New movie trilogy

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Midnattblod, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    so as far as I'm aware, the first of the new trilogy of movies is supposed to be later this year. anyone excited to see them? Do you feel like it should be a trilogy, or would one or two movies suffice? discuss below :D

2. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Which trilogy are you talking about?

3. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them.

4. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I must be the weird one of the bunch, but I have never heard of that.

I am ok with trilogies as long as they are advertised as such and have plot enough for being trilogies. Sometimes they try to sell you a story that could have fit one or two films as a trilogy, and that sucks.

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    It's not getting the huge media outburst that the HP movies had even though its the same author and set in the same world. I almost think that JK might become the new Steven King in that she will end up making a lot for the film and TV screens (which is no bad thing).

It will be interesting to see how this new series goes; shifting it to America is bound to capture their market instantly whilst for the UK it feel a little sad that she's jumping there of all places to explore (there's more than the USA in the world ;)). That said hopefully its a solid film and it will be good to see how other nations and their witches and wizards handle things; not just the Ministry of Magic in the UK.

Indeed jumping countries is a very effective way to continue without having to dance around old characters from the first series of films. Indeed the original HP films never left the UK barring a few little bits here and there.

6. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    that brings up another thing OR, should there be more movies and/or books that maybe take place in other parts of the world, say someplace like Japan or something, or should she stick to UK, EU, and US?

7. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    She should stick to settings she knows, or settings she can propperly understand via docummentation. Like any other writer...

An advangate of fantasy is that you can force the boundaries a bit, but if you have components of the real world in your stories, it can get tricky.

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    The biggest problem she has is dilution of the hiding. It's a common problem with stories like HP in that it starts out in the normal world where everything is normal and then things change for the lead character. What happens then is that suddenly the world itself gets more and more magical and before you know it; without anything changing to the world; the world setting has changed. Suddenly every other person is a mage or beasty of some sort and there's no room left for the "normal" side of things.

I think it happens because a big part of the early story is always the revelation of the fantasy elements; thereafter that doesn't have to be revisited again. You can see it in the films greatly as how the periods with Harry at home in the muggle world gets shorter and shorter until its hardly there past a quick mention now and then.

Of course this new series has the bonus that its not taking the lead character away to school to isolate them from the muggle world; indeed it would seem to be exploring the very concept of muggles and wizards suddenly interacting again through accident (if we assume the beasties from the case escape into the muggling world)

9. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I think the fact you describe is also part of the reason why some stories that were awesome don't have awesome sequels. Some films or books are great because they have an interesting foundation to show... once the core idea has been shown in the first film or book, the sequel cannot capitalize on it because it is not new anymore. The sequel must be good because of its plot alone and that is just harder to do.

I personally think HP didn't do well with this process. But I also think poor Harry had other negative factors that helped taking him down in the end.

10. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    HP had up and down books for me. some I liked, others I could live without.

and OR, I am kinda interested to see how the interactions between Muggle and Wizard world go if it's there at all in these movies. I haven't seen anything since it was announced but who knows exactly what direction they take it.

11. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Richard - agreed. Sometimes you can only drop a story/theme bomb once per few generations. Take Starwars as a prime example. Whilst one could remake and improve on the original 3 films they will not recapture the moment of Luke discovering who is father is again for a very long time; even if new generations come along its such a commonly known thing that were a remake to come out everyone would be talking about it.

Now of course you can remake the same story structure in a different wrapper and repeat it;

12. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    like different perspectives?

13. Richard Falken

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    My Aquelarre RPG manual says that there is a somehow finite supply of stories, but an infinite way of telling them.

An evil dragon has captured a pricess. A knight has to go, defeat the dragon and save her. Very basic stuff we have all already seen, right?

Now imagine that the dragon is called Darth Vader, the princess is Leia and the knight is called Luke Skywalker. You will realize that the dragon story is actually the foundation of a big part of the first Star Wars Film.

I think that this is a broad oversimplification, but it shows that you can reuse old concepts as long as you are able to make them interesting. Which I think is what Overread was after.

14. Overread

Ratings:
    +648 / 3 / -1
    Indeed - it an apt example because Starwars itself is based upon a fantasy story.

Romeo and Juliet is the basis for a huge number of love stories.

The key is that you can take the core elements of a story and change around names, places, characters. You can even shift elements around and combine them with other stories to change the end result.

Indeed with the vast body of written material even a totally original idea might well be similar to another. You get this in generation patterns too; people of similar generations in the same country will share similar influences on their lives and thus can come to similar creative end results.

I think the key is to realise that this isn't a bad thing, its a good thing. Because whilst "every story" might be told from some boiled down, stripped out and totally lifeless viewpoint that isn't all we read stories for. It's why characters are key in a story- a story is not just a log of events; its characters and personalities. It's struggle, emotion and more

15. Midnattblod

Ratings:
    +795 / 4 / -1
    blood sweat and tears :D