Old noob.

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Xvaer, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Xvaer

Xvaer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Greetings!

The task i'm going to ask you for has humongous proportions. Be patient.

On my teen days, when everybody reads the classics like Tolkien or Lewis, i was reading X-Men comicbooks. At college i was bewitched by asian comic, manga and manhwa. Now days mostly american and belgian/french comics. But let's face it there is no media as heartwarming as the reading of a book.

Not that I have not read anything in all this time, has been some novels, mostly space opera and military science fiction. Ender's Game and Old Man's War my favorites. And some fantasy ones like Rothfuss an Sapkowski works. But the bigger list is the list of failed attemps. Tolkien, Dragonlance, etc.

The thing is... I LOVE FANTASY. I like D&D, Warhammer, LOTOR movies...

I have got short attention span. Comicbooks are easy to digest, videogames the same. The lack of narrative weight, make them more accessible. But when it comes with literature you need to be focused and openminded. That's the reason why is the richest media of all.

Fantasy novels are harder to read, in my case, reading habit does not exist. With other themes, this isn't a problem but when it comes to Fantasy i think i need some preparation. Here is when i ask for your advice. The goal... fluently reading LOTR in about a year. I need a path of fantasy books in order to train myself and make a reading habit.

Thx.

2. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    sup bro

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Best thing I found to help me read was enjoying what I'm reading - that generally wins :)
    Lord of the Rings can be a challenge to get into as the beginning is fairly slow paced, the language itself is not that difficult, but it can be somewhat wordy and Tolkien is a great describer of details which adds more bulk.

A few ideas;

1) Read more just in general. I'd suggest short stories to start with just to get into the reading habbit; you can read several in a row so that you get an idea of bulk reading and the shorter, faster paced nature will keep your interest more so. You can try reading things like the The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction which has a hard copy or an ebook version sold on Amazon kindle. It present as a collection of short fantasy and science fiction stories every 2 months and has been going for many years (many top authors have cut their teeth or later contributed to it).

2) Read The Hobbit. The Hobbit is much more easily accessible as a book; indeed whilst Lord of the Rings was building a mythology the Hobbit was Tolkien where he actually sits down and writes a proper adventure story. The length is shorter and the story itself builds the foundation and introduction for the Lord of the Rings. If anywhere is a natural place to start it is here.

3) Read read read read read - can't say more than that but honestly read anything. The act of reading alone (and not just fantasy/scifi) will build your experience and confidence up with reading bigger books.

4) Don't rush. Reading for entertainment should never ever be rushed. Relax, calm yourself, clear a good few hours of the day from everything so that you've controlled time to read, a bit of background music of your choice also can help. Myself I find I can hardly read much of a long book if I'm in an environment where I'm not in control over the time (the time slots themselves can be shorter, but if I don't know "when" my time is up or if I'm getting pestered randomly it breaks the immersion into the book).

5) You might like Discworld books - they are fast paced, quick to read and have a flowing writing style that naturally keeps you going. Not too long and chock full of memorable characters and good humour.

4. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    agreed, discworld is goooooooooood.

salvatore and gemmel with their high action are good mood/habbit setters too

5. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I'd also suggest you might try "The Alloy of Law" by Brandon Sanderson. It isn't a long novel but it grabs you right away, is full of action and humour and moves along at a fast pace. I picked this book up over breakfast one morning thinking to read a chapter or two. It sucked me in immediately and I read it straight through in about 5 hours...killed a big chunk of my day but it was worth it. Just when the characters are settling down to something mundane (like tea for example), the book explodes into action....attempted murder, fireballs, buildings falling down etc..... nothing boring about this one and it's an easy read. :p

6. Xvaer

Xvaer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WOW! Lots of replies. Thx.

In order to get a habit, i must schedule a "reading time" on the day. Perhaps join a book club... Meanwhile ,i will stick to those recommended book of yours.

7. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Howdy OG, I'd contest you about video games not having as much narrative weight. There are plenty of games with heavy material, I think they tend to get watered down by gameplay though or end up being miss-able. But stuff like the very recent Bioshock: Infinite seems to be trying to change that mentality of the industry which is interesting.

8. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    If you like fantasy and want to join a book club you could try the fantasy book club at Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/10915
    They hold nominations for what they want to read each month and then everybody votes. Membership at Goodreads is free and there are lots of forums there to discuss what you are reading.