non-fiction books

Discussion in 'General Books' started by anonymous, Apr 14, 2013.

1. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    so recently I started to read lots of documentaries and just general non-fiction books, (including study literature etc) like a history of universe; a brief history of time; the god is not great; selfish gene and many more.
    So what is your favorite non-fiction book; or the one you would suggest to read :p

For me it would be a selfish gene (I have basic knowledge of biology) and this book blew my mind, and made me realize how really unsignificant we are, and I really enjoyed (read a long time ago) a short history of nearly everything; lots of facts and interesting views.

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I haven't really read many, but mine would have to be "The Pattern on the Stone" by W. Daniel Hillis. It's a great book about computers which really is timeless.

I have also enjoyed reading "How the Mind Works" by Steven Pinker (mix of psychology, genetics and neuroscience), "The Shores of Middle-earth" by Giddings and Holland, "J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography" by Humphrey Carpenter, "Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" and "General Chemistry" by McQuarrie and Rock (more of a university course book though).

From that list I think that my main interests might be easy to discover.

3. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I should add like 8 books by Jeremy Clarkson - his awesome; and 2 by James May on by Richard Hammond. Needless to say I love TOP GEAR :D

and most of space/physics stuff..not sure if anyone in here has interest about them

4. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I like space/physics books.

My sister has read one Clarkson book, as well as Hammond's autobiography (about his crash). Safe to say, my siblings and I love Top Gear too.

5. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    the same book I did (about the Hammond)

for space/physics stuff
    1. a brief history of time (of course, so good ideas there, but for major public - and most people need to understand that Hawking is the most overrated physicist ever)
    2. A Short History of the Universe is a good book too
    3. The Quantum Universe: Everything that can happen does happen fun fun fun

I can suggest some more :D

6. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've read a a lot of Elie Weisel books that I enjoyed. They are all about WW2 and his own personal experience in the death camps. I think that counts more as biography than non-fiction actually. But since it's a real story it's not fiction anyway. I feel like I learnt more about WW2 from those books than any history class at school.

7. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    I have fond memories of "Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors" which was a good non-fiction read and I've read countless books about wildlife and a few survival -type non-fiction books: SAS Survival Guide and Tom Brown's Field Guide to Living with the Earth". Those were cool books... all about making rope and fire and finding water and food in the wilderness. I fervently hope I'll never have to use any of that knowledge (eating ants and earthworms really isn't my thing :p).
    The other non-fiction books I read a lot of are gardening books, especially ones about wildflowers and vegetable gardening.
    Human interest stories/biographies are great too. "The Diary of Anne Frank" and "Helen Keller's Teacher" were both books I loved as as kid.

8. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Not a recent read but one that always sticks in my mind is Ring of Bright Water by Gavin Maxwell (as well as his sequels to that book). It's an autobiography about a man who buys a house on the icy cold shores of Scotland and his life there as he shares his home with a handful of otters.

It's well written and in its time even became a national best selling title (complete with BBC film!) - a hint of the effects of this being seen in "The Rocks Remain" which is the following book.

9. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    ^^Overread, your post reminded me of some other good non-fiction reads. As a kid I loved the books by James Herriot too.

Search tags for this page

non fiction book forum

non fiction books about the wilderness