Objectives in the series?

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Wolfgang, May 6, 2011.

1. Wolfgang

Wolfgang New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a song of ice and fire?

Hello everyone!

I'm just wondering, what is the point of the story? I am very new to fantasy. I have only read: the wheel of time, LOTR, ender's saga, and everything by Brandon Sanderson, and Terry Goodkind.

Everyone I know that has read Game of Thrones loved it. It seems to get very high reviews by a lot of people. Most people I have ran across enjoy it more than the wheel of time!

So I'm just wondering, is there ever a main evil in this book? Is there ever a main plot or main characters (there seems to be a LOT of characters no really MAIN characters though?).The prologue blew me away! I loved it! Do we ever find out anything else about that? I got about half way through the book and stopped a few months ago. I'm thinking about trying it again but I wanted to ask some experts first because I'm not sure this is the series for me?

Is this book more like a story? with a purpose, a quest? Even maybe just people trying to survive an Armageddon? Or is it more like a soap opera/reality show? People getting together hating each other, killing each other?

Thanks for the help :)

2. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Hey there :)

Well the main evil might be considered the white walkers that were mentioned in the beginning, plus the winter that comes with them.
    The main plot... There are many plots in the books, but I think what it comes down to is:
    a) Who will be King of Westeros in the end, and
    b) what happens when winter does come?

So I propose you keep on reading and don't worry about all those awesome characters, Martin 'reduces' them along the way ;) You should keep an eye on the Starks, because mainly this seems to be their story.
    The purpose this book has is easy: Entertaining the readers and if you allow me to say so: It does a great job!
    The quest in the story is different for every character.
    It could be compared to a soap opera or a reality show, but really, it gets way too complex for that later on.

It really is an awesome story, with deeper characters than LOTR has and with more complex politics. It's not always easy to keep everything and every character in mind (especially when you wait for years and years for the story to continue), but it definitely is worth reading.

So read it =)