News & discussion about The Hobbit movie

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Curufeanor, Jun 29, 2004.

1. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  2. KingLuffa

KingLuffa New Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Re: Any news about the Hobbit movie

Can't wait to see it...unfortunately I gotta wait another 2 years.

3. rough666

rough666 Head of the Dept. of Evil

British Columbia, 668 - Neighbor of the Beast
    Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Here is a great article/interview with PJ from Comic Con:
    http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2009...ks/#more-32999

Interesting that not one single role has been cast yet, isn't it?!? I like the fact that Gandalf's story will be more detailed when he leaves Bolbo and the Dwarves. A very good read, indeed!

4. Sïalla

Sïalla New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I really wish that there was more information about this movie -.- I've read that Bilbo role has already been casted but i've seem so many rumors about who it might be... =/

5. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0

It's been confirmed Guillermo del Toro will not direct the hobbit any more, due to schedule reasons. Though it's said that he'll still help to finish the script. First he was committed to three years. But now if was going to direct the movie he would have to commit six years of his life to the film, which is just too much for him to do. So they'll have to find another director to do the film, which will probably take it's time and yeah that will just postpone the production of the film.

6. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yep. I just read that new.

7. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0

Of course there's more to it. MGM, who owns the rights to LOTR, is threatening to get bankrupt. Which means that there's a possibility the movie won't get made after all... It depends... I mean look at the Golden Compass. There's two reasons no sequel got made. The film wasn't that successful and two MGM was already not very stable back then. So there is still hope that this movie will get made if MGM gets bankrupt. They sell the rights and another company will make the movie, hopefully then. That's how it seems to go with the Terminator franchise.

8. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0

This news might interest you. Peter Jackson is in negotiation to take over the director's chair from Guillermo Del Toro. Who would be better to direct the hobbit movies than the director of LOTR himself?

9. Sïalla

Sïalla New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I was actually enthusiastic about Del Toro directing the movie, it would've given Middle Earth an interesting touch xD But I wouldn't mind PJ coming back ;) and Hobbit would really feel like a prequel better with the same director as LOTR :)

10. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  11. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0

Seems Peter Jackson is now directing it.

12. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  13. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +646 / 3 / -1

You know that picture in the article of Freeman - really really they should not have put that it is not the face of bilbo at all ;)

As for moving to the UK - I hope they are aware that we don't have any forests over here ;)

14. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

New news on theonering.net about the hobbit

Filming will stay in New Zealand
    The Hobbiton set is being built as a permanent attraction
    Brian Blessed (Hamlet, Much ado about nothing) may be in talks about a role in The Hobbit

15. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Directly from TORN's page, here are the people that are confirmed as part of the cast:

MARTIN FREEMAN – BILBO BAGGINS
    RICHARD ARMITAGE – THORIN OAKENSHIELD
    AIDAN TURNER – KILI
    ROB KAZINSKY – FILI
    GRAHAM MCTAVISH – DWALIN
    JOHN CALLEN – OIN
    STEPHEN HUNTER – BOMBUR
    MARK HADLOW – DORI
    PETER HAMBLETON – GLOIN
    JAMES NESBITT – BOFUR
    ADAM BROWN – ORI

Rumored and Speculative

SYLVESTER MCCOY – RADAGAST THE BROWN UNCONFIRMED
    BRIAN BLESSED – unknown RUMORED
    BILL NIGHY – THE VOICE OF SMAUG RUMORED

VIGGO MORTENSEN – ARAGORN RUMORED
    IAN MCKELLEN – GANDALF RUMORED
    HUGO WEAVING – ELROND RUMORED
    CATE BLANCHETT – GALADRIEL RUMORED
    ANDY SERKIS – GOLLUM RUMORED

Unknown Casting or Voice Talent

Balin
    Bifur
    Nori
    Bert
    Tom
    William
    Beorn
    Elvenking
    Master of Lake-town
    Bard
    Dain
    Eagles
    Spiders Etc..

16. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Re: The Hobbit film

This thread is clearly dead...but I can't see a good reason for it considering the current climate! Anyway, it was hilarious going back through the few posts and remembering the speculation of 6 years ago. Gosh...it's been a long time coming, and we've still got a long way to go!

I'm very curious to see what people think now that the LotR has had time to really become part of cinematic history...now that it's not so 'fresh and new' in everyone's minds.

Up until recently, I agreed with many of the posts on this thread regarding casting rumours, and I will admit that it will take a careful hand in order to pull it off. However, I'd like to point everyone in the direction of an interview given by Professor Corey Olsen, who teaches medieval literature at Washington College (and is an expert in, amongst other things, Middle English, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien):

http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/ask_the_answer_bitch/b220017_peter_jackson_screwing_up_hobbit.html

What Professor Olsen did was (surprisingly) convince me that, handled correctly, cameos might not be all that bad.

Highlights below, taking them one at a time:

Legolas: Olsen says, "The idea that the king would go to war and the son would not be there? Legolas must be there. Otherwise it would be a violation of the integrity of the story. You would have to invent a reason for Legolas of be out of town that day."

I'm surprised at how 'okay' I am with this. I have mocked Orlando Bloom and his portrayal of Legolas many, many, many times in the last decade. I mean, here is a guy who, when discussing Gandalf's death in FotR, said that Elves would be confused by death, as it's something he wouldn't have seen before, when discussing Gandalf's death in FotR. I mean...c'mon.

