News from the Eastern Mediterrenean

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by Foinikas, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    We've got some very fast and sudden news that are of great importance as they change the balance of powers and the political map of the Eastern Mediterrenean and the Middle-East completely:

First of all,as our noble member Kakashi informed me earlier today and I thank him for this,Turkey has expelled the Israeli ambassador(and thus the entire embassy)from the country.Turkey has given the Israeli ambassador until Wednesday to leave,after the Israeli government refused to apologize for the death of the Turkish protesters onboard the ship that was heading to Gaza.

But is that it?Or is there something else as well?Which brings us to the second matter which I just read about.Some of you may know that Cyprus and Israel are preparing to drill the oil and all the other wealth in the area of Eastern Mediterrenean,leaving Turkey behind,however Turkey says that this is illegal.Well...here it is:

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey on Friday threatened to show the "necessary response" to any move by Cyprus to start exploratory drilling for offshore gas deposits.

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Cyprus had no right to go ahead with efforts to search for gas before a settlement to reunify the divided island will be reached.

"No one has the right to do anything over the island's natural resources ... before the Cyprus issue isn't resolved," Davutoglu told reporters. There must be an administration representing both parts of the island, he insisted.

"Turkey would show the necessary response if further steps are considered," he said. He did not specify what Turkey's response would be.

Cyprus was split into a Greek Cypriot south and a breakaway Turkish Cypriot north in 1974 when Turkey invaded the island. Cyprus joined the EU in 2004, but only the south enjoys the membership's benefits.

The island's northern part declared its independence in 1983 but it is recognized only by Turkey, which maintains 35,000 troops there.

The Greek Cypriot government aims to start exploratory offshore drilling at the end of the year.

Cyprus' Commerce Ministry energy service chief Solon Kassinis this week suggested that drilling could begin in October, adding that it would take a couple of months before officials have a clear picture of the gas reserve's size.

Turkey has long opposed the Greek Cypriot government's search for offshore gas saying it disregards Turkish Cypriots' rights. It also believes the search would damage long-running talks aimed at reunification.

The Greek Cypriot government has said Turkish Cypriots could share the potential bounty once a peace accord is signed.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...goes-ahead-with-exploratory-gas-drilling.html

2. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    They say that where is oil there are many hands that want to take! Hope this will not end up in a war.

3. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    The Turkish demands are irrational.They don't want anyone to take advantage of the oil until the matter is resolved?They do nothing to resolve the matter. Basically their mentality is "if we can't have it,nobody else should".But the problem is that they moved on to military threats:

http://www.topix.com/forum/world/cyprus/TVF05NHE3INQT4OJE

According to experts who emphasized that big financial resources and high technology are required for exploring oil and natural gas from a seabed at depths of 2000 meters, the American company, which has obtained the contract, could not be a small organization. The depth of the Mediterranean Sea in the places for which the Greek Cypriots invited tenders was 2,500 meters. Very few international companies posses this technology. These are the giant companies like Shell, ExxonMobil, Petrobass and the Russian Lucoil.High-level Turkish officials who follow closely the oil crisis have said:‘The Turkish navy is immediately sent away from the region even the ships which search for oil. Our warships periodically patrol. It is not possible to give our permission for oil well, even if they are Americans’.“

4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
  5. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Yeah,I heard that on TV last night and they also said Turkey was taking their fleet to "patrol" the area to prevent Cyprus from drilling.Plus one of our ministers was in Israel to sign treaties and agreements I think in defence mainly against Turkey or something.Things are heating up too fast.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

If you actually think Israel is going to intercede on your behalf against Turkey, over Mediterranean drilling rights no less, you're sadly mistaken.

I have a feeling this is a big to-do over nothing.

7. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I don't have illusions,Israel would hardly do something to protect us,however being in good terms with Israel while Turkey is acting like the new middle-east power and threatening us,it's only a logical diplomatic move to strengthen the military ties with Israelis.Besides,the drilling rights have been given to American and Israeli companies so it's in their interest to prevent any Turkish aggressive action in the area.

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Your reasoning is irrationally because you're emotionally involved.

In the status-quo that has been created over the years, drilling for gas might well offset the balance a lot. From what I've been able to find out, the find is very recent and I somehow feel dead certain no political answer has been attempted to find thus far.

Either side starting the drilling could well be considered the aggressor on the delicate status-quo reached over decades of relative calm. Either country would be foolish to give it up. Even considering the thought might incur political consequences, as has been shown the case. And, really, militaristic exchanges between Greece and Turkey have sparked over as little as a pebble above the surf. This is billions of dollars in gas, if not more.

Now, the benefits off the gas fields of the south coast might be huge. Colossal, certainly in terms of the islands economy. Brokering a deal between the two countries over the gas might show beneficiary for Cyprus, Greece and Turkey alike. It offers great opportunity. However, and I don't want to be a cynic, this is the Mediterranean region. Tempers might spark. This might also end in a terrible nightmare for all three, if not attended to either quick or decisively.

9. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    You are right that I am emotionally involved,but you have to take into consideration 3 things:

1.Northern Cyprus is considered an "illegal" state and is under embargo(if I'm not mistaken)by the U.N.
    2.Turkey has been negative and delaying any efforts for a solution to the Cyprus problem.
    3.The area of the drill is under Cypriot jurisdiction and "ownership".Again,correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically,they don't want to solve the Cyprus problem and until it's solved they say they will get their fleet out and "sink" any ships that try to make researches about the oil in the Eastern Mediterrenean or prevent the drilling somehow.

10. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, well....

Something tells me the Turks don't recognise the Greek Cypriot gouvernment. And something tells me that the Turks also claim the rest of the island, the part over which they have no command. So the drilling and selling off of gas could be considered theft (if you consider that for a complete sell, the selling party needs ownership over the goods). The Turks mention that ownership (or partial ownership) needs to be agreed upon before any (legal) selling could take place.

On the other hand, you're right about the UN are mostly backing the Greek Cypriot gouvernment and, thus, would make a case for the legal selling of gas by the Greek Cypriot gouvernment. Still, the last UN proposed settlement to the Cypriot issue was voted away by Greek Cypriots, whilst being accepted by the Turks.

In the end, I think both sides are pig-headed enough not to agree with one another, whatever the issue. And that military means are always amongst those tools at hand.

11. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    They've gone through a lot so it's hard to make them agree.Besides Turkey has always wanted the island,now that there are preparations about drilling,now that there's wealth in the area around the island they are drooling like a wolf before fat sheep.They can't accept the fact that Israel denied them an apology and agreed to share the wealth with Greek-Cypriots.The fact is that Turkey had already finished any repairs or upgrades of tanks and jet fighters before they cut ties with Israel.They always use the "casus belli" as a way to bully people in the area to back up whenever they try to do something,mostly us.You want to expand your naval borders to 12 miles like the international law says?Casus belli.You want to drill wealth from the area around you?Casus belli.You want to fish?Casus belli.You want to smoke?Casus belli.

12. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    They can get their noobish fleet out but they forget that SAILORS call the Greeks not them... And trust me they still remember Averof. They maybe got aggressive politics about oil but when they speak about fleets it is like telling jokes.

For as long as our fleet sails the seas, we have a nation” – Admiral Themistoklis on the eve of the naval battle of Salamis.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  13. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Averof....the legend!They never were good with sea warfare that's true.

14. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    The tension is rising.

The searches for oil and other wealth will start in October and Turkey announced they will sink any ship they find "in the open".The Vice President of the Greek Parliament said that any action against Cyprus is an action against Greece as well.

They also said on TV today that the Cypriot National Guard is on alert and that various high ranking officers inspected the Greek Army,Air Force and Navy as well.

Meanwhile,the American drilling company "Noble" said they don't care about Turkey's threats,they will look for oil.Russia is against a Turkish intervention as well.

I'm very worried...I am seriously worried about a war.

[​IMG]

This is the balance of powers in the Balkans.Add to Cyprus 41 more main battle tanks and minus 1 attack helicopter from Greece.

15. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Indeed October is the month that all will be decided. I searched yesterday my army suit. Hope that there will be no need to wear it again. What humans do for oil...

16. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    This is not the balance of power in the Balkan area, as I have explained before.

Turkey knows they would lose any open war. Greece is still backed by a few very powerful allies, top of which is still the EU. As much as Turkey is moving its horizon towards the east, they can't afford to lose the ties with those countries closest aligned to Greece. They would become an international pariah, whilst the main success of Turkey thus far was not being the pariah of the middle-east. Economically, they can't afford to lose that position. The gouvernment wouldn't be able to afford that position.

It's really a gliding scale. Turkey would loose immediate goodwill with the west with every military action against the Greek-Cypriot controlled territory. With sentiments in Europe being somewhat accepting but mistrusting, I assume that very little is needed to confirm that mistrust. Although small military actions might not lead to open war, Turkey stands to loose a lot regardless, which is a lot more than they can afford. Turkey is well aware of this, trust me.

17. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Cyprus is supposed to be one member of 27 EU countries... So that oil is EU oil... i can't undestand why some countries still encourage Turkey to buly the area.

18. Foinikas

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    I heard on the news that Turkey took the fleet out for exercises and patrolling as well probably.Davutoglu went to Egypt and started talking as if Turkey is the protector of muslims in the area.Israel said they are not backing off with the drilling and they are not afraid of the Turkish navy.

19. Ravenheart

Ravenheart New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think that the question that is really need to be asked is- why now??
    turkey and cypros hate each other for years and until now turkey was israel's best arab freind in the mediterrenean and not a religious contry.
    so what happened?
    the answer is simple, turkey has a mad president! araduan is mad, he gets angry from every little thing and doesn't stop threatening- israel, cypros- everyone!
    how do you solve this problem?- good question

20. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    erase the turkey from global maps... Simple! (just kidding)

Well Turkey needs to understand that to mess up with Israel , Greece and Russia is not a good thing... Turkey still thinks that Greece is weak to oppose. We watch everyday the turkish air force to pass the borders and threaten the area and our air force to sent them back to their country...,while kurds protests for a new nation inside Turkey. They threat Cyprus for the AOZ oil area. While they have no right to these oil resources. They make troubles to Russian ships that pass through Turkey to connect Russia with Greece and rest EU. They broke up the alliance with Israel for the oil cause Israel is trying to help Cyprus to extract it.