Official "Waiting for ADWD" Thread

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Liadan, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
  2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I'm deeliberately not reading it. The book will come out when it comes out and I'll read the scene when the paperback arrives.

3. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Aww, but c'mon. Now we can get even more hyped for it and then alternate between "SO PSYCHED FOR ADWD" and then "WHERE'S ADWD T_T"!

4. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Any day now :saurumon:

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    you mean hardback of course - you're not going to wait for it to get to paperback stage are you!?!?!

6. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've been waiting for too long fo ADWD. i read something somewhere that martin wrote saying he has a problem starting books and not finishing them. i hope this is not the case.

7. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Dance has gone through some big changes and I think martin has had to take a small reality check on things and downsize some of his original ideas. I think its easy to let a story like ASOIAF get out of control because its unlike quite a lot of other fantasy.

Much of mainstream fantasy is about characters and normally revolves around key events in their characters lives - thus a beginning, middle and end are somewhat outlined from the start. But ASOIAF differs in that whilst it is indeed concerend with characters its moreso a story about the worldset from different character viewpoints. The problem with this is that worlds don't tend to have easy starts and finishes - espeacilly when you have so many multiple viewpoints. Characters might come and go but the world remains.

8. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I've sort of alternated between trying not to read the ADWD chapters and losing my willpower and devouring them. I think I've read one Dany, one Tyrion and one Theon chapter so far - not all the ones that have been released as far as I know, but I want to avoid them as much as I can. They've certainly been intriguing, and quite dark too.

Anyway.... CAN"T WAIT FOR ADWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <-- Is that the kind of reaction you're looking for? ;)

9. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I'm waiting for the paperback. If ADWD had come out three years ago I'd've bought the hardcover, but after all this time I'm no longer hyped enough to bother. I'd rather buy Kay's latest which is out in hardcover now. I might get the trade paperback in a year, but likely not.

10. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Whatever happened to "It'll be out within a year"? 5 years now, or is it 6 since affc came out?

11. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I am the same, I hate the thought of getting back into it again by reading one of these chapters and then being left hanging with nothing to follow it up!! But then again I have been hanging for years now anyway!!

Who can remember!! Even Robert Jordan is more proficient from the grave :p
    I have given up on GRRM and just read Authors who finish things...for the moment!! I am sure once the mini series and a new book comes out (probably at the same time to boost sales and ratings) I will fall back into the clutches of Westeros.

12. Lord Armagoth

Lord Armagoth New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i cant wait for ADWD either, i truly love the series. i'm actually thinking of re-reading all the books.I read them all in 2006 and i've read a lot of books since then.I want the story to be fresh in my head.But for sure it is a large project.Their is alot of areas to cover,Ijust hope he finishes it within the next couple of years.

13. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I've reread the series twice since the AFFC came out in '05 - likely bought mine in '06 - and honestly I don't want to go back to that world until there's something new to read. And I'm fed up with the long waits between books, fed up enough that I'm just not willing to buy in hardcover.

I can be obnoxious when I feel like it.

14. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Yet another delay on ADwD advised by Amazon...

"Unfortunately, the release date for the item(s) listed below was changed by the supplier, and we need to provide you with a new estimated delivery date based on the new release date:

George R.R. Martin (Author) "A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice & Fire)"
    Estimated arrival date: October 05 2011 - October 07 2011"

At this rate I'll have lost my hair, teeth & gone senile before the damn book comes out :(

Oh well plenty of other books out there :)

15. eravelleria

eravelleria New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I WANT ADWD NOW!!!

I hope Martin hasn't given up his writing... 5 years passed since the summer of 2005 (when he said he'd hoped to publish it) an still nothing...
    Come on! It's a pity not to finish such a great story!!

16. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone else find it amusing that there is an entire webpage committed to the release of one book?

Hello again! It's been awhile since I've dropped by the TFF forums, but I think of ya'll frequently and even moreso A Dance With Dragons. I stopped just short at the point of insanity though, lucky for me. My obsession has waned, but like any addict - I know it's just waiting for an excuse (ie. release date) to pounce back in and dominate my reading material for the next several years.

