. Am I seeing things? I don't know, and I don't care. It was a wonderful book and story-telling, and I enjoyed it at an authentic degree. :D