Obesity

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by §oul Bane, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    I'll have to look into getting some of those soups you linked to. It still has a redic level of sodium in them, so a good deal of water is needed to go along with it, but if it is actually filling I'll have to take a look. I'm rarely satisfied with a can of soup. Frozen dinners are just as bad, I need 3 or 4 of them to actually be full and the ones I've seen don't really qualify as healthy and are generally more expensive after a full meal than making something from scratch and having leftovers. Looking at it, 5g of protein isn't even close to making a good meal by itself for someone my size (would need to eat 6 cans to get enough protein for a single meal, assuming a 3 meal a day plan) and its hardly a replacement for fresh fruits and vegetables that one would get in a well designed balanced diet. Still it could be good in a pinch.

2. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure about this, I think people who are over weight and complain about it, but then spend all day sitting on their arse and eating junk food deserve no sympathy. If they are depressed, this is a different matter; depression and obesity often come hand in hand, and so fight the depression and the fight against obesity will follow. I do believe that people should keep active, mainly for health reasons, I don't think people should be beef cakes and stick thin. I think people should be healthy, but not miserable. Its finding the perfect balance. What's the point of being healthy if you don't enjoy life and what's the point in enjoying life if what you are doing to yourself will kill you.

I personally go to the gym and I swim, I like it so I do it. Food wise I try to eat a wide range of food, mainly so I don't get bored. I won't limit myself to just eating veg but I also won't live off junk food and to be honest a lot of junk food repulses me. I have seen some of the food that is served in american restaurants and take-away's and it makes me want to throw up. However it is the same here in England too. And everywhere.

I personally worry about my friends who are overweight, I worry for the pressure the fat is putting on their heart and what sort of emotions they are feeling. I think everyone deserves to be happy and that everyone deserves to be healthy. I actively support people losing weight, not for aesthetic reasons, but for health reasons.

3. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    What always gets me is the people who end up being morbidly obese. I've seen heaps of cases of this on TV shows. People get to the stage where they literally can't leave their seat or bed, can't do anything for themselves. In these cases they have people bringing them food, usually lots of it and usually crap. Seriously, their food intake is in someone elses hands and they STILL give them crap? If I had to take food to an obese person I'd only be taking salads, no matter how much they complained. What are they going to do get up and run after me?

4. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    There was a man here in Britain who needed to be hospitalised and he was so fat that in order to get him out of the house they had to take out the wall to his living room and then a fork lift truck had to lift him out. He couldn't even fit in the ambulance. This is very sad indeed.

5. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah and just think, someone was feeding that man. Someone was obviously taking him food every day. It's always the case. How can other people keep taking bad food to someone in the state of morbid obesity?

6. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I think to avoid the abuse, I mean if you were that persons parent and had to look after them all day, you would feel pressurised into doing anything to make them happy. I can imagine people like that are very demanding and to avoid hassle its easier to give them what they want.

7. JNK

JNK King of tards

Ratings:
    +138 / 4 / -2
    Re: is Fat-ism the new racism?

Actually everybody like to say, it's mostly US problem... but if you look at WHO statistics, you can see that this problem is not only in US :) https://apps.who.int/infobase/?id=1

You can look eithe men age 15+ or women age 15+ and then if you press "percentage" in the table it will rank by percentage.

8. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Crouton, have you been watching that show about ambulance officers having to assist the gigantically obese? These are people who haven't left their homes in years because they can't walk more than a few steps (if that, many are wheelchair bound). Disgraceful. It should not up take the time and cumulative knowledge of 6 highly trained medical life saving personalel to move one gigantic body into a super reinforced ambulance. That's 3 ambulance crews taken up moving one big fat ass. Whose life is not being saved while those ambos are attending to something a forklift is better designed to cope with?

9. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Re: is Fat-ism the new racism?

Wow...... just, wow! Really scary!

10. Dreamscaper

Dreamscaper Royal Hamster Wrangler

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -0
    An interested tidbit about the cost of this as I have found out tonight while out shopping for myself for the first time in years (yay for independence!)

I spent about $19 on salad materials and made it myself and worked it out and it comes to barely over a dollar per plate ($1.26 for 15 large plates). These are not little salads either, it covers a dinner plate completely and is piled four inches or so high.

The trick is going to be able to eat all of it before it goes bad, my roommates don't eat salad and neither does my family, but if you had a family that was malnourished you could get to work on that and get some nutrition in there. If it lasts however, it's enough for 3 servings of veggies a day for 2 weeks.

Ingredients:
    3 Romaine Lettuce Hearts
    3 Iceberg Lettuce Heads
    6 Carrots
    3 Tomatoes
    3 Onions
    Box of mushrooms
    3 Green Peppers
    Bag of Raw Spinach

Figuring out what my weekly food costs are was helpful for me in my ideas towards the debate. I can eat healthy with enough protein, fiber fruits, and veggies for about $40 less a month that what I qualify for with the food stamp program. Granted, I don't have any kids to support, but still.

11. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, if you had kids, you could eat them too which would save you money on a few meals at least :D

12. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Are you talking about Big Body Squad? Because I love that show.

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    I believe that's the one. Or as my missus somewhat non-PC calls it - "Super Fatasses."