Ninja!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by The Great Adventurer, Apr 21, 2009.

1. The Great Adventurer

The Great Adventurer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The ninja is considered one of the greatest assassins of all time. Capable of many incredible feats.
    Some of these feats were quite fantastic. Some people say the ninja could fly, become invisible and even walk through walls. But then there are also less crazy feats such as, catching a sword or arrow before it strikes them. They were considered able to walk on water using special foot devises called Ukidaru. Along with there incredible feats the ninja were given a host of weapons.
    Shuriken
    Shikoro
    Kusarigama
    Ninjato
    Sai
    Caltrops
    Smoke bomb
    Firecraker
    Many other explosive devises
    A egg filled with metal or saw dust used blind enemies
    Katana
    Tiger claws

There are a few more

Here is the point
    This forum is to dispute the facts. And I don’t mean the ones like “can a ninja fly” that’s just silly. More like. Where they able to jump and land without making a sound. Can they catch a sword. Things like that. And any history you know about ninjas as well. Like where did the ninjas come from or and interesting facts.

And don’t bring up things like myth busters because there whole episode on ninjas was a little sketchy. This is your opinion and what you think you know. Hopefully by the end we will have a true version of…..

A NINJA!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Well on the topic of where they came from the answer is a mixture of China and India. Both nations had a history of clandestine warrior sects whose methods were adopted by the ninja in order to better turn a profit off of the strife that choked Japan in their heyday. I don't know the specific name of the Indian groups(this was before the Thugs I believe) but the Chinese group was known as the Moshu Nanren, who were like the Chinese special forces. The Ninja adopted Moshu Nanren combat techniques, stealth methods, and even the use of rumor (Ninja were supposedly descended from the Tengu crow demons, children of a Japanese storm god, the Moshu Nanren were allegedly descended from forest demons.)

On the topic of catching swords, it is possible that some ninja could do this bare handed, but most used special metal claws used primarily for climbing to accomplish this. And the landing without making a sound is true to an extent, not on dry leaves sure, but given proper technique anyone can land very quietly, although making no noise at all is a bit of an exaggeration.

3. The Great Adventurer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That’s an interesting view. I defiantly need to add that to my storehouse of ninja knowledge.

The ninja used two things to clime
    The Kurorokagi - a right angled iron hook.

And the Tekagi which is what I believe you where talking about. It was a bar lined with metal claws that would be attached to palms and feet to enable a ninja to scale walls. Don’t get the Tekagi confused with tiger claws which is actually more like brass knuckles……except way pointier.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  4. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    That is a very interesting topic! I used to practice ninjutsu a few years ago and my sensei told us a lot of stories about ninjas. The ones that really impressed me were the ones for Takamatsu who is considered the last known ninja alive and the one who taught the martial art to people that werent ninjas so that it would survive and be well-known to the world after his death. I will have to search for the stories a bit so that what I post will be accurate cause right now I only remember them as fairy tales.

5. Jorick

Jorick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    How so was it sketchy? I thought they did a very good job of showing what was truly possible and impossible.

As for my own opinion, I think a lot of the ninja legends were due to the rumor mongering I. R. Shogun brought up. Anyone with a keen mind for propaganda can find ways to use it to their own advantage. Spreading rumors of mystical powers would not only generate more business for the assassins, it would also make their competitors and opponents less likely to mess with them. Who in their right mind would fight masters of martial arts that can fly and walk on water? Who knows what else they can do if they have those couple powers?

Some of the other legends can be chalked up to ignorance. Sword catching, for instance. If a bystander sees someone stop a sword with what LOOKS like a bare hand (but is actually a metal guard in the palm of their hand), they'll spread the story they thought they saw. Invisibility is a similar story. If some ninjas got good at sneaking around, to the common folk they might seem to appear out of thin air at times.

Sorry for bashing ninjas, but you did ask for our opinion, so it's your own fault. :)

6. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    All I know is that I used to get dressed as a black ninja with real nunchakus(or how you call them)when I was a kid.In fact my dad took a picture of me while I was on the air when I jumped......................................off the couch to the floor.Thrilling.

7. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I dont think you are bashing ninjas at all! I dont think anyone clever enough would think that ninjas really could fly or disappear or anything like that. They were just very skillful illusionists if I may call them like that and they made people see what they wanted them to see. Of course they were very well trained warriors and they were trained almost since they were born. Since they were kids they were told little tricks like how they should be careful their shadow is never in front of them. So in case they are hidden in a corner their shadow wont give them away. Or the way they drew their swords from the case was a bit different than most of warriors. They drew it behind their back so that the blade is less visible and wont reflect the light. They were just trained to be invisible.

Girls ninjas were called kunoichi which means the first of the void. Ninjas in contrast with Samurai appraised women and they knew that some things a woman can do better than a man. Little fragile japanese girls with hair clips full of poison or umbrellas with hidden swords were verily dangerous...

8. The Great Adventurer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is some interesting information and opinions flying around. Hopefully this will continue.

The reasons I felt the myth busters episode was a little sketchy was for a few reasons.

For one. The sword catching trick. They never tested the trick with tekagi which some may say is being picky but in reality that was probably how the ninja did it. If they had done proper research they would have found that out. Also. They used robots to test it. You cant compare a robot to the keen skills, agility, training and adrenaline of a human. They should have got a wooden or plastic katana. Put a helmet of someone and attacked them. THAT would have been the best way to do it and probably the only way they should have done. Plus it would have been funner

Also- for the walking across water test they only tried the water strider. They should have also tried the ukidaru which are essentially mini barrels on the feet. In either case both tools where used with a long stick.

And the arrow catching myth was not only pointless it was wrong. All they needed to do was look in the Guinness book of world records. There have been many people who caught arrows. And all of them did it without a tennis ball attached. Also they used a mechanical bow which is specially made to fire as well as possible. An old style wood bow would fire much slower making it easier to catch.

I hope I was able to effectively explain why I felt the episode was sketchy.

Do not leave any arguments in retaliation to this comment. This forum is to disguises ninja not for arguing the credibility of an episode of mythbusters.

9. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, this thread seems to be a bit older but appears to be an interesting one.

I would say that a ninja do not "fly" in the common sense but may be able to jump, when from a height usually making a forward or backward role for landing on the feet when getting feet on the ground.

Second thing I have found is the mentioning of "katana" which is not a Ninja-weapon. A katana, Wakazachi etc. belongs to a Samurai, usually the opponents of the Ninjas. A Ninja sword should be called a Bokken. The difference between the two is that the Samurai one is curved and the Bokken has a straight blade.

What else among the mentioned weapons I also miss Kusari fundo (the weighted chain), tanto (the dagger), Naginata (the spear), Bo (staff) and Hanbo (half staff).

As far as I know was the origin of Chinese monks who brought it later to Japan. It was used by Japanese "farmers" against nobility, therefore partly weapons out of the daily use of farmers like the Kusarigama (the chain-sickle).

So, that is my little bit of input (for the first ...)