New info on Extended Version and Theatrical Release!

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Anduril, Jan 28, 2004.

1. aini

aini Elenya

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Theatrical DVD release : 25th May in the US AND the UK!!!!!!!!!!

Extended edition to be out for the holiday season (?) - according to the BBC website (sorry US people) the EE will be "considerably longer" than the theatrical version. We Brits are great at being vague!

2. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here's some comforting news for u all: the official release of RotK will be May 25th !!! :)

3. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Rumors are out of a LOTR Trilogy High Definition Box Set to be released at some point. There goes my next available $2000 for an HD TV.

4. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    whaat exactly is highh defenition?

-dt

5. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    It depends, normal TV is something like 400 dpi (thats dots per inch). HD TV depending on the model and signal can go up to 1024 dpi or higher. Different types of Hd screens can make a difference as well, Rear Projection is the oldest and a little fuzzy sometimes, Plasma is better and more expensive, and LCD screens are very good and very expensive. If you want to know more search google, you will more information than you ever needed.

6. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks.

-dt

P>S>mmmmmmmmmmmm LOTR on big screen......

7. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    A slight correction, kartaron, when talking about television resolution, it is described in scan lines, not dpi (because of how a CRT works, which projects images onto the screen by scanning lines). dpi, as far as I can tell, only relates to inkjet printers (how many dots of ink can a printer spray on a 1sq inch area of the paper).

American's NTSC system has 525 scan lines, with 480 actually visible. Of course pixel is also used to describe resolutions of TV monitors. But generally, the main measurement is discussed in scan lines, because in part of how the sorce materials work, even in this day of plasma and LCD screens.

HDTV, depending on which country you're in and which system you're using, has varying scan line numbers, just like PAL and NTSC, but are generally over a thousand lines horizontally. DVDs' current resolution, if I remember correctly, is around 500... I think.

8. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    yeah I didnt want to get into how pixels work and all that, good explanation though

9. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    La Muerte de Saruman means the Death of Saruman, as you can all guess.

I'm hoping for more development of the Paths of the Dead. That seemed very rushed to me.

10. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    New Line confirmed these

the story of Faramir is shown in greater detail. There are returning characters and new characters, such as Saruman after the flooding of Isengard and the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate. Much of the new footage contains extra dialogue and action to further elaborate on each character’s personal journey.

11. Sindarking01

Sindarking01 Lord Of the Grey Elves

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't know think anybody has asked this yet, but what about the Grey Company? They went into the Paths of The Dead with the trio, what happened to them?

12. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    As far as I'm concerned, they were cut to help simplify the movie for the general audience, like Glorfindel and the Sons of Elrond.

13. Sindarking01

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah but they were important to aragorn's character development.

14. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    True, but they never even filmed that part. :(

15. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Aragorn's character get a lot more development and attention in the books than the films, but then again, they could only film so much with the films... plus they needed to put in that love element between Aragorn and Arwen to please the studio and the general movie goers...

16. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I wish they had filmed the part when Aragorn arrives in the Corsairs ships, and he unfurls his King of Gondor banner that Arwen made for him, it sounded so cool in the book... but then Elron's sons didn't go with him, nor did the Northern rangers, so I guess that's not going to happen...

17. Sindarking01

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it sucks, but what can you do.

18. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    News about the EE DVD set! Looks like the Extended Edition won't be out until the end of the year... because PJ was going around during the awards season and didn't have time to finish the cut. They will indeed have the Mouth of Sauron scene, as well as the death of Saruman... this version should be more than 4 hours long and it'll be another sculpture from Weta in the giftbox, and... they are indeed talking about the trilogy über DVD set...! But that won't happen until at least 2006... but I'm excited!

This is copied from today's TheOneRing.net:

Exclusive TORN Interview with Matt Lasorsa, New Line Home Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Marketing

Since the announcement of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King’s May 25 DVD release date, fans have been speculating about details of the content, the packaging and when the Special Extended Edition will hit shelves. Matt Lasorsa, New Line Home Entertainment’s senior vice president of marketing, offers some insight into the much anticipated home video release in an informative Q&A.

Q: Why May?

