News - New site activities and competitions!

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Overread, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Yes its a new year and time for a big series of changes to TFF to get life back into the site!

First and foremost I would like to put out feelers now to see what you members are willing to and want to see on the site and where some of you would like to help out formally as well.

I know in the past we've had some informally run competitions and we would like to see more. Things like reading months, art competitions, writing challenges etc... Even thing which are not competitive, like a formal writers circle or similar.

The idea being to give us more than just "spam" threads to draw us in and interact with. I'm also looking for small teams of users to help run these events. If each has a dedicated team of a few members this also helps us avoid one person taking a break killing something off before everyone cna run around to find someone new to take over. So starting with a team should help bolster their running.

This is really about YOU the members. What you want from the site and can give to make it a great community. So sound off your ideas/suggestions - if there is something you'd like to run say so :) And please to prod anyone you know who has always wanted to run something or get something going who can be sent this way.

Below is a proposed change to site structure. This should be the final major revamp for a while, however its hoped that we might expand the writing section somewhat due to the rise in general popularity of self publishing and also how many fans of fantasy are keen writers, something we'd like to promote more strongly on the forums and encourage.

General Discussion

Fantasy Worlds
    Archive "Twilight" due to lack of activity (the only active thread is why people hate it). Potential earmark on archiving Narnia

Weapons and Armour
    Combine "Functional Swords" "Historical Weapons and Armour" into "General Weapons and Armour"
    Move "Fantasy Weapons and Armour" into "Lord of the Rings Weapons and Armour" and retitle "Lord of the Rings and other fantasy Weapons and Armour
    Move "Leatherworking" into "Costuming" Rename Costuming into "Historical Re-enactment"

Book forums
    chasing up if we still get a link back from Literature Netwo - if yes keep if no remove.

Writing forums
    move up the page under General Discussion.
    Add "Self publishing" section

Houses - Houses no longer functions as select niche groups thus the feature is no longer needed.

TFF House Discussions - archive content
    Art House - Add Photography house content and remove photography house
    Fighters Guide - remove and add content to historical re-enactment
    Music House - remove and add content to general music
    Scribes House - move to Writing forums
    Book Club - Move to Book forum
    Historian's House - move to weapons and armour - consider renaming section
    Movie club- remove and move content to general films

No further site changes planned.

In general I've aimed to remove sections which have seen no recent activity and either archive the content where its no longer relevant to the site, or combine sections into others. The biggest changes are cutting down the size of the historical section and also removing the houses feature. Whilst I do appreciate the historical importance of the houses feature on the site they simply no longer function as originally intended and are now often repeating content/sections elsewhere on the site. Furthermore the population is not (currently) big enough to really require a niche area. Thus I see combination and movement of the various sections as an effective way to cut down on site bulk without losing anything from the site itself.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    well I think me and JNK would be best suited for some scientific/science related threads/competitions.

And the first competition I promote would be a month long writing contest for the most pointless way you can imagine how to use sms.

exmaples : using sms for gps navigation.

emm, you should have turned left here.
    turn right
    turn right
    why did not you turned right

3. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    I say we have a story challenge. either short story or something like it. similar to what's been done before, and almost last year, but SJ kinda disappeared and it never went anywhere.

4. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    Something crosses my mind. The writing section was thought up by a retard. Writers aren't even using it. They're posting in the general fantasy section instead, myself included.

I advise deleting all 3 sections and making 2 new ones as replacement. Nobody gives a damn about reviews, fan fiction can go in that book's section (not that anybody writes it), and fan poetry... WTF?!

Replace with these 2 sections:

1. Showcase - post a sample chapter of your writing for other members to critique.

2. Writing Questions - for any world building, plot structuring, or character development queries.

Make those 2 sections AND GET RID OF THE OTHERS and new members WILL show up to post in them. I'll be around to make sure they get reasonable responses. There's no need for competitions - people are just looking for input on their ideas. Good advice is hard to find. The major writing forums get so much stuff posted that most gets ignored. So people are drifting around looking for a place to post samples and questions, but one glance at this site's sections and they're like WTF?!

5. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    ah but see you're not 100% correct that nobody posts in the writing section, because I have posted actual excerpts of my story in said section. a better solution would be to transfer all writing threads to the writing section.

and competitions are purely meant to be a fun little side thing to get some activity. if done properly, it's actually quite fun, and it also kinda gives you a good feeling of what a deadline can be like and trying to finish something by said deadline.

EDIT: woops, just realized it was the Scribes House that I posted in :D. but regardless, my comment still stands because there are people who are on this forum who write fan fics and other stuff like that.

6. Daughter of Hell

Daughter of Hell damosel in distress

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -2
    Transfer sample chapters to where? That's my point. There isn't a section for it! I'm not writing fan fic, and the reviews section is some boggled commercial trash can. It needs redoing.

7. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    The Scribes House. as far as I'm aware, that's where that sort of stuff is supposed to go

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    A small part of the problem is that TFF back in its early days was two active forums merged together; so there was some repeat of sections. Also with a bigger population there was some division between casual sections and serious ones (the houses mostly). Some of that is now indeed redundant with a smaller population.

Certainly some revision to the order and structure is in the pipeline - we already had one remodelling of the structure and I think we are due a second to help tidy up more (its about not changing so much all at once we confuse those we do have as well as letting things settle)

9. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    letting things settle? if we let them settle even more we can close the site :D :p

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I've also plans that if we attach a string to Anon's tail we can spin him in the free space ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    or just find a laser pointer

12. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I've now added a restructuring proposal to the first post (in the spoiler tag). Please review and provide your views :) Nothing is changed yet but its in the pipe line.

13. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I like the idea to restructure the forum. Even as a veteran I sometimes get lost looking for certain sub-forums or threads, and I'm sure dead sub-forums on the front page don't look very attractive for (potential) new members.

I've read your proposal and have no objections - probably because I don't visit most of the forums in question. :D

14. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    the proposal you've submitted seems like a step in the right direction OR. it'll obviously be confusing at first should anyone need to go to a moved section, but it might be nice to have the forums compressed a bit

15. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    My thanks you two and yes I hope that most of the moves would make sense. Certainly many of the compressions could be expanded in time; but at present and in the near future I think we'd be better served by a tighter site structure.

16. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Just cut the dying parts of the forum, if the topics will become relevant, the`ll be re-created. its like in economics where is demand there is supply.

17. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Trimming the fat sounds like a good idea to me. With regard to the writing section I think the Scribe's house was a little hard to find which might be why nobody posted there very much. Amalgamating all the writing stuff into one area in the general discussion section and moving errant new threads there should help to make it less confusing and more obvious to new members.

18. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Update - the site structure changes are coming into effect in the next few days. I can't say exactly when because it depends a little on when I get a question answered; though I might start before then (it an efficiency question rather than process so either way things get done).

If you notice sections vanishing or suddenly being "locked" to new posts that just means I'm there moving things around. I will lock any section I'm moving content from to prevent stuff appearing whilst I'm working on it. This should only affect those sections mentioned in the opening post of this thread in the spoiler tags.

19. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    so in other words, freak the f out when you can't get into a portin of the site... got it.

:D

20. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Sounds about right ;) :)