New chimney sweep

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Overread, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    So the other day I heard a hooting sound from the Dinning room - had a look about but couldn't see anything, so I naturally assumed it was a bird outside making a noise very close to the wall.

Few days later and my sister hears the same sound - then after a few hours convinced she was mad we had a further look and, in the flue pipe above the stove (that we have hardly ever used in that room) we found, trapped above the half-pipe cutoff - a full/near full grown tawny.

a while later and with one hand protected by the mighty yellow washing-up-glove and my dad manages to get its legs and tug it out to freedom (a tricky thing indeed).

[​IMG]

Despite being up there for a few days and also in a rather tight spot to pull out he came out without any injury.

[​IMG]

Taken outside into the pitch black darkness of night and he flew off strong and quick. Later we heard a cacophony of hoots from the garden - likely the other resident owls spotted this ones return!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    Hooray for saving it (and taking some great photos while/after doing so)! The poor thing, I'm glad you got it out, and unhurt!

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    What a beautiful creature!
    Glad you could save her... however the field mice in your neck of the woods were probably hoping for a more grim outcome.:)

I had a similar problem the first week in this house. I was upstairs while my girlfriend at the time was watching tv and she sprints up the stairs and says there's a raccoon in the chimney! It turned out to be two mockingbirds. They were fluttering around like mad and taking turns plopping down to the fireplace and flying back up again. I got a large trash bag and opened it at the mouth of the fireplace and when they both ran out of energy I scooped them up, and back outside they went.
    I'm really glad it wasn't a raccoon.

4. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Well that was certainly a surprise! I'm sure that owl was immensely relieved to be out of there. It really is a gorgeous bird. Thanks for posting those photos. :)

I dunno what it is with flying critters and chimneys/stovepipes. We've had a few birds and bats fall into our woodstove too, never while it was going, thankfully. Fortunately none of them ever got stuck like your owl did. We usually hear them making noise in the stove and inevitably they fly out when we open the door to investigate. The bats are pretty sensible and are pretty easy to shoo outdoors but the birds are awful. They panic and fly into walls, windows, people, etc. If I'm lucky I can throw a towel over them before they hurt themselves and carry them out that way.

5. Midnattblod

Midnattblod Ranger of Shadow

Ratings:
    +528 / 3 / -0
    ah the mental image of a bird flying into people, priceless

6. CheshireGrin

CheshireGrin Active Member

Ratings:
    +412 / 1 / -0
    Awww, what a beauty! I'm so happy she was unhurt and that you were able to free her. :)