Need some help

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Heylan, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Heylan

Heylan Wizard of Words

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Well, actually I didn't quite know where to put this post, so I put it here and hope it is suited in this thread.

See, I have a problem with my "Wizards" world that I hope you can help me with.
    I put myself on the edge, so to speak, when I asked for a wider storyline. I couldn't let it be "normal" to be a wizard, or else the story would be too predictable.

In their world, it is forbidden to have any magical powers (like when they used to burn witches in old folklores) It has happened in this world that they behead a person if they find out that they have magical powers.

So my problem is - why do they still teach the young wizards to use their powers when they wont be able to use it later on in life?

I would appreciate a lot if you could give me any tip about how to solve this problem.
    Or change it, in fact, I'd appreciate any ideas you might have reading my above mentioned statement.

/Heylan

2. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    What if the wizards are part of a kind of 'cult' or 'religion' -who don't believe that the use of magic is wrong? While most others do, so the use of magic could be 'debatable' and controversial. That way you could avoid the general good/bad sides...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Heylan

Heylan Wizard of Words

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Good idea.... I haven't thought about that ^^

• Like Like x 1
  4. Soetimus

Soetimus New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    yeah the obvious solution would be for the 'wizards' to have some kind of secret community. To intensify the storyline then you could divide the 'non-magical' population up in two factions too: The 'government' who is afraid of the 'wizards' because these posses more power than them and the ordeal folk who sometimes make use of the 'wizards' magics if it is needed. or vice versa: the government could be using the powers of the wizards thus leading to a revolution among the common people :)

5. Árëlin Milloway

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0

That idea, though, has already been done, in the Bartimaeus Trilogy. The government uses magic which causes a revolution among the commoners...

6. Soetimus

Soetimus New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah sort of there I got the inspiration actually. It is a rip of but with a little twist it might work :) anyway you can always stick to the original plot: the commoners use the aid of the wizards and the government doesnt like it.

7. Árëlin Milloway

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    To be honest I'm not a big fan of recycling ideas from other books if it's possible, but then I've never written anything even close to being published. ;)

Yes, as Heylan's idea was that magic is forbidden, having a government of wizards might not completely fit in, unless they were undercover wizards or something. :D.

But then again it depends whether or not there is a government; if it's set in a good old mediaeval setting, there could be a monarch, who could be for or against the use of magic. (Random plot idea: member of royal family betrayed/betrays/killed due to/by magic, monarch forbids it?)