Need Mass help

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Trelos77, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Trelos77

Trelos77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Growing up I was grounded.....A LOT..... when grounded, the only thing I was allowed to do was read, and I did it a lot. Now it leaves me with an insatiable appetite for books. I read my fathers entire library, and I currently hold a library card for my town (and the 3 bordering towns).

I went through everything Koontz has wrote over the years, most of King's work, a lot of Cussler's, a lot of Patterson, and many many many other authors.

I recently read everything John Sandford has written to date in about a week, and the first 8 books of The Ranger's Apprentice in 2 days (book 9 in the mail)

I need more... I need help.

The greatest thing I have read to date was David Eddings Belgariad series. While the Eragon and Ranger's Apprentice series' have made me smile cause they are almost straight ripoffs with a new spin, I want more. Ranger's apprentice was wrote for children, and it reads that way. Eragon was written like like the kid watched Star Wars, read the Belgariad, then wrote his books. Even some of his character names are copied straight from Eddings (IE Brand)

Can anyone recommend some nice long series that runs medieval fantasy, magic, yada, yada. I would greatly appreciate it. Something to a slightly older audience than Ranger's Apprentice would be nice too.

2. rosa

rosa New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi, i think is great you have readead a lot, but im not sure my recomendations may help or not.
    the first thing that comes into my mind is Moorcock's Elrik series. But there are many other good long series, some of them are kind of old so maybe narrative will be somewhat diferent from what newer series are.

I enjoy Roger Zelazny's Ambar series, its like modern fantasy involving diferent planes of existence and such, it gots figths , politics, phylosophy, well developed characters and a simple yet sophisticated general trama, and a realy easy going narrative. It definitely oriented to adults.

Jack Vance is well known for The Lyonesse series. Many people like them and even compare them to Tolkiens lord of the rings. In my opinion i like more the Dying Earth series, its kind of a mix between Science fiction and fantasy. Its only my opinion, i have also heard a lot of bad coments about that series, many people dont like it and think its actualy bad, but well i do like it and its just my opinion so check it out , maybe read a sumary or something and you decide.
    He has also other series i havent read yet , but you may find interesting.

Louise cooper's Indigo series is like 8 books long, i havent finish it yet but i like it so far, same goes for Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series.

So...those are the longest series i can think of rigth now, hope this will be usefull to you. =D if i remember another one latter i will post it here.

3. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams (3 or 4 books)
    Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson (14 books, 12 already out) This series is slow in the middle books (6-9) but the payoff will be worth the read.
    Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (3 books)
    Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (3 books)
    Farseer, Liveship Traders, and Tawny Man by Robin Hobb (3 books in each series, 9 total)
    Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser by Fritz Leiber (7 books)
    The Fionvar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay (3 books) and several solo novels. Most people seem to like Tigana best, but my favourite is A Song for Arbonne.
    The Conan stories by Robert E. Howard

All of that is fantasy.

The Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell (historical fiction, 23 books, I think)
    Sir Nigel and The White Company by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (historical fiction) You might have a look at his Sherlock Holmes and Professor Challenger books as well.
    The Brother Cadfael books by Ellis Peters (historical mysteries, 21 books) This series gives a very different - but also realistic - look at the Middle Ages.

Hope this helps.

4. Akkarin Shadow

Akkarin Shadow New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. trust meh.

5. FARAWAYSAY

FARAWAYSAY Farawaysay

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would be eternally grateful if you would read my story.

ELTANIN – Where fortune has a price…

READ IT FOR FREE AT http://www.writefirsttime.net/

6. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I would recommend Brent Weeks' series called The Night Angel Trilogy. I recently read it for the first time, and I will definitely read it again.

It has magic and the medieval settings and so on and so forth that you are looking for.

7. Azazael

Azazael New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.. I've always liked the Dragonlance series... mainly by Margaret Weis and Terry Hickman... Also by Weis and Hickman, I've heard that the Death Gate Cycle is wonderful, though I have yet to read it myself. I enjoyed Robin Hobbs trilogies, and though it was a quick read, R. A. Salvatores Forgotten Realms series was enjoyable - at least the three books I have read of it. Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix... That's all I can think of right now :3