A: There is no reason to wait this year. The DVD release dates of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers were dependent on completing the 10-minute look at the next film, which made it impossible to release before August. Without another film to preview, we can release it much earlier.

Q: We’ve heard rumors of a slipcase that will hold all 3 DVDs. How can we get it?

A: We have created a “3-pack” with the theatrical version DVDs of The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers and The Return of the King – packaged in a slipcase – but the slipcase itself is not sold separately. The “3-pack” does not have any new or exclusive content and will be available at retail stores nationwide.

Q: What extras are on the DVD?

A: Like the last two The Lord of the Rings DVDs, The Return of the King film will be presented on one disc with the highest picture and sound quality possible. In addition to the movie disc, a second disc will include many behind-the-scenes specials, featurettes from lordoftherings.net, TV spots and trailers that debuted during the theatrical release of the film. Also, there will be a preview of the next Electronic Arts video game.

Q: Why isn’t there a preview for the Special Extended Edition?

A: There simply wasn’t enough time to complete it for the May release, and we didn’t believe it would be beneficial to postpone the release date.

Q: When is the Special Extended Edition coming out?

A: It is scheduled to release just before Christmas 2004.

Q: Why isn’t the Special Extended Edition hitting stores earlier, since the theatrical DVD is releasing sooner?

A: Logically, it would seem that it could be done sooner, especially without another Lord of the Rings film to finish; however, that hasn’t been the case. Peter Jackson was quite busy with many commitments during the awards season. Since he was away from New Zealand, he could not cut an extended version of the film. Traditionally, after he cuts the film, there are months and months of work to do to complete the cut – including Howard Shore’s additional score and Weta Digital’s new special effects.

For the special features, many of the interviews with the cast and crew were completed during pickups for the next film, as everyone was in the same place (New Zealand). Now that all filming is complete, everyone is scattered across the world – making it more difficult to get the interviews to create bonus materials.

It would have been ideal to release it sooner, but we didn’t want to compromise the quality of the DVD to get the product in stores earlier.

Q: How long is the Extended version of The Return of the King?

A: It looks like the running time will be over four hours long.

Q: What additional scenes were added?

A: Like The Two Towers extended version, the story of Faramir is shown in greater detail. There are returning characters and new characters, such as Saruman after the flooding of Isengard and the Mouth of Sauron at the Black Gate. Much of the new footage contains extra dialogue and action to further elaborate on each character’s personal journey.

Q: Will there be a Gift Set this year, and what will be included?

A: Yes, a gift set is in the works, and the content of it is still taking shape. We do believe that the fans will be pleased with the Sideshow Weta sculpture – the artists at Weta have really outdone themselves. Look for us to reveal it in July.

Q: Will there be a money-back offer – similar to years past – if you buy both DVDs?

A: Yes. We will be extending the same mail-in rebate offer as we have for The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers – fans who choose to buy both the Theatrical DVD in May and the Extended DVD later this year can receive $5 back by mail (or $10 if they buy the Gift Set). We aren’t requiring cash register receipts for the theatrical DVD, but proofs-of-purchase and receipts for the Special Extended Edition will be required.

Q: Finally, there are many rumors about a mega-special edition “Trilogy Box.” Is there any truth to the rumor?

A: It is certainly something that we talk about creating in the future, but right now we are just concentrating on releasing The Return of the King Theatrical DVD and Extended DVD versions this year. If we do release a “Trilogy Box,” it is at least 2 years away – 2006 or beyond. We would want to have Peter Jackson’s participation, and he will be busy with other projects for at least a year or more. We also would want to make it really special, with never-before-seen content, and, until The Return of the King extended DVD is finished, we won’t be in a position to evaluate what materials are still available.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2004
  19. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Bummer. I wanted my extended version earlier.

Oh well. But as to characters like Glorfindel, if they had them in there, this is what would happen to people who saw the movie and had not read the books.

"Why did they bring Legulas instead of Glorfindel?"
    "I dunno. Glorfindel was much cooler."
    "I mean, he just stayed there in Rivendell when they needed him on the fellowship."
    "Yeah. I mean, they could have taken both of them!"

20. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Christmas?!?! Argh, I can't wait that long!!