Myths of Thalassana (RP)

Discussion in 'RPG and OOC RPG Discussions' started by wanderingmagus, May 27, 2018.

1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +554 / 1 / -0
    Sign-up: Myths of Thalassana (Sign-up)
    OOC: Myths of Thalassana (OOC)

It has been many ages since the end of the Great War with the goblins, and the mighty realm of Thalassana enjoys peace and prosperity under the wise rule of King Leonