Obesity

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by §oul Bane, Mar 25, 2006.

1. §oul Bane

§oul Bane Active Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I know this is quite a sensitive subject for some people, but I think it is something that should be discussed. Right now in America, there has been many debates about America being overweight, and that today's kids have no reason to go outside and play, because they have everything in their room. Therefore resulting in overweightness in kids. There have been many organizations that have started programs to try to get people to eat healthier and get out more to help America to become 'thinner' as a society. Being obese brings many health risks, including Diabetes, higher risks of Heart disease, higher risks of a Heart attack, and many others.
    What do you think about our 'overweight society'. Major problem? Do people have the right to tell you what to do and what to eat?

Just wondering what you guys think.

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It's definitely a problem.

Half my family on my mum's side has type 2 diabetes, along with a slew of other problems because of their eating habits. Most of them are overweight. I've always found it ironic that what's glorified in the movies and in society are really strong, thin, muscular bodies, and yet...look at real Americans. I think I heard something like 60% of women are overweight now.

It's wierd to me that we hear all this stuff about cooking lightly and stuff now. But I was watching a cooking show from the 60's, the first one on the air I believe. The woman was frying EVERYTHING in grease. Like...I was amazed. And my mom goes "Wow...look how thin she is..." and it made me wonder, is it the fact that America is all about the oversized portions? All about eating out?

My family, for as long as I can remember, has thought low fat. We always bought baked chips, we hardly go out to eat because my mom always cooks. We don't fry things, we use vegetable oil and margarine instead of butter. Skim milk instead of whole, turkey bacon. I always assumed that everyone did that for a long time...but that's definitely not the case. Not everyone buys the lowest fat stuff. The funny thing is now, I can barely stomach fatty things. I can handle a hamburger every once in awhile, but I can almost never finish a full meal. McDonalds, every single time I get it, makes me feel horrible. It's just a matter of building good habits. When I have a family of my own, I'm going to try and cook as often as possible, and as healthy as possible. Teach my kids good habits...because the way my parents raised me.

As for exercise, I admit even I am a bit lax in that. When I do (I take karate now) I feel so great, and I like the way I look too. But people would rather play mortal combat now instead of doing real karate :p

Frankly, I think as uninterested in going outside and playing as some kids are now, I see more problem in the eating habits. If you change your eating habits, you have more energy and feel like going and doing something instead of just sitting. Fatty foods, and fast food especially, make me feel sluggish...and I really don't want to go anywhere. Seems that that contributes to America's couch potato problem.

I also think everyone needs to watch Super Size Me. They will never look at fast food again the same way. Does horrid things to your body.

3. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm... Obesity...

I think there's something wrong with the term. It's not like the world is devided into "fat" people and "skinny" ones. Not that skinny is any healthier then being fat by the way... in fact, being too thin bears higher risks then being fat but that's not the point.

Obesity points out a person is too heavy - or more specifically has a too high fat percentage. And apart from that, there's nothing these people have in common. Obesity comes in so many forms that there's simply no pointing at one cause. Generally, you can say that the intake of calories is higher then the consumption by the body, but there's a thousand reasons why that can be. Scientists are only starting to understand how eating patterns work - for instance, some people have no feedback on the fact that they're "full"... they simply keep eating - the first bite tastes as good as the last (which isn't how it's supposed to work). Other people start an eating habit due to psycho-somatic reasons. Yet other have an altered metabolism (you hear that one often, altough it's not as frequent as one might believe...). And there are many more reasons and varieties for people to be obese...

And to make matters worse, if there's something that's totally wrong for the body, it's dieting. Doesn't matter in what form it comes, the body hates it and reacts in storing energy even more effectively then before (leading to even more overweight).

However, I do admit that an unhealthy life pattern can also lead to obesity. But this is (unlike medical forms) like smoking. It's part of the western lifestyle. It's actually quite addictive and even harder to get rid off. Are they to blame? I think everyone needs to make that out for themselves as there's not really anything anyone else can do about it...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dwimmerlaik

Dwimmerlaik Captain of Despair

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    all i have to say, you bring it on your self most of the time.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I have always had a problem with the whole "overwieght" thing.
    Especially that Height/Weight ratio chart stating that if you are so tall you should weigh so much.
    That thing is wrong, Id say aroung 80% of the time.
    First of all, I will state that I am overweight ( too much fat ) but not obese.
    But when i was in Highschool ( oh so long ago ) I still wieghed 20-30lbs over what that chart said I should weigh. The thing is that I had way more muscle than fat, thanks to football and powerlifting.
    When determining if a person should lose fat or diet one needs to learn what body type they actually have. Some people are born with higher muscle mass than others.

