'Not A Blog' Speculation

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Appaliq, May 11, 2007.

1. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    WARNING: SPOILER THREAD

This thread contains speculation about A Dance With Dragons, so at some point people are going to give away information from A Feast For Crows (Which in turn gives away the plot of AGoT, ACoK and ASoS).

I was reading Martin's Not A Blog and noticed this:
    "I had a number of good days writing on DANCE after my last post. It felt great to have a solid streak of work like that. It's been a while, with all the stuff that has gone down this last year. I got quite a bit done, including a marriage."

These are the POVs in ADWD that could either be married or witness a marriage:
    Jon Snow
    Tyrion Lannister
    Ser Davos Seaworth
    Daenerys Targaryen
    Bran Stark
    Arya Stark
    Asha Greyjoy
    Quentyn Martell

Who will be married in ADWD? The candidates are:

Daenerys Targaryen - Quentyn Martell OR Vicatarion Greyjoy OR Daario Naharis
    ** Jeyne Poole as Arya Stark - Ramsay Snow (Bolton)
    ** Alayne Stone - Harry the Heir

** - These marriages would have to be seen by another POV.

Any more guesses?

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  2. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    You must also take into account that GRRM wrote "marriage" and not "wedding". Marriage can also be defined as 'any close or intimate association or union'.

So, I may be totally off the map here. Perhaps it has something to do with Arya and the Faceless men.

3. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Interesting...like you say, it may not be a wedding but that's probably the most likely interpretation. Speculation time! :D

I doubt it's Sansa/Alayne as I can't see anyone there who's likely to witness her wedding. Davos is probably the nearest geographically, but it's still not likely, IMO. (BTW, just to point it out, Alayne's b*stard name is Stone, rather than Snow :).)

Dany...possible. Jeyne is probably less likely since I doubt Theon will be in a fit condition to attend a wedding, given what we know of his current straits. Still, it's not impossible.

I'd add Asha in as a possiblity, maybe to form an alliance? Arya (as a FM) and Random Person can't be ruled out either.

4. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Lya. I knew that, just got too excited writing.

I guess I didn't think of Asha. I can't possibly imagine who she could marry. My first thought is Euron Crowseye, but then she doesn't seem to like him and that is a tad incestuous (Not that Martin hasn't gone there before).

Arya? Now that would really shock me.

5. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I would say it is pretty likely that Dany will marry, one or more times in dance with dragons.
    First there is Victarion and Quentyn, but there is also another wedding candidate, with the clues hidden more carefully betwen the lines in aFfC.

In one of Qyburns rapports to the small council, that Cercei stupidly ignores, we hear that the Golden Company has broken their contract with Lys (a thing which they never do, their motto being, "our word is gold"), and are heading east (towards Meeren and Dany???).
    The golden company supposedly consist of exiled westerosi from the Blackfyre rebellion wanting to find and honourable way to return home to, and their leaders are the descendents of Bittersteel and Dareon Blackfyre. That would give Dany some (mummer) dragons to dance with. And mayhap a marriage??

6. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that myself. Very, very interesting theories we're coming up with.

.... Does anyone else feel the urge to gather up a mob and march down to GRRM's house demanding that he finish the book within 24 hours or else?

7. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Music House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I don't know how good of an idea that is. The unfinished pars might sound like a sword of truth, decent story but written horribly. Masterpiecs take time. But god damn, i wish i never read this thread, i'll be speculating until the next update on the new book.

8. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Another off-the-wall spec - Tyrion and Tysha? :D

9. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    That would be so cool :D.

Can we use pitchforks?

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    And torches. Torches are a must.

... Lya, I'm starting to feel as though you're my twin, somehow. >.> =P

11. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I must check to see if there's a dark secret around my birth :D.

And yes, how did I forget the torches?

12. GreyPilgrim

GreyPilgrim New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Asha is probably going to play an important part, else she was a wast of time ever mentioning, but wedding does not sound right and certainly not to Euron. In the chapter on Martin's site Dany is thinking of wedding but has not chosen who. If she wishes to rule from the iron throne she will need to wed a westerosi lord or a Targ. Any Greyjoy would be hated by the northmen and the men of the Reach, too contraversial to be consort. Quentyn on the other hand, or the maester's theory would fit and give her swords. A reunion of the two branches of house targaryen seems a good idea.

13. Maester Joergensen

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am willing to bet a pretty substantial amount of money, that it is Dany who get married. Only question in my book is to whom.
    I really only mentioned the Golden company for completeness and to see what people would say. Personally i think it is going to be Quentyn, Euron or Victarion.
    Or perhaps more than one of them.

At least if we are talking DwD. on he long turn i don´t know....

14. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I sort of hope it's Quentyn. I don't remember much about him but Targaryen/Martell would be a great match.

I'm just waiting for Dany to get to the Wall so she can find her true love - Jon. :)

15. Maester Joergensen

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I hope it is Quentyn to. But i don´t want Victarion to die, or some such. Kind of like him, though everyone else seem to think he is a bastard.
    If i remember correctly, Daenerys mount to dread, is connected with a corpse with grey lips standing at the prow of a ship. The grey lips and the ship, suggest to me it could mean something to do with Greyjoys.
    Perhaps standing at the prow of a ship signifies that it is Victarion as he is leading the ships towards Dany, but the corpse thing should then mean that he is going to die.

I don´t think being one of the mounts necesserarily mens that the are going to marry. Drogo was the mount to bed. It could mean a different kind of mounting. Like mounting a ship. A mount to carry her over the water.

And the mount to love could be the one she mounts her dragons with.
    The blue flower groving from a chink in a wall of ice. wonder who that could be.

16. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Here's new speculation for you:

"Well, I made my appearance on Sheep Island a few hours ago, cleverly disguised as Tyrion the Imp for a reading and Q&A session at Bantam's virtual bookstore. Only this version of Tyrion could fly! Ah, if only the Tyrion in the books could fly, what mischief he will... ah... could... ah, never mind."

Do you think Martin is just teasing us, or did he REALLY just give away that Tyrion will fly?

17. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    @ App: GRRM is sneaky. >.>

@ MJ: For the last bit - Jon? >.> Or was that a sarcastic question?

18. Maester Joergensen

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Just another thing. I now that GRRM has said that the title of the book "a dance of dragons", aren´t related to "the dance of the dragons" which were a internal Targaryen conflict. But think about it. The dance of the dragons occured because a Targaryen princess Rhaenyra Targaryen was the eldest child of the dead king, but Criston Cole "the kingmaker" wanted to put her younger brother Aegon on the throne.
    If a similar conflick should take place in "a dance of dragons", it should be between Daenerys and Jon. Dance of dragons are to take place in the North and on the Eastern continent. Do you think there are even a remote chance that Jons parentry will be revealed in aDoD, and that Daenerys and Jon will start "dancing" allready in "a dance of dragons".

19. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting Maester - it would explain the emphasis put on the 'Kingmaker' in AFFC too. I know that was mainly because of Arianne but we've already had her trying to repeat that episode with a twist. It could still be repeated with a different twist...

Nice spot App! I'd have to agree with Liadan though, GRRM is sneaky.

20. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

I just posted that same passage in the Tyrion thread. I guess I should have read it here first . . .

I think he's having fun messin' with us, he probably prowls fan forums like this one and laughs at the stuff we come up with.