Old Empire vs New Empire:USA,Iran and the Middle-East

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

One of the things I've learned so far in life is that the fear mongers almost always get it wrong.
    It usually turns out that what bites us in the ass is something very unexpected. We have plenty of oil for the time being, and when it runs low we'll use technology to replace it... we're already using technology to replace it. Within fifty or so years automobiles will not be burning petrol. What is more important where oil is concerned is the thousands upon thousands of products that depend on petroleum... here's a partial list; http://www.ranken-energy.com/Products from Petroleum.htm

We can replace oil as fuel, but it's an altogether different story when it comes to manufacturing.

The British Empire fell and it wasn't the end of the world for the UK. America will make do.

2. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16674660

Looks to me like the West is really intent on starting a war in Iran. Makes me sad. IF it does happen, there'll probably be millions of casualties. But at least there's hope for the iranians, unlike the iraqi. Especially if Russia decides to help.

3. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    The Iranians seem to be a far more potential enemy than the Iraqis ever were.Come to think that there are millions of soldiers to volunteer and are equipped with a large variety of weapons,tanks,jet fighters etc. mostly from USA,Great Britain,North Korea,China,Russia...Persians are a significant power in the middle-east.

However I admire the army of Saudi Arabia.These people know how to spend money in weapons....they've got,AT LEAST from a materials point of view,one of the most excellent and strong armies.Now the question is....how many of their soldiers and commanders are able like their Western counterparts.