Obama - Health Reform & everything else

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Justice, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Several things I'd like to point out. Health insurance, for all intents and purposes, is not a free market system anymore. There are so many government regulations on the insurance industry that it CAN'T be called a free market system. And the forcing of millions of Americans to buy health insurance is just another step in socialized medicine.

Most businesses need SOME form of regulation, but the medical care system in the US is far from a failed system. 83% of Americans already have coverage, and the vast majority are pleased with their coverage. Anecdotal stories aside, we rarely have incidents of people having to wait 6 months to see a doctor for serious illnesses. My mother contracted Hodgkin's Lymphoma a bit ago and was on the operating table in less than 2 months, fully covered by my dad's insurance plan.

This is why health insurance is not free market. Say I have an insurance plan with a company, then I leave that company. CA state law forbids me from carrying over my insurance coverage to another company. Say Florida has a wonderful insurance company that asks only 1/3rd the premium a California company asks. Surely there should be no reason not to buy it right? Well, State and Federal law prohibits me. I have to buy in state.

It's the intrusion of the US government into health insurance that has killed competition and regulated the market into the state it's in now. I am not advocating a "hands off" approach, but certainly changes could have been made to the insurance agency without having to instill a massive government bureaucracy that will never be paid for.

And what do the insurance companies gain from the new government regulations? Well, they now get another 30 million members, the majority of which are young, healthy individuals who just didn't want to buy health care. A young person who is healthy, rarely sick or ill, usually doesn't want health insurance. Sure, it's good to have, but the US Government is not our nanny. Now they have 30 million more people paying into medical insurance who are likely not going to get anything back from it.

It's all just a shell game. I give it 5 years before the majority of US citizens realize we've been had.

2. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Hmm - well, I agree that the quality of the available medical care in the US is very much acceptable. Leading even, in some areas....

But I think this is all void when it stops being affordable. I haven't heared an American who was happy about the tax it puts on his household. Except, of course, for MDs, who complain about their legal insurance.

And, to be honest, I don't exactly know what sort of money we're talking about. But frow what I understand, it's substantially more then the €1500 ($1900) or so I pay anually...

3. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    See my problem with the debate is that no one is supporting evidence for their claims. And a lot of people end up giving off incorrect facts about things. So neither turamber nor justice has me convinced. If there is one thing I've learned from this debate is that a person's spoken word cannot be trusted unless they have good sources to back it up. No offense guys but that's the way it is.

Edit: I've found lately that factcheck.org seems to be a better source than fox news, msnbc, and cnn

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010