New films

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Anakin, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    i thought it would be interesting to talk about new films. It’s also something to talk about that might keep the forum a bit more alive. I don’t see movies as much as I used to, but I do intend to go and watch two films this week, such as Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. This one looks to be better than the last. My issue with the first one was the idea of a genetically created dinosaur. Yes they’re all genetically created, but they weren’t some big cocktail like the Indominus Rex. My point is that if you’re going to make a dinosaur film. Don’t throw in some cocktailed dinosaur, because then it just becomes a random monster movie. It was also a bit of a rehash from the first film as well. Don’t get me wrong I still liked it. But the sequel looks more interesting, a bit more creepy. This dinosaur is more intelligent, is smaller so can walk inside homes. It’s a deadly silent one. Almost reminds me more in its ways to the xenomorph from the Alien franchise.

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    I've not seen the new JP film - I want too but I've built up a dislike of cinemas (that and the 2 hours round trip just to get to and from the cinema is a pain...). I'm sure its just one of those "phases that pass" things, but I'm not rushing out to see films.
    That said this is one I do really want to see. I think the first of the newer JP films and this one are clearly setting JP up for a bigger legacy and pulling things off the isolated island is a big step. I think they are gearing it right into a powerful much more sci-fi style film with things like genetic alteration.
    Considering that there just isn't another dinosaur franchise out there with anything like as much budget or power I like this. I also like the homage to a lot of older dinosaur films - that of a volcanic eruption (such things featured often in a lot of classic dinosaur films).

I can also hold out hope that if JP keeps going this way we might one day get a film with dinosaurs with laserbeams on their heads!

3. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    I’m looking forward to other films like the Incredibles II. Pixar films have always had a pretty high standard and are often innovative. Now that doesn’t seem the case with this film. They said that it was very good, but it’s pretty much the same and that the villain is underwhelming. Now I’m still looking forward to this. The first film might be one of my favourite Pixar films, up there with Wall-E.

4. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +797 / 4 / -0
    I’ve never been a fan of the JP world for some reason, so I won’t be watching it.:oops:

I’m not very good at keeping up with movies that come out. I mean, I’ll watch something I’d been interested in a long while (like when they made The Hobbit trilogy and I loved LOTR too much to miss it or when they did that Wow-based movie). But I’m more like the type who likes to watch older movies, so to speak. I do watch a lot of silly romantic-comedies though, they make me laugh and give me a good mood, so I might search for new title once a few moons. But I don’t keep an eye on them, tbh, the new stuff...

What I usually keep an eye on besides anime(Japanese) are... animations. Animated movies. Those I like to watch, new as they are. The rest is rather random for me, I choose to watch something I’m in the mood for and I don’t go to the cinema too often so there’s that too:oops:.

5. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    The first Jurassic Park film is universally considered to be a great film. The second film, while I love it, got people with mixed feelings. It’s like it’s an Indiana Jones and the Temple Of Doom film. There’s a lot of people so thought that film wasn’t good or as good as the other two in the first trilogy. Personally I love that film as well. I think it might have been my favourite as a kid, while Raiders of the Last Ark probably is my favourite now.

Anyway back on Jurassic Park. So yeah same with Temple of Doom Jurassic Park : The Lost World is by a lot of people considered not as good or even bad. The third film wasn’t great, bordering on bad with more inaccuracies than the previous two. It felt like a rehash of the first film a bit. Jurassic World was a fine movie, but filled with nostalgia and a bit of fan service. Plus you have a new dinosaur made like a cocktail of Dino DNA, which almost makes it feel like a monster movie, rather than a Dinosaur movie.

So yeah, my recommendation, go see at least the first one.

I’ve seen older films, like from the 30’s. King Kong for example. And there’s a lot of good films among them that are just classics. I like a lot of Romantic Comedies, but these days they aren’t good anymore imo. My favourite that comes to mind is I think Much ado about nothing. Comedy films in general have really gone downhill . Last good romantic comedy was probably Crazy, stupid love.

I saw the Warcraft film. It was a decent film, could have been better. The Orcs looked a bit cartoonish, but faithful to the game. I even got a digital copy on Flixster. Seems they’re not going to make a sequel though, despite the open ending.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    I thought maybe going to see the new JP might be kinda fun but I've not heard the best reviews from people. The last one was pretty crap but entertaining enough. Mind you, we never saw it in the cinema... I might've felt differently then. So I doubt I'll be racing to see the new one.

The new Incredibles... we'll see. It's been a while, I loved the first one but they certainly took their time with the sequel. Hopefully that's a good thing.

7. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Royal Wolf of Shadow

Ratings:
    +786 / 4 / -1
    I'm still waiting for the Metro 2033 movie :(

Aside from that, I do intend to see the new JP movie, um, and of course the second part of fantastic beasts and where to find them should be good, (I do believe that is this year)

8. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    I’m no fan of superhero movies. There’s just too many of them, however I do appreciate them more than Star Wars films these days (Disney’s Star Wars). I was thinking of two upcoming superhero films. One I do am genuinely intrigued about and one I might see on Netflix when it comes out. I’m talking of the Venom film and Antman and the Wasp. I really like the Spider-verse and really like Venom as a character. What they did to him in Spider-Man 3 was a real shame, a wasted opportunity. Concerning the Antman sequel. Well I thought the first film was pretty entertaining and funny sometimes. Of course there are spoilers in these trailers.

9. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    There were three new trailers that got me... interested. Aquaman, Shazam and Alita: Battle Angel. Yeah, you know I’m not big on superhero films, so the first two were a letdown to me. I hope others will enjoy it though. I’m a big Jason Momoa fan though, so likely I will see Aquaman. I doubt I’ll see Shazam. I will see Alita: Battle Angel. It’s a bit of a letdown you don’t see her combat outfit in the trailer, but I’ve seen it in clips and it looks great. Lots of fans are complaining about the eyes, but I don’t mind them. So here are the trailers.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  10. Overread

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    The eyes still look wrong for me, but I will see it and chances are once you're part way through your brain will probably gloss over the eye detail part (esp as its only her character who has the issue as far as I'm aware).

11. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,117 / 3 / -0
    Here’s the second trailer. This one does show her battle outfit. Looks cool. And yes one thing concerning her eyes is that it makes her look like a doll and I remember one of the lines of the anime “I’m not your doll!”. So it seems like she was made to look cute on purpose. The makers said two other things concerning the eyes. One they wanted a character to look realistically look like an anime character. I guess they didn’t really succeed there. Two, they said the saying ‘the eyes are the window to the soul’, so with her bigger eyes, it’s like you can see deeper into her soul.

12. Overread

Ratings:
    +645 / 3 / -1
    Yeah sometimes a medium works better for some things than others - its one thing to have anime eyes in an anime; but in reality they just look freakish somewhat! Still hope its at least a good romp through the opening story for her.

ALSO this trailer appeared

Later than billed sadly but finally we have what should be a fixed release date! (plus we can totally now beat those strange Flat-Earthers with HOLLOW EARTH!

Also fun tid-bit in the second part of this trailer the voice reader is - YURI - from Red Alert 2!