Not really mad at Martin anymore either. It will release when he's good and ready, and nothing I do is going to change that (although I never did try the Anthrax in the mail threat...).

I miss you guys, and I feel your pain! Just think of how much fun we're going to have when it does release someday!

17. Western Paladin

Western Paladin Lawful Awesome Overgod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agree! ASOIAF has all chances to become my favorite fantasy, even more favorite than The Wheel of Time, but George Martin is really vexing me. I almost wish I have never started reading ASOIAF. I don't believe he will ever finish them.

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    From the Winter is Coming site, after site member "Fire and Blood" went to the Vroman Bookstore signing on January 9th:
    The end of the wait may be in sight.

Oh, wait. He has two other books to write. Afk for 10 years while he finishes them.

19. Western Paladin

Western Paladin Lawful Awesome Overgod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would not bet anything that has something to do with "time" and "GRRM". I liked that with the GRRM-sized weeks. They actually equate to a year.
    Anyways let's "keep optimism" and hope that the end of the wait is really near.

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I've come across an interesting post to supplement the previously linked "entitlement post" by Neil Gaiman. The author of the first post followed it up with another post explaining the possible issues that's making ADWD so difficult to write.

Regardless of the fact that I've been impatiently waiting (and complain about the five-year-and-counting-wait to various friends), I've been with Neil Gaiman on this one. "Writers and artists are people, not machines." I've personally experienced this particular dilemma, despite many being convinced that I'm "really good" at getting stuff written. (I'm a creative writing major. I'm about to drop an advanced workshop class this semester and probably switch concentrations, not because I've grown any less passionate about nonfiction, but simply because I've burned out with writing long, emotionally-charged essays in my previous workshops. It happens. When I told my academic adviser that "I'm burned out," she just nodded and said, "All right, let's see if you can still graduate in time.")

However, whilst I was dabbling my feet in the murky ponds of Amazon, I came across three particularly vehement (and vicious) accusations that were followed with an equally vehement (and vicious) "defense" of GRRM. (You'll have to click Linda Antonsson's [Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway.] to see what she replied with.) And... quite frankly, I'm honestly bothered by all of this. Linda Antonsson, if you don't know, is one of the two webmasters of the popular fansite Westeros. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt and assuming that she's a friend of his, but I really feel that the e-attitudes of fans everywhere, ranging from "Let's just hope he doesn't pull a Robert Jordan and die on us" (as if his only purpose in life is to finish those books before he dies), to "I'm never going to buy his books again," to "How dare you question GRRM?" to everything else I'm too lazy to type out, is getting seriously out of hand.

While I certainly don't agree with the heavy-handed rhetoric that "Paul Slaughter" from Amazon uses, or anything that he says, I can also see how he reached the conclusions that he has, and also agree with the basic idea that it would be nice (NOT expected, NOT entitled to, NOT "within our rights") if GRRM would update us with a little more progress--even if it's to just say something like "I really hate writing this book." I do, however, feel that The Angry Dude has absolutely NO IDEA what it takes to write. It isn't as though GRRM has an instruction manual telling him how to assemble all the pieces together to ship off the finished product to his publisher.

On the other hand... The Angry Lady doesn't really have much going for her, either. While I completely agree with Neil Gaiman's logical, well-reasoned response that GRRM has his own life and should be allowed to live it just the way he likes it (to which I will also add that disheartened fans can ALSO live life just the way they like it, including that they no longer need to purchase his books), I was very unhappy with Linda's posts, which were:

I mean... yeah, the Angry Dude casts GRRM in an incredibly biased, and uninformed (after all, we're not privy to GRRM's life), light, but... really? Was all of that necessary? (Her second post was even more vicious, if you can believe it.)

Also: Yes. I'm bored. And still waiting for ADWD. Since I check the site probably more regularly than most people, I'll post the news here if someone doesn't beat me to it. Here's hoping that the speculation surrounding his "big announcement" really is the completion of ADWD...