New UC Products Update!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by noelchiew, Sep 3, 2004.

1. LOTR Fan

LOTR Fan Universals v. Particulars

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fix The White Staff Problems!!!!!!!!! Then Make Functional Sting Swords!!!!!!!!!! :jawa:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  2. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The same thing happened to my Hadhafang too. Only I got several cracks running down the back of the handle. I assume it's the humidity that's expanding the wood.

3. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    The problem is in general smaller dealers placing smaller orders so they have to keep less in stock. We place larger orders, we get larger allocations, we keep more in stock.

Also time does matter. If a dealer waits to place their order with UC then their customers are going to wait longer to receive their products.

To give you an example, on another forum I read where someone was chummy with their retailer and always ordered through them. They said they'd have a couple month wait for an item because the retailer had only gotten like 2. I don't remember which item exactly, it was a new release though. Either Legolas' knives or Gandalf's staff I think. In anycase at the time we had the item in stock in large quantity, which is why I thought it odd.

UC told it's employees to stop giving out shipment dates unless the person was going to receive allocation from that shipment. Retailers were getting upset when they didn't receive products. We get allocations from every shipment of new products, obviously not all retailers do. So in addition to small allocations you could end up with no allocation.

The other factor is the retailer not anticipating demand and or failing to place additional orders in a timely manner.

So, some small volume retailers or those who are not as dedicated to the LOTR line are not going to be able to ship items in as timely a manner as larger dedicated retailers.

Also if a retailer also has a brick and mortar business they may give preference to in-person customers.

I have no idea who you ordered from, so I don't know if this describes them or not.

In anycase, if you had ordered from us you would have had your Legolas' knives in Febuary or January, so it is certainly not UC's fault. Granted, defective products are UC's fault, and getting Legolas' knives in 2004 instead of 2003 is UC's fault, but once the product starts shipping it comes down to the retailer. If they do not have the funds, warehouse room, or anticipation to place large orders they'll receive smaller allocations.

You know... UC has produced so many Legolas' knives that I believe even our orders (from UC)for April & May have been filled. So if you ordered it in Nov and only just received it then I'd have to think that at the time you ordered it from your retailer thay had either not yet ordered it from UC or they had ordered it, but not even in enough quantity to cover existing orders, or they later cancelled their UC order, or they simply let others (or in-person customers) get infront of you.

I know it may seem like I'm going on and on about this, but I really find it that incredible. Around here I can't spit without hitting Legolas' knives.

4. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ah! I had my doubts about if it was Soc and Plato or Plato and Aristotle, now I'm sure :p

Well, I have my frustration with UC also... I'm still waiting for the Anduril scabbard to come out... now it seems like I won't be getting it until next year... and of course, it won't fit the MC Anduril... (I hope it won't, 'coz if it does then it'll probably mean that the MC's blade profile isn't much different from the stainless steel one, and that'd just be bad) and the Leggy knives I got for my brother weren't exactly in prestine condition when they came in

I've just read so much about people complaining about the MC line coming out, and yours just happened to be the latest one I saw and replied to... Right now I'm just happy that there might be a possiblity that there would be a more sophisticated Anduril coming out, and I don't really think of my UE Anduril any less, probably because it's an unlimited edition and I got it for under $200 including shipping... Like I said I won't go hacking even with an MC Anduril, but the one thing that I'm not really happy with the stainless steel Anduril is its balance, and my greatest hope with the MC line is that the balance, because of the blades' construction and grinding etc, would be better, and it'd feel much better in hand, and I'll be a happy man.

About UC doing a "functional" line, I think the first time that I was aware that it might be a possibilty for UC was early this year, but as far as I know UC doesn't make any functional swords (please correct me if I'm wrong)... and I think they might have thought of it and even planned it, but if I were UC I wouldn't have annouced it. Like you said they're a business, they can't tell people there *might* be something better down the line, but oh please buy this now. And really I think they would have had to gauge interest from the stainless steel line before deciding to go ahead. And if the stainless steel line didn't do as well, we'd all just be disappointed because the MC line won't be made. I think the situation is reasonable and I think UC is doing a good job of letting people know (especially those who'd buy them, like you or me, through forums like this) what's coming. Right now I would think the MC Anduril is at least 6 months away... so I'll start saving now... :)

Skyanide, no offense taken, I just have too much time on my hand right now, just graduated and all... your sentence wit hthe word just triggered an automatic response haha... and I know my posts were long, I just tend to keeping firing at the keyboard once I get started. Now that I think more carefully, I think it was Justice who sold his LOTR stuff... sorry about that!

I do however, agree that UC could put more resources in quality control. I don't have any problems (other than tiny scratches and minor blemishes that are not noticeable) on my own stuff, but I've also read quite a few problems mentioned here, and your picture is just one case in point.

I do worry about the quality of the eventual MC Anduril. My UE is near perfect (I would point you to pictures, but saddly the gallery isn't here anymore), the Sun and the runes all line up great; but I've also seen pictures of misaligned runes and the Sun way up towards the blade instead of right at the guard, etc. The problem was mainly with the LE versions, and apparently the fixed it for the UE ones... so I do worry what would the initial MC's quality will be like, and with them likely being limited (really no idea), that really does worry me quite a bit.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  5. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    AE,

Let's hope that the MC Anduril is just remarkable!!! I concede I will likely buy one - and hats off to UC for teasing and tantalizing everyone's tastebuds just enough to make us want more of their product!

