Old thread about the Ents having something to do with the SuperString Theory in LotR

Discussion in 'Rumour Mill' started by Druid of Lûhn, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Last year I saw a thread that spoke about the Ents and something to do with the SuperString Theory. It didn't really interest me at the time, but now that I'm thinking of doing some research related to the Theory, it could be interesting.
    I don't know if anybody who was in that thread would be interested in opening it up again?

2. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Re: Old thread about the Ents having something to do with the SuperString Theory in L

What was that SuperString theory about?

3. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Re: Old thread about the Ents having something to do with the SuperString Theory in L

I'm not too sure. I was going to start by reading the thread, then look elsewhere, but now that the thread is dead, I'll start by looking elsewhere, then post about it here.

4. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0

The Superstring theory is a part of the many String theories, and this one involves both matter, and it's twin particle of energy. A theory involving these two, linked together is called Supersymmetry, so the Superstring theory is just short for "The Supersymmetric String Theory".

String theories involve small chains of particles, some made of matter, some not. These chains are called strings, and are somehow linked to gravity and "gravitons" (can't exactly remember how though). These strings' average size is about 1 times 10 to the power of -33 (mm I believe) or 1 plancklength.
    It is part of "Theoretical Physics" - invented by Newton.

The old thread mentioned the Ents talking about this in LotR, though it hadn't been "discovered" at it's point of writing.

5. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Sorry, I knew about the string theory (well, I'd heard about it, I don't REALLY understand it), but I just don't see how it could be related to Ents.

6. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0

Sounds pretty unlikely.

A search on google for "Ents tolkien string theory" yields this

This thread ranks #5 : /

7. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3

I <3 physics .

But superstring theory is pretty impresive, but it cannot be proven, so it is only a philosophy. But there is movie called "elegant universe" that explain string theory...

8. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah, but what does it have to do with Ents? That's what I don't understand.

9. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I saw the resemblance with the Sil, but the Ents? I'll have to re-read the passage to try to understand.
    Thanks though for actually taking time on this thread.