Need some help, guys

Discussion in 'The Scribe's House' started by Prince_Kheldar, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I'm writing a book. Yes, for real. It's a fantasy novel, and it's gonna be a Christmas present for my mom and dad next Christmas. Which means I have a year to write it!

But the thing is, I need some help to come up with names. Whenever I try and find some fitting names for my characters, it just sounds silly in my head! Sooo... please, please post some suggestions! Male and female names, oh and I need a real cool name for a dragon, too.

Gotta have dragons in a fantasy novel!

2. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Oh Oh.... bring this discussion down to the scribe`s house PK!!!! There`s all kinds of stuff down there already about naming. Also: need more info to help you out! Who are your characters, what do they do, where do they live, culture surrounding them etc etc etc....
    It would be pointless to name some dainty elf Grog...lol

3. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Haha, yes I quite understand that! Well, the one really bugging me right now, is my wizard. What's a good wizard name!? Then I'll need a couple of common kings, as well as an ice elf king. And the dragon^^

4. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Jürgen, Peter, Lukas, Ephraim, Harold, Jamie, Jens, Noah, Lars, Patrick/Patrique, James, Jared, Friedrich (lol), Manuel, Andreas, Michael, Tobias, Thorben, Ludger, Oskar, Kalle, Karl, Christoph(er), Joseph, Hans, Gustav, Franz...

Ammelie, Johanna, Clara, Josephine, Svenja, Ella, Alyssa, Lisa, Elisabeth, Sarah, Monica/Monique, Helen/Helena, Danielle, Andrea, Michaela, Isabelle, Christine, Jana, Adrienne, Loraine, Pippi Langstrumpf.

I usually use common names and change them up a bit.

5. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, those are mostly typical Norwegian names which I don't feel goes well with my fantasy world, and then there are the English/french sounding names, which doesn't work because it's written in Norwegian. This is hard...

But I'll definitvely use Thorben! I think I'll name my wizard that. Thanks^^

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    *moving to scribes house*

PK are you using a specific background mythology/country/influence for your world? If you are you might well find the names that fit within that area of research. Even if the connection to the based in the real world is small it can help - it also means that you'll get a selection of names which "fit" together with the people and each other. Sometimes if you go to random name generators or random names you end up with names that sound odd because they don't all quite fit together in the world because of the different sources.

7. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I know. And yes, in a way. My fantasy world has different mythological influenses according to the part of the world. Perhaps not very original, but you know, norse mythology in the north, greek-ish in the south. And so on.

One of the main characters is an ice elf from the north, and she is named Rhin. The idea is that the ice elves and the norsemen, whome look like vikings (for my own delight~) live up there. Then I have a wizard called Thorben, from runnings suggestion. I don't know where he is from, though.

I'm making an island with its own people, and I'm wondering what style I should go with there. Any suggestions on that?

8. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Tell us a bit more about the island, PK. Any inspiration as to what keeps them busy during the day? And what might keep them awake at night? There's all sorts of directions you could take this in. Lots of inspiration!.... and so little information to go on so far :(

9. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Don't wanna tell you everything, Tur! You might steal my plot ;) Besides, this is a fairly fresh idea, haven't got everything set yet.

The islanders will be fishermen, and I'm thinking they are gonna be overly religious. I thought I'd make my whole fantasy world have a lax relationship to gods, so that way the islanders will be a little different from the rest. Also, people don't often go to the island, and islanders refrain from going to the rest of the world.

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Who were the islanders before they became islanders? Even if its going back 100s or 1000s of years their roots (were they pilgrims - exiles - explorers etc...) that might give you a source for where they started and thus what influences might affect them - as well as factoring in trade and social interactions (are your people very closed circle or are they very multicultural)

11. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That's a good point, I guess. I haven't really thought of how they ended up on that island yet, all I know is that they've been there for ages, and don't like outsiders. Whereas trade and stuff; since they live on that remote island, they won't deal with merchandise from the mainland, and they also have a different currency than the rest of the world. They live on fish and what they can grow. They have smiths and seamstresses etc.

I have the feeling they are highly conservative.

12. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Ideas:
    choose a foreign country. look at a very detailed map and just find random names of things that sound good
    go onto wikipedia and keep clicking on random articles and trying to find good names in some of the articles
    look up latin words and use some that sound like names

i mean these are just examples but try to go out there and find names from things that already exist. i don't know, that's generally what i do. and also steal names from people's nicknames on tff ^^ i've done that before

13. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    That.

And there's bound to be a princess named Kheldana?

14. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    That is a good tip.
    LOL! Not sure, maybe she'll be called Turumbana instead? :D

15. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +330 / 1 / -0
    how advanced are people conpared with elves?
    ie: are humans new to the world and competing against the golden age of elves?

16. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Fun fact - many authors actually pick real world places and then turn the map upside down - they'll also mess with the scales to make things bigger or smaller. You'd be amazed how these small changes can give them a suddenly "alien" world to work from which already has connections that they can build up from real world contexts (heck Robin Hobb has admitted that parts of her Liveship Traders map area is a reversed area of real world maps - I forget where though).

17. Prince_Kheldar

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that will be mentioned. To me, they were all created at the same time.

Good to know, OR!

18. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    The dragon still needs a name but again, we need more info: male or female? "Evil", "Good" or neutral? Standard fire-breather or something more exotic like an ice dragon? Intelligent and wise or animalistic? Old? Young? Allied with or sympathetic to anyone else?