Back to topic. Yes Americans are fatter than other countries, and yes something needs to be done. But it should be up to the individual not the government. And for children, parents need to limit their inside time.

But that also brings up another thought. With all this "The sun will kill you" crap, we seem to be scaring ourselves into staying indoors for fear of skin cancer......( which makes me remember that i need to get some spots checked out.....having a sunburn everyday for 4months left some odd freckles....)

6. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    First: I don't live in America, but I also know this problem. Not only Americans have this, almost every industrial country says that the society becomes fatter and fatter.
    Well, that's not only a problem of food, but also a problem of our daily movement.
    America is a very big country with many people, who live far away from each other (in the countryside for example, right?) Well, to cover this distance, you need a car. And if you drive a car, you don't move. So you have no movement, so your body can't burn the calories you've eaten. So the food transforms into fat .
    Another point is, that in America, you have in almost every town a fast food restaurant. The problem with the fast food is, that you are still hungry after one portion. Fast food has more fat than the things that make you full. So you have to eat for example two portions to be full.
    And if you have to go somewhere after eating, you use the car. So almost all the things you've eaten transforms into real fat. And it's not too easy to burn this fat again.
    It is the cooperation between to much and the wrong to eat and too little movement that makes our society fatter and fatter.

And one thing to the diets:
    Diets are the worst you can do. Mostly, you weight more after a diat than before. And the more diets you've done, the better your body knows what will come:
    He knows that he will be hungry, so he saves the fat very good, as if he would prepare for a long hunger-period. With every diet it will get harder to get thinner.

Think about what you eat, how much you eat and when you eat and do much sports, if you want to get thinner. That's the recipe for a lifelong succes.

7. Dwimmerlaik

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    i hate those body mass charts, cause im "as they say over weight on those charts", that doesnt mean anything, its your choice to be "fat or skinny".

and i can say this, america is a lazier country, i was skinnier when i lived in Ireland, when i moved back here i started to gain the weight i had lost for Gaelic back.

8. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Being overweight is of course a problem, no matter the cause, and I think anyone that decides to promote a healthier way of life is entitled to do so. As Turambar pointed out though, "obesity" comes in many forms, and being fat is not always because you've eaten too many burgers etc. I don’t know enough about people who are medically overweight to comment on it, so I won’t go in to that side of it.

Before I moved to America, I was expecting to see a lot of fat people. Very stereotypical of me, I know, but stereotypes are based off of some truth. Needless to say, the year or so I spent in High School here was very surprising to me. There were of course, overweight kids and teachers, but not nearly as many as some non-Americans might believe. In fact, a vast majority of the students were active in a number of sports, and appear a lot fitter (and perhaps healthier) than a lot of people their age, around the world.

The overweight "problem" seems to be much more prominent in adults. They of course can use the excuse that they've got lives to lead, jobs to go to etc, so they don't have time to exercise, or pay attention to what they're eating. All valid enough reasons I suppose, but a 20-minute run on a treadmill once you get home from work 3-4 times a week isn't exactly asking a lot, or choosing the salad instead of a second chicken sandwich. But again, that’s just for the ones who can help being overweight, and don’t like to be. Those who can’t are the people with the real excuse.

Fast Food is obviously a real problem too. It tastes nice, it’s cheap, and it’s convenient. Too bad it’s “bad” for you. Of course, anything in large doses is not good for you, but it’s just that this stuff is particularly fat inducing. And it’s everywhere. It’s difficult to escape something that is so widely marketed, and so widely wanted. In many cases, people choose what is easy, instead of what is right, and fast food is a classic example. The convenience of it is as bad as the eating though, I think. It’s right there for you to take. Kids are complaining in the back of the car that they’re hungry. You see a Burger King and think, well, now I don’t have to cook. You’re killing two birds with one stone. It’s quite vicious when you think about how tempting, and how much easier it can make life at that moment.

