Novel Idea. Please leave a coment!!!

Discussion in 'Writing Workshop' started by E.H. Walker, Jan 20, 2007.

1. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey I am new here because I wanted to see what the fantasy buffs would say about a story that I have an Idea for.

The story will be about dragons. It will be nothing like Eragon except the fact that they both are about dragons and riders. The story will have a much different plot and there will be no other story out there like it. I was just wondering if there was anyone who would be interested in reading another dragon book.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    And what idea would that be...

3. HumanInfiltrator

HumanInfiltrator The Book club lady

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Leave a sample or give an outline. Many of us would happily reply.

4. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well the story would be about a young man who was orphaned as a child but never knew how his parents die. The only thing his adopted parents know is that they found him near their farm and took him in as his own. He finds a dragon and becomes the rider of that dragon. He knows that to be a rider you have to leave everything behind because being a rider is very dangerous. He leaves for the capital of the kingdom and eventually becomes a great rider and faces many hardships but in the end the riders prevail over the evil that is in the kingdom.

This is a very very rough summary. but to get everything in i would have to type all day. I had the idea for this story before i ever read eragon so it will not be like it. if you have any questions please ask.

5. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I would change some aspects, just too be on the save side of eragon. Make it a girl finding a griffin or something.

Not trying too be mean.

6. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    I agree, that looks a lot like Eragon, so try to be more original, it doesn't have to be a girl...doesnt matter much, but an orphan...a farm...a dragonrider...that's eragon!

7. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeh I see what yall are saying and i was afraid of that. The begining is alot like eragon but the rest of the story is nothing like it. for example; there are many more dragon riders. The main conflict is between Roisin (Aro's, the main character, nation which are the good guys) and the maenex (the bad guys, they are demonlike people)

Do i need to explain the history of the story For you to understand the difference??

I need all the criticism you have so be mean if it is neccessary. No pain no gain!

8. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    The best is too give us an example. Then it would be easier too judge.

9. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    An example??? What do you mean????

10. HumanInfiltrator

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Post the first couple of pages. There is a thread for it.

11. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Moved to the Writing Workshop. I think this thread migh do better here :)

12. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    the thing is, you hear about dragons...but create a certain type of dragon...create a race between them, cause I believe in goblet of fire (even in star wars), you have different species of dragons which makes it more unique, so do the same....don't make him a dragon rider. make him for example a krayt dragon rider. and don't give him the title of dragon rider, create something else a title a name! just a stupid example "the Otharo Knights which are familiar with the Otharo Dragon, a fiersome creature that is not that large as the mortigu Dragon but breathes fire hotter than any other kind of dragon"

13. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah I never thought about that. I think will do that. Do you have any ideas?

14. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Personally I think this won't get very far due to the reason it is alot like Eragon, though that book had horrible writing and was very cliche. Don't make this a cliche and make it CLEAR in the summary on the back cover or sleeve or wherever, and you can probably sell some. If you put anything similar to what you put above, I doubt anyone will buy it (or any publishers will publish it). Also, you can't have the beginning sounding like Eragon. I know it sucks, and no matter HOW much the rest of the book is different, the editors won't care. Unless you are an established author (which I don't think you are), the editors will read the first bit and see its just another Eragon copy and move on. That's just how the business works! Also, I personally wouldn't read a dragon book. Don't take that as if no one else will, however-- I'm just sick of the theme. Theres the DragonLady of Pern, the whole DragonLance books, etc. I think Eragon has really taken the genre back a step, due to its extreme cliche (as stated above) and horrible writing (in my opinion. But hey, the writer was 16 when he wrote it or something)
    Keep posting though, and I'll keep giving the best constructive critisizm I can.

15. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice.

16. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What if the Story was to start out with an intense action scene that left alot of questions?

17. Master Wrath

Master Wrath Writer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That's how I start out mine :p
    As long as its clearly not Eragon and written well, I think it will do fine.

18. E.H. Walker

E.H. Walker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am going to post the first few pages in a couple of days. Look back and see what you think if you don't mind. I thank you for all the advice you give.

19. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I totally support you in this E.H., but keep in mind that many of the aspects you wrote in the first post of this thread is a hardcore cliche, and Eragon is a cliche cause it's just another remake of the old story about a farm boy who will save the kingdom from the evil in it...

That kind of fantasy has been rewritten like a million times... and 1 more book like that won't be noticed at all...