But I repeat: fix the White Staff, and just give us our Anduril scabbard :)

6. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That I totally agree

7. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Oh... damaged products. UC has never refused to accept returns from us of damaged products. We've returned as much as 80% of a shipment of Gandalf staffs or Strider scabbards.

If you receive a damaged product you should return it to your retailer for a replacement.

8. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I think I understand where Skyanide is coming from.

He lives an hour away form me. Ordering a sword from the US involves a lot more work when you live in a different country.

Customs, and shipping fee's, it a pain.

so, to have to deal with that 2 more times, he just said it isn't worth it, and got fed up.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  9. HybridK03

HybridK03 KID A

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I deal directly with UC and in my opinion, they simply cannot or will not commit to strict quality control. I've called MANY times to complain about this and the response I got was that they just can't keep up and don't have the man power to carefully inspect ALL the pieces because of the HUGE demand for getting these LOTR items shipped out. I laughed at the QC Inspected stickers on my second batch of Gandalf the White staves. Laughed out loud!

As CB Swords mentioned, there is only one way to work around this: UP the quantity you order - it's a numbers game, hopefully it works in your favor. However, if you are a consumer, your dealer really should be looking over your products BEFORE you get them. I have many customers in Canada and they get bent over in regards to shipping, duties, taxes, and brokerage fees. Dealing with that would make me mad, too.

10. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hybrid - I would be interested to find out where in So CA you are (PM me) I have a hard time finding any retail store and the like in my area - if I understand you correctly it would appear that you are in fact a reseller (?).

Bottom line: supply and demand, people want the UC products, and UC wants to make money - the more they can "pump out" into the market the better; the dollar can blind the strictist of quality concerns.

11. CB Swords

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Technically I would think that replacement pieces should be marked differently so that you do not get charged import taxes again. I know that on custom forms you can indicate something is a replacement and so I guess I assume that indication would either lower the fee and or remove it.

I think those were put on at the Taiwan factory.

My UC rep said they had sent someone to Taiwan 3 times to try to fix the problem but to no avail. She then said they were looking to switch manufacturers for the staff. Now, I'm not sure what kind of situation UC has with their Taiwan factories, but from what I gather the factories are independent businesses UC has contracted with. So perhaps the people in Taiwan put the stickers on to try to keep UC's business, in a transparent attempt to appear to care.

Thats just a guess on my part though.

I'm also pretty sure I know what the problem is. With the haft made of wood that can expand and contract from humidity and the crown made a metal that sits still its no wonder the paint cracks at the juncture. They need to make the staff out of metal entirely, like Saruman's staff. Sure, its probably not as true to the movie, but Sauron's helm isn't fiberglass in the movie either. Sometimes you have to make sacrificies for the sake of mass production.

12. LOTR Fan

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    EEEK! Do not make the Gandalf staff out of metal - or at least not the out-of-balance mess that is the staff of Saruman!

13. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It was marked as a replacement, Canada Customs often charges it again and then you have to "apply" for a refund. A major PITA if you ask me.

ANd the point is not whether or not UC will take them back. I work in the automobile manufacturing field, and our customers don't care whether or not the car is under warranty. It's the inconvenience,

My vendor (KoA) treats me very well, and I am happy with his efforts to alleviate the problem, but it's still a hassle. I'm biting the bullet on this one, the crack on the second knife is "livable". Not the vendor's fault, I'm certain he would take it back if I asked, but I'll live with it.

As a side note, another thing that many dealers in the US do not realize that when they ship to Canada solely by UPS they severely limit their Canadian clientele bcause UPS charges a premium brokerage fee, as which can be upwards of $200 ON TOP OF duty and taxes. Most shipping companies, like US Post charge $10. My vendor ships by USPS.

Anyways, we are (or I am) wandering off topic.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  14. SirTristram

SirTristram New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    :D Ah...I have not visted here in a long time!
    It is so nice to see people express their opinions and not be censored!
    I've been getting nailed on the UC Forum...Strange place! I love it...This BB even has FU smilies!
    (Directed at nothing or no one....Just so happy to be able to say it!)
    :fuckyou: :321:

**Cough**Cough**

Ah....OK, back to normal....
    Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

15. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Umm... hey, I guess.

Anyway, does anyone know how long the Elven Warrior sword is? I need to plan on where I'm going to put it.

16. SirTristram

SirTristram New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You had to be there. :yak:
    ...anyway...

When i saw it (and got to sort of hold it,though it was semi bolted down) at the exhibit, it looked and felt about the same length as a traditional Katana...About 36" to 38".

17. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    36"? Shouldn't it be around 60"?

18. SirTristram

SirTristram New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

60"???????? 60"!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

No waaaaay!
    It is not a long sword! It is shorter and much faster than Narsil and Glamdring and that type!
    It really is most comparable to a Katana!

19. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    actually, it would probably be closer to a puado (unknown chinese weapon but very awesome.) The exact same styling and everything. Check it out. I believe I posted a pic in the Elven blade poll thread.
    Whoops...off topic again :)

20. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ****in' Weapons and Warfare book. They said it was a little over five feet.

However, I'm a little curious about who would pay $315 for a three foot sword.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
Search tags for this page

axe walking gimli

flail

gauntlet of sauron uc