I am currently 6ft 1”, have a stocky build, and weigh just under 220lbs. Would a body mass chart say I was overweight? Perhaps, but that is a matter of perspective. I work out 5 times a week, as well as doing 30-40 minutes a day with beaded rope, so I’d like to say that most of that is muscle. If I was 5ft 1” and weighed the same, chances are I’d be severely overweight. So overweight is weighing too much, but it depends on other things, such as height, and how that mass is proportioned around your body, as well as whether that mass is muscle of fat. If you’re particularly muscled for your age, the body mass chart will still tell you you’re overweight I imagine, because muscle weighs more than fat.

To round off, I don’t think people, or the government, should be able to tell you what to do when it comes to your weight. If you’re overweight and it’s your own fault, then it’s your problem to deal with. If that upsets you, then you have or have had the opportunity to rectify the problem. However, there’s certainly nothing wrong with promoting and encouraging a healthier way of life. School is a good tool for this. They offer a host of extra curricular activities, as well as sports clubs and other groups that do active things. Participating in some form of activity from an early stage is bound to increase the likelihood that you’ll do so once you leave school. Promoting healthy eating is more difficult I think, especially when you consider the short paragraph I wrote about fast food, but it’s something schools and even the workplace need to encourage.

9. Vaniel

Vaniel "That Man"

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Cut on the fast-food and you won't be "obese", when you are indeed overweight...

Play DDR! Having fun and losing weight at the same time couldn't be better!

10. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Not a lazier country. No offense to anyone, you choose to be what you are. I'm a tad chubby, not too bad, but a little. I can be chubby if I please. Maybe the reason people are overweight here more than other countries is because of the wealth, not because of a "lazy factor."

11. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Europe is a wealthier continent than North America...so I think the number of overweight people has less to do with the wealth of the country and its people, and more to do with the ease of access to foods and such, which are unhealthy.

12. Harbringer

Harbringer New Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    europe as a whole.. but we are talking about countries here..

and i disagree with you on the "easier access of food"

in france, you can go to a store and buy food just like you can do here

i think it might have to do with, past times and hobbies.. a lot of people like watching sports on tv.. so they usually just eat and watch tv, since its such a good combonation

13. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Harbringer. And I also want to clarify, as was stated before, we are talking countries.

14. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    I said ease of access to foods which are unhealthy, and that remains true. There are not nearly as many fast food establishments in Europe as there are in America, and especially not within such short distance of each other.

15. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    A city in America, and a city in Europe are pretty much the same, they have stores for food and all that. So I think that ease of access to food is still not that big of an issue. And what are you proposing? The government closes some fast food restaurants to limit the amount of food the masses consume?(this is a question for everyone, not just you Richard, just so you know I'm not directing this to offend you.)

16. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    No offense taken. And I'm not proposing anything. I was just pointing out that there are more fast food establishments here in America within an area, when compared to an area of the same size in any European country, and that may have something to do with the overweight problem this country has. Ease of access to fast food, not food you get at the supermarket.

And to clarify, I am aware we are talking about countries, but since America is about the size of, if not bigger, than all of Europe, I figured I'd point that fact out :)
    Anyway, I didn't mean to deviate from the topic at hand...

17. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I see, yes you are correct and America has a large population compared to European countries, so there is a higher opportunity for obesity.

18. Dwimmerlaik

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    yeah ill agree it is really the "will power to lose weight if you have it", and since you have all these weight lost shows here i guess that helps motavate people.

19. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I got no problem with people gettin fat if they want to, as long as

1: They earn it

2: They keep it under the point that completely hinders others' daily schedules (IE - trying to get around some big fat smelly dirtbag in a crowded hallway)

3: They don't make others pay for their disabilities.

4: They maybe make an effort to do better.

Well... I just got a problem with the attitude more than the fatness. I got fat friends and they're just like everyone else, but the mentality that comes from the fat people on foodstamps and such.... that infuriates me. Uknow... spend foodstamps we give them just so they can use their real money on cigarettes and booze. :rolleyes:

20. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    What really pisses me off is when they say it's a disease.