New UC Products Update!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by noelchiew, Sep 3, 2004.

1. noelchiew

noelchiew New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    these updates are arriving sooner than expected! some of them we didnt really hear about has suddenly be announced by Ken Bates, UC Product Manager.

check out the new products' pics and prototype pics for upcoming products and what he has to say here. i think since it's quite a lot to post, i rather post a link for you guys to read and see yourself...

here you go - [link removed]

they look really beautiful, and the sauron's gauntlet will look darker than earlier pics have suggested.

enjoy!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2004
  2. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Art House Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    I love the pics of the museum collection sting. Im afraid I'll hafta buy it!! (That one coming out is the only thing stopping me from ordering the regular sting)

3. Sindarking01

Sindarking01 Lord Of the Grey Elves

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Im all for Faramir's helmet, thats my favorite.

4. Felagund

Felagund New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    where is Faramir's helm.All I see is the regular Gondorian Helm.

5. Kuja

Kuja New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    does anyone see Boromir's sword beside Sting? and what appears to be a cool looking plaque on the ground

6. noelchiew

noelchiew New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    the helm is a gondorian infantry helm and not faramir's helm. and the sword beside the museum sting is the boromir's sword and the plaque on the floor would be of boromir's. though not the whole plaque can be seen, it does seem to appear that it's a nice design.

7. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Since the link is taken out, here's what the update from UC said:

We at United Cutlery want to thank all of you for showing so much interest in our products. We are working very hard to bring you more high quality collectible products from movies and our own designers, like Kit.

I've got some updates I want to pass along to you, as well as sharing some photos of various prototype LOTR products. I know you've seen Sauron's gauntlet, but the other photos are new.

Check out the picture of some helmets we are working on. The picture shows, starting from the left, the 3rd Age Gondorian infantryman helmet. The helm is made of iron and has an adjustable leather lined interior. This helmet will be available late this year or early in 2005. The next helmet is one of my personal favourites, Isildur's helmet, and is also made from iron and brass, like King Elendil's helm. This has a leather lined interior, and should be available in the Spring of 2005. Both of these helmets will be limited editions of 5000 pieces. Obviously the next three helmets are the same, and they are the High Elven war helm so prominently featured in the prologue to The Fellowship of the ring. You can see three different colours, with the one in the middle being closest to the colour of the actual movie prop. Unfortunately, this product just could not be made of metal. It is fibreglass reinforced resin, with leather lined padding inside. This helmet should be available late in 2004.

The next picture shows a prototype of the High Elven Warrior shield next to the helm. The shield will also be made of fibreglass reinforced resin, with a genuine leather wrapped handle made of wood and metal. You can hang this shield on a wall with the wall mount and leather hanging strap that will come with it. Both the helm and shield will be limited editions of 5000 pieces.

Next is a shot of three of Gimlis axes, the battle axe, the walking axe, and the bearded axe. The battle axe will be available in mid October, while the walking axe should be available in late 2004, and the bearded axe available in the Spring of 2005. I've also included a shot of some of the various pieces of the walking axe prototype.

I've included a picture of Sauron's gauntlet, and as I mentioned earlier, the colour of the gauntlet will be darker than those posted previously. This is an awesome product, especially when paired with the glass domed display. The availability of the gauntlet will be late in November of this year.

This last photo shows the first in a series of what we are calling the "Museum Collection". Obviously it is Sting, but what makes this product so cool is that the blade is made from High Carbon Toledo spring steel, and the guard and pommel are plated in genuine silver. The piece has more of the distressed look found in the original movie prop. In addition, this piece comes in a solid wood display box, with a lock, and has special background art from the style guides from New Line Cinema. Availability for this product will be late this year.

You probably recognize the sword standing up next to the display box with the Sting sword in it as Boromir's sword. This happens to be our first prototype sword, and unfortunately, we need to do more work to it. We have to make better tooling for some of the parts so that it matches the actual movie prop better. This is such a cool sword, that we don't want to rush it to market without it being the best it could be. At this point, availability will be Spring 2005.

Gregory Bates
    Product Manager - United Cutlery Brands

8. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    And I was just beginning to think that the UC LOTR scene was getting a little quiet!

9. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    That all sounds awesome!!! Does anyone know where I could see the actual pictures described in the quotation?

Thanks

10. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    They have it over at the UC Forum... though I'm not quite sure if I can mention even the UC Forum here, otherwise I'd put a link to that tread over there, but I think I've seen links to the UC Forum removed.

11. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    here are the pics that go along with the updates.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  12. noelchiew

noelchiew New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    now that you mentioned it, just realised that the link i put up was removed. can anyone tell me why links to ucforums are not allowed here? what other rules are up for posting for links? cant seem to find any where in the forum here that can answer my question.

13. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

Links to UC forums are not allowed because of issues / arguments with sponsering, etc.
    all other links are allowed, including links to other retailers. BBB is no longer a sponser. The new sponser is Arms of Valar.

14. Yasmar

Yasmar New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I wonder what the guards and pommels will be made out of on the Museum Collection swords...
    Apparently the stainless LOTR swords' fittings are cast out of a zinc alloy, which is quite soft (wouldn't be able to take much bashing).
    Interesting that they don't mention what material the guards/pommels are made of. I hope they aren't still going to use the zinc alloy simply for its ease in casting. That would suck if the blades are "functional" but the fittings aren't.

15. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    This is good news. Probably would have preferred 5160 steel or swedish powdered steel to "mystery Toledo steel", but it is encouraging none the less. Too bad there is no information on whether the blade is hollow ground, full tang, etc..

16. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I've already dented my Anduril pommel while while walking into my room with it in hand and because of it's long hilt I knocked it on the door frame, but just lightly, and there was already a dent

17. Jessehk

Jessehk The introverted

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    So..... anyone planning to get Gimli's Axes? or the elven shield? how about Souron's Gountlet?

I know that I am hopefully getting the high elven helm to go with the elven warrior sword.

18. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    In this case, the removal of the link has more to do with "you should be posting the information here" and not referencing to another site.

We didn't really enforce it when TFF and UCForums were closely tied. If you notice no other fantasy sites are linked, this cuts down on dead links.

Sky

19. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Note to all: The Blades by Brown homepage has been updated and now includes these new pictures! I for one can't wait for these new items to be released...

20. noelchiew

noelchiew New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i see... the reason i did not post here was there was many infomation involved and i thought it would be more convenient that people could just see the pics and read it there. sorry i didn't know. so only mentioning of ucforums is not allowed all others are fine?

so bbb isnt closely affiliated with tff anymore? but it's still ok to talk about them huh.

Search tags for this page

axe walking gimli

flail

gauntlet of sauron uc