Of Aragorn's Kingship

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Nathan, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Nathan

Nathan Wielder of the Flame

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Does everyone else agree with PJ and the rest of the LotR film crew in that Aragorn didn't really want the kingship of Gongor? I mean, even in the novel of The Fellowship, a reader could ask him/herself why Aragorn who's made it such a point to wave around a broken sword and finally go to Minas Tirith would actually do so in the first place. Thoughts, anyone?

2. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think Aragorn in the book was fairly set on becoming King in order to impress Elrond and win Arwen's mind. In the movie they don't really touch apon that and give Arwen a bigger role but making her push him through his doubts.

3. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I agree with strider. In the Novel I got no sense of Aragorn doubting his intent to claim the kingship of Gondor. I think he just wanted to get the timing right.

4. Nathan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that, too. The timing thing, I mean. I was just wondering if anyone else agreed with PJ and the movies. Just kind of drives me nuts every time I watch some scenes in the movies.

5. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Yesh, it bugs me too when they have scenes when Aragorn doubts whether he wants to be king or not. I got no sense that he was in doubt at all about it in the book.

6. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I kind of like his doubting though. I think it makes him a much deeper character. That there is more to him than just a man becoming king. He is like every other person and has doubts about the future of his life.

7. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't think he was evr that dead-set 'bout becoming king n'all.. He really feared what he may become when power has sullened his conscience.. and his inner weakness has long befallen him.
    The movie trilogy has enhanced his character regardless.. ;)

8. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    That is a good point. He was more concerned about his weaknesses than the Kingship. The movies reflect upon Isildur as being weak (more so than the book). And Aragorn's doubt comes from this weakness.

9. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I pretty much agree with Strider and Turin. PJ probably made this change because as it relates more to the movie aspect. Non-LotR readers will find it extremely more interesting if they see the conflict associated in his dilema.

10. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Personally I agree with what he did. I think that it made the movie better. Aragorn may have seemed a bit shallow without that extra drama.

11. Nathan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good point. The whole conflict about whether he should accept Arwen's love and return his own to her may have been enough conflict for him, but his doubts about becoming king humanizes him, which may be needed for non-LotR fans who aren't used to Tolkien's larger-than-life characters. And of the other characters of the Fellowship, it does make sense for Aragorn to have one of the biggest conflicts shown.

12. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    True, he is after all, probably the most critical char. Aside from Frodo and possibly Gandalf

13. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Aragorn would have seem very self-centered to nonbook readers if they had stuck to the book Aragorn since they wouldn't really get why he would want the kingship so badly.

14. Nathan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure about that? In the Fellowship, and maybe not quite so much so in TTT, they place a lot of emphasis about how the task of facing Sauron requires the Free People to unite. None can stand against him alone, neither man nor people. That is the purpose of inviting all Free People to the Council of Elrond (at least in the movie). In TTT, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli place importance of uniting against Saruman's forces, and Treebeard gathers the Ents to march against Isengard. We can see more now that Frodo needs Sam in able to carry out the Quest. I think audiences would understand why Aragorn's kingship means so much for the survival of Middle Earth. Besides, if less dialogue had been used for the times he does doubt whether or not he wants his claim, other dialogue would have undoubtedly been in those places explaining why it's important.

15. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The uniting of the free peoples has always seemed a bit contradictory to me. Basically the only ones fighting were the Men. I guess the ents were also. (This is in the book of course).

They prolly put the elves at Helm's Deep in the movie to bring the uniting theme together.

16. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    I suppose the elves not being there in the book reflected that the elves were leaving Middle Earth and were no longer apart of Middle Earth's affairs.

17. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah I believe they would think that. Because in the book he kept mentioning it every 5 minutes that he was going to be king. Yes he has to become king to reunit mankind but he that doesn't require mentioning it over and over.

18. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    True, however, Elves are supposed to be noble and brave and that sort of thing. Seems a bit like running away to me.

19. Radagast

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Yup.

I wonder whats worse: The elves running away from the problem, or the dwarves hiding from the problem?

20. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Very good point. I often wondered what their problem was as well.