That being said, however, Olsen makes an excellent point. If Legolas was at home when the battle of 5 armies took place, there's no way he wouldn't have gone to war with his people. And since Tolkien did not give us an excuse for Legolas to have been away...it really does make sense for him to be included. It's not like you're skipping out on a particular elven general if you don't include him...this is Legolas...the Kings' son...a prince. He'll be missed. It would arguably (in a sense) be less faithful to come up with an excuse for Legolas not being there than to just put him in...even though he's never mentioned in the book itself. Remember who wrote the book, after all! It was not Tolkien ... (more on that in a moment)

Galadriel: "At one point in that story, the wizard Gandalf disappears on a mysterious errand. It's later revealed that he was attending a key meeting with a powerful group called the White Council.

Given that info, Olsen says, "not only is it not a stretch" to include Galadriel in the upcoming movie, but, really, "you can't get around it.""

Again, I was surprised I never thought of this. But since Peter Jackson is planning on exploring The White Council, the Necromancer, etc., during these two films, it really does make perfect sense to include not only Galadriel, but also Saruman. So we really ought to expect to see Christopher Lee don the long wig again. And as Olsen says, if you're going to look at The White Council...you can't get around it. You've got to include these characters, really. They're too big not to be included.

Frodo: This one is actually very interesting, and key to both TH & LotR as we know them.

We, the humble reader, are actually reading copies of, 'The Red Book of Westmarch'. We're not reading J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Hobbit'. If you didn't know this...if you've never read deeper than the two primary books (The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings)...or if you've only ever seen the films...prepare to have your little world mildly blown apart. Bilbo wrote "There and Back Again"...which became "The Red Book of Westmarch", and contains the entire story as we know it from TH through LotR. Its creation was assisted by and continued by Frodo. (Incidentally, "The Silmarillion" was written by the Elves, and hence you can understand it's completely different tone and focus!)

Tolkien's idea was to write a fictional history of our world...a pre-history. A pre-Christian history. A really, really, old and ancient history. Etc. In its early forms, this idea had actual modern cities, etc., (in England, for example...Tolkien said, "'The Shire' is based on rural England and not any other country in the world...") as the geographical locations of 'ancient' events that took place in the days of 'Middle-earth'. This finely-tuned idea was abandoned by Tolkien, but the general purpose of writing a history of the world remained.

Furthermore, everyone knows that when Bilbo found the ring he 'lied' to the Dwarves about how precisely he came about getting it. Later, in "The Lord of the Rings", Book II, Chapter 2, 'The Council of Elrond', Bilbo re-tells his story...telling the 'true' version...and he apologises to any present (Gloin, for example) who had previously heard a different version.

This is more than a semi-interesting minor story arc. In actuality, when Tolkien began to write LotR, he had to go back and re-write parts of TH, most especially the "Riddles in the Dark" chapter, wherein the finding of the ring is discussed. This was in order to bring the stories in-line with each other, and make them congruous. Therefore, Bilbo explains that different versions of the story may have been heard before.

Furthermore, Bilbo never changed the version of the story as written in "There and Back Again", and Frodo didn't have the heart to change anything as written by Bilbo himself. However, new copies of the book were created, which included the corrected tale...though there was no guarantee that there were not still older copies of The Red Book floating about with the old version of the "Riddles" chapter.

In other words, if you read a very old copy of "The Hobbit", prior to Tolkien's changes, you are reading the story as Bilbo wrote it himself. If you read a current copy, you read it as corrected by Frodo et al.

Fascinating on so many levels, as it shows the dedication of Tolkien to ensuring a very high-level of believability in the sub-creation. But that's another discussion.

This all comes a long way about of saying that it is not a stretch to have a 2-minute cameo by Frodo with the Red Book of Westmarch, in some fashion introducing the story of "The Hobbit". It makes perfect sense.

Anyway, enough from me. Agree? Disagree?

17. KaptariMind

KaptariMind Argonaut

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First, let me just say Wow. That was a whole lot of really great information.

I have to admit, this information makes me feel a lot better about the cameos. I really needed to understand the context for them, so I really appreciate the research. As long as they don't go too crazy with it (I don't want to get too involved with these characters and detract from the actual TH story-line), I have to say I'm pretty much on board with it now.

So now I have to ask: What are your thoughts on the loss of del Toro as director and Jackson deciding to do the job himself?

18. Ser Land

Ser Land New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'd just like to clear out a detail. The Silmarillion wasn't written by the elves. It was written by Bilbo, upon hearing the tales told by the elves at Rivendell.

19. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

Fair point and well said. I should have said 'written from an elvish point of view'.

20. jeremiah.l.burns

jeremiah.l.burns Callo

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0

I'm actually really very pleased about the change. Whilst I was very excited at the prospect of del Toro's vision of Middle-earth, to my mind it was still a second-choice to PJ & Co. Primarily, this is due to a desire for continuity between the two series of films. Whilst PJ would still have been producing and heavily involved, and therefore it would be highly unlikely for continuity to be an issue, it still feels best to have him in the driver's seat properly.

It's been 10 years since FotR. In that time I've grown a lot as a Tolkien fan and as a movie critic in my own mind. I tend to attempt to take a film at it's own merits, and try to not compare it too harshly with its source material...though to avoid this completely is impossible. Therefore, I'm more lenient on films these days than I was 10 years ago, should they stray from the source material too much...provided the result is still enjoyable to watch.

I like the books for what they are, and I like the films for what they are...almost as if they're representing very similar and yet very different events in two parallel universes.

I'm extremely keen to see how 'The Hobbit' turns out. I've not been this eager for a film release since...well...RotK, quite possibly.