Names of fantasy realms

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Smaug, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Smaug

Smaug Think furnace, with wings

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello! Before I start I apologise if this is in the wrong thread, as you can see, I'm a newbie (yay).

So I'm writing this story, influenced greatly by Tolkien's Middle-Earth/Arda. I have written a fair amount, however, I cannot think of any decent names of places within my fantasy world! The only name I have so far is Escaroth, which I don't like. I was using the realms within Middle-Earth as my guideline, as words like Rohan or Gondor sound nice, and are much easier to read and say.
    So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, any names you like that I can use, or what you think of Escaroth :)
    Like I said, I'm using these for inspiration etc, but I would like them to be original.

I would appreciate the help very much!

Thanks!

P.S Sorry if you find a post like this annoying, because I understand people thinking I'm not using my own imagination. I've just been stuck on this for a very long time, so I came here for help :D

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Well, if you're planning on actually having it on a different part of Arda, I can send you the names of the other continents (I have the Atlas of Middle-earth) as reference.

As to made-up names: I called a made-up world Karhwyella. I took letters and sounds that I liked and then mashed them up.
    Another technique, which Tolkien used, was to describe the place he was naming, then separate that description into key words and then use the translations of those words in old languages:
    Mor-dor = Latin for death: mor(s) ; Hebrew for place: Dor (there might be an "h"in there somewhere)

3. Eustace

Eustace The One True Tsar

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Part of it sometimes considering the place that you're naming and who lives there - I simplified it for myself by nicking the Eddings idea of basing my cultures on real world ones of about the same time period as the one I'm going for. So, my main country is a mash up of Ireland, England and Germany So, I took and Irish - sounding bit, a German sounding bit, and then used a sort of joining bit in the middle - Eadensax :D This can also help you with names of your characters, keeping within those bounds of 'nationality' gave me some interesting 'real' and 'made up' names (Donchadd Cellaghney, Tayconnel O'Rewell, Dechenshaven, De Mharburg (borderlands, people, borderlands, helpful for something, like extra surnames and starting wars for example...))

So for myself I can't really help much unless you give me an idea of what kind of place we're talking about, but generally... make it something people would actually use on a day to day basis - remember the famous Welsh town ending gogogogh is actually a tourism gimmick! It has to be a bit practical - something that would fit on a map, or into a song without being all of one line...

Escaroth sounds perfectly fine to me, btw!

4. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Although, Escaroth = Esgaroth, so people will probably notice it and maybe not like the closeness of the two.

5. Eustace

Eustace The One True Tsar

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I didn't spot that actually - you want to be at least seemingly original, difficult as that is these days! Maybe that's why, once you've got an original idea it's so difficult to let go of it! :D

6. Smaug

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes, I completely forgot about Lake-town D: That's just a coincidence, I never even thought about it :p

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Coincidence, or is it your subconscious slipping past your übermich?

Escarioth seems a good variation on the name. It also reminds me sort of chariot and of Judas Iscariot.

8. Smaug

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Most likely the latter...