New to Swords and the Message Board!

Discussion in 'Fantasy Weapons and Armour' started by dramag125, Dec 9, 2003.

1. dramag125

dramag125 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    HI! I am new to sword collecting and the message board. I received my Uruk Hai Scimitar in the mail yesterday and liked it so much I decided to purchase the Ranger Sword as well. i have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Does anyone know why the false edge on the Scimitar is not rusted while the rest of the sword is?

2. Can anyone recommend any videos or books on sword techniques to me(I know this is a board mostly for displaying but I am interested in this also)?

Im excited to be a prt of the forum and cant wait to hear back from you guys.

2. j_ertl22

j_ertl22 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont know of any books, but I can tell you about the false edge. The Uruk Hai probly sharpened their swords before going into battle, exposing the non-rusted steal. The other parts of the blade would be left alone. As long as the blade was sharp for cutting down enemies in battle, they didn't care about anything else

3. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to the forums. The Uruk-Hai is not falsed edged it is sharpened carbon steel and also features a full tang. The edges are not rusted because it is applied after the blades is specialy treated to get the rust effect. If you would like ti to be rusted that is an easy thing to do, just apply some coca cola liberaly to the edge and leve it outside let it sit for a day or two. Mother nature will take care of the rest. After that just clen it up a bit with water and hang here up.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  4. Aramir

Aramir Ranger of the North

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    did you know an iron nail dropped in enough cola to cover it will be completely broken down in around 3 days, and thats the fact that made me stop drinking it :)

5. swordsman

swordsman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yep:

That is why I also expressed the fact that he neded to clean it off with water and dry it off to nulify the reaction then hang it up

6. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that is a myth thats untrue. here at my work i was curious about that myth so i took a 20 oz bottle of Dr. pepper (doubt it matters weather its dr. pepper or coke) i dumped a variety of nails in it and a week latter i checked it out, they were still there. i then put it in my drawer and forgot about for going on 2 years now. i just pulled it out and checked it, the nails are still there, although there is some signicant debre in the bottle.

7. Draven_of_the_Shire

Draven_of_the_Shire Defender of the West

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure it has to be coke... don't know why... but we did it as an experiment back in school once and it worked... we tried nails, pennies, etc.

8. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Hey, Welcome, If you would like to find info on techniques, books ect. go to The Fighters Guide House

9. Aramir

Aramir Ranger of the North

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yep i tried it and it worked too. coke brand cola is HIGHLY corrosive

10. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Did you know that a nail covered in stomache acids will dissovle a nail in even less time? That never made you want to stop digesting anything...;)

11. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol, amen. dr. pepper's too good to give up. i'll have to try it with coke. perhaps i grabbed nails that werent good for the expirement. once in Grade school i did i similar test but our teacher provided us with a bunch of teeth (dont know where she got them but i beleive they were dog teeth) and we dropped them in different sodas and after just a few days they were gone, especially the one in the coke.

12. DeVorm of Chaos

DeVorm of Chaos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am new around here and I wanted to converse with fellow allies. I am here to find out the answer to the ultimate question what is your favorite sword?

13. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0