NaNoWriMo

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Anrisa Ryn, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Anrisa Ryn

Anrisa Ryn Author, artist, gamer

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    But I am in the process of planning my National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) novel, and I'm running into a wall with the plot.
    Can anyone assist me?

2. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Possibly. What's the problem?

3. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Suggestions available here too... need more information though.....

4. Anrisa Ryn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well my story is basically this:

A girl named Taylor was cursed at birth by her mother's jealous sister. The curse is that she has no face, both metaphorically and literally. She looks in the mirror at herself and sees a flat and completely featureless face. When others look at her, they see what they want to see (which is often a combination of their own opinions of people in general and their own self esteem). For example, if someone is very angry and hates people, they may see her as an ugly and old woman. Or if the viewer loves people, they may see her as a very bright and welcoming blonde. Basically "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" to the extreme.

Anyway, Taylor's family has just moved to a new area in NYC, and she is starting school as PS #118 in the middle of the year. She doesn't know anyone at all, and the looks she gets pretty much remind her how "weird" she is. She meets a boy named Patrick and he shows her around the school. They become fast friends.

That's all I have so far, but I'm not sure where to go with it. I was thinking about having the two friends meet with a psychic to try and break the curse. Something along the lines of "You will break the curse when you discover your true self." I've been putting it off for a long time and I thought Nanowrimo was the perfect time to actually get started on it. Any ideas?

5. Greybeard

Greybeard Geezer

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    You need conflict. Something forces them to break the curse.

Two things come to mind. Either some external threat either to them or to the community forces her to develop her own face, or he leaves (or is forced to leave) and she has to develop her face to get him back.

First option is a fantasy storyline, second option is a romance.

6. Anrisa Ryn

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I would much prefer Fantasy since Patrick will be a purely platonic friend. I want them to develop this as the story goes.
    Well that's a start. It's always hard to get things rolling.

What do you think about the evil sister coming back and trying to make the Brown's life miserable? That seems kind of silly offhand. I can't seem to get any real ideas for a conflict.