New Secca OOC

Discussion in 'The Fields' started by I. R. Shogun, Jul 11, 2010.

1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    still... the sparky idea works, given a little thinking. remember that scene from the Sorcerer's apprentice, where they trick the big bad into standing in the center of a circle surrounded by poles, then had the poles turn into tesla coils and make beautiful music while frying the big bad at the same time?

deathmist construct + wiring from the wreakage and computers + a minor reality hack + boom and evaltan standing in a certain area = fried troll and elf, to go

2. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Good luck coordinating something like that given the time constraints of the situation and the fact that not many of the people on the ground floor like each other that much

3. Lord Yuan

Lord Yuan Death-Thousand+

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Ham wouldn't be awake if it wasn't for his adrenaline rage, he has a shot in the leg and now multiple scars and just wounds from the strain. Benito could fix him up quick but Ham alone is mostly a glass fist cannon. If Evaltan could be taken down Lantho is fairly safe except for Kiyoshi and Mystery Person attacking Kiyoshi. If Benito is brought down to Ham, Ham can be juiced up or anybody really can, and we can assume direct control.

Boom will either try to make an escape or just smash everything. Either way I would focus on incapacitating Evaltan just because he poses less a threat, and like any video game you should take out all the tiny guys so they don't chew you apart while the big guy is running at you.

4. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Evaltan is definitely the first one you should focus on taking down, cause Boom isn't likely to go down any time soon, although he may get out of there if you hurt him enough since Torgg is dead and such

5. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    crap post, especially following Cru's, but it did what it needed to do

6. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    illusions can be surprisingly difficult to detect, especially in a drugged-up state.
    stim packs are known to cause a very slight paranoia and affects the logic portions of the brain.
    the Twins already know all the secrets of unnerving any variety of creatures.
    Deathmist, when solid, has the property of being able to change color, and is nearly undetectable when it masquerades as another object.
    Orientation is most often based on sight and sound.
    The sane sentient mind and the insane sentient mind often are nearly identical except for a single neuron.
    Combine these characteristics.

Joker once said something very true.

"Madness is like gravity. All it takes is a little.... PUSH."

Incidentially, all this is quite believable. Deathmist's characteristics i already described to you, and the Twin's nature i already described to you. Stim packs you already described. Add in the fact that he's taking what seems to be waay overdose, as well as the fact that most drugs, legal or not, have potential mental side effects. And also the Twin's torture/assassination/intelligence background.

And as a testimony to the Twins:

F'bthnk n'ghft, f'lloig r'luh, f'ooboshu ph'nilgh'rior, shoggor wgah'n ya uln, stell'bsna syha'h y'hah

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  7. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Or you could just shoot at him till he gets hit or set a trap to immobilize him. Either way I think the Boom problem is going to last beyond this fight.

8. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    wonder what it would be like to teleport a weapon construct directly into boom's internal organs.

like, say, having a quickly rotating chainsaw appearing inside his stomach

9. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't spoil the fun with a quick broken fix, sometimes letting problems stay makes the story grow more interesting in the long run. After all this is the first mission for our characters, starting straight up teleporting chainsaws in people might lead to a broken streak of teleporting chainsaws into people to kill them.

10. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    i could try a "floor-opening-up" thing. or have whiz looking at the situation through Dice's eyes, and build a tesla coil out of pure deathmist and normal wires supplied from the nearest source by wrench and rift. Then create deathmist constructs to give the illusion of disorientation and slowly guide boom towards the center of the coil ring, having rift begin chargin at exactly the right time.

11. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Try to keep plans on how to kill characters as simple and as "lots of people can do it" as possible, because the more over the top they get, the more I'll nerf the hell out of them and make them fall apart.

Especially with Boom, since I've got plans for him.

Also, the chainsaw thing might work, but I'd probably make that not allowed too, since the whole "Teleport with my arm through you" thing always pisses me off. Matter fact I'd probably make it hurt the teleporter. And make the victim stronger. Some things there's not a simple or fair way to beat, some things you just have to run and gun and hope for the best.

Especially with Boom, since I've got plans for him.

Plus the very nature of the Twins makes them something I'm very likely to overturn powers from, because they and Whiz both have the potential to get OP fast if not carefully regulated. I think having a very low energy cap for them might be necessary.

Especially in dealing with Boom, for reasons I've already mentioned

Plus I reckon eventually Boom might come into conflict with Dynamite, who is probably a little smarter, and might want to become the number one again.

12. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I prefer to think what a character would do on the spur of the moment. Unless they are all jacks that have an Einstein portion they wouldn't be able to come up with plans that fast and then communicate them each other. But if I have Benito out of action for a long time it would make more sense for him to plan something as he isn't being shot at.

And also I think some of the best plans are ones that are acted by teamwork between other players, by stacking simple techniques to form a more complex attack.

13. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    well you realize at the moment most of the stuff with evaltan is psychological. he's so out of it on stim packs all i really have to do is scare him to death. which the twins know how to do quite well.

i mean, has he been touched? no, he's being attacked by visual and auditory hallucinations and maybe just a little bit of actual deathmist just for effect.

with boom, who isn't really prone to fright at all, we could just make him chase after something that isn't there and leave him in some alleyway or right in front of the jailhouse. say, make a construct of his most hated enemy or something. then let the SWAT teams incapacitate him.

the art of assassination is easier when everything that the sentient mind can sense comes to the brain through simple electronic signals in the spinal chord. mess up even a few of the senses, say, visual and auditory, and the mind can go crazy or do crazy things. there was this one time the twins just had a guy follow a construct of his daughter screaming for help, and didn't realize there shouldn't be a hallway extending out the way he was running until he was a little splatter of red on the ground a thousand feet below.

and there was the other time when a guy who knew about constructs tried to shield his mind, but problem was, the constructs are actually physical in the third dimension, coming from a fifty-dimensional body, so all his tinfoil hats did him no good and he ended up pulling the trigger of a raygun pointing the wrong way... police deemed it a suicide.

clone, morph and shroud techniques can be pretty powerful without being OP or unbelievable at all if used correctly. did i SAY the floor ACTUALLY opened? no, just that it seemed to, from the perspective of Evaltan. all illusions..

wow, crusader, those are awesome posts! wonder what in the world the father did to make bad people that angry about him.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  14. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Or illusion magic that Benito has just learned a little bit of. But I actually plan on using that on Ham. The thing about illusions it seems a bit OP to take somebody out with them only like just with fear. Unless it is out of battle to avoid a conflict or something. It would just be more easier blot out their vision for a little bit and then go in with normal attacks.

Vivid illusions that build false reality are setting the bar a bit high for the first fight. Mostly because I hope to let my characters grow over time and they won't be able to do anything if they need to bend reality every battle to stand a chance. Ben can heal flesh wounds, buff, weak illusions, and stimulate, while Ham hits things. Ghost isn't even for combat...

OR we could just try to disarm Evaltan, he is a pistoleer after all. No gun and all he can do is run, then you can kick in the illusions and send him packing to jail.

Also I can't wait till Crusaders stuff spills over everything else. It is getting cool.

15. RayCaptain

RayCaptain 如朱

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    is this REALLY still going?

16. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Glad people like where the posts are going, got some nice story arcs starting to pan out, I've decided to make the two detectives full time characters too.

Will be interesting when dynamite et al start spilling over into everyone else's business, should provide some interesting results, I'm prety sure its too late to jump into the current fight, but I'm sure there will be more to come.

As to the discussion on whats going on in the other fight, I dont think the power level is what matters as much as how its used, at the end of the day a story is nothing without drama and tension, if you have an instantaneous solution to a problem is deprives the situation of a sense of resolution in the end, no challenge devoids the achievement. Even with great ideas its a good idea to ration them carefully to get the most out of the situation rather and expediting it. Its even worse in a collaborative effort because then it becomes an over the top game of oneupsmanship before too long. a good rule of thumb is always leave room for things to go wrong.

17. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    well if anybody here ever read or watched naruto, there's a type of technique called genjutsu, or illusionary techniques, that could be used for half a penny by just about any high-level ninja... which all the ninjas in there are. every time it's been used, there always existed a way out, and all you had to do was look for it. if you didn't bother, sucks to be you, but if you did, there was some really interesting genjutsu battles.

one scene involved a character under an illusion technique trying to figure out which was real and which was false, while at the same time trying to cast the same illusion on the opponent. an outside observer states that throughout the entire battle, the two opponents seemed just to be standing there, not doing anything.

the entire battlefield was inside the mind. everytime you thought you had killed your opponent, it was just an illusion. everytime you heard mother calling you for breakfast and to please wake up soon, it was a trick to catch you off guard. by having the wit to first recognize that you were under genjutsu, and to respond in ways such as pinching yourself, thinking of a traumatic memory, or using sheer willpower, the victim could not only throw off the technique but reflect the effects back on the caster, giving them free range to counterattack.

so in my opinion, illusionary techniques aren't op at all. all it takes is a type of skill and wit that most street-hardened criminals aren't used to at all. now, if all you've ever run into throughout your entire life was beat-down-drag-out fighting styles, and you've never had to puzzle your way out of a situation, you might call it cheating. just like a person who's never actually tried fighting outside the dojo would call somebody throwing dust in their eyes a cheater. but if the opponent had encountered illusions before, and knows how to distinguish between a decoy and a target, the illusions just become another weapon, tool and obstacle to overcome.

it can be tricky, trying to use illusionary techniques, especially when the expected method of fighting is physical. but when done correctly, it can lead to an interesting battle of wills and imaginations.

it'll be interesting to see if Evaltan has the wit, imagination, and willpower to overcome the iillusions brought on by the deathmist. if he can keep his heart from exploding.

18. I. R. Shogun

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I think more than anything the range is my issue, since it seems that one of the twins is sitting with Whiz in limbo and the other is still upstairs. We're not getting into a serious argument over the power of it right now since Evaltan IS amped up on super stimulants right now and would be more prone to suggestion and illusion than any regular person.

With Boom on the other hand you're making things even more dangerous if you confront him with an illusion, confusing him is just going to piss him off more.

Regardless, given the circumstances it's not that big an issue, since Evaltan is the main target at this second, and Boom will be the final boss of this act once Evaltan drops.

19. Lord Yuan

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Just as a side note I'm trying to distract Boom with Ham (these names are great btw) so you can focus on Evaltan WM and if I can get Benito down with Lantho then I plan on taking Ham out of the fight. Lantho and Benito still have weak magic armor over their vitals too from before when I weakened it to make the window barriers and illusion window stuff.

Vash is still taking cover and shooting at Boom too right?

20. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    i can try excreting a deathmist armor for you, courtesy slice, since it's not taking too much energy creating illusions downstairs. The clone army's also not taking much to control since it's just standing there. I actually probably excreted just a little too much over there, they'd be of better use in the form of a larger and faster construct, now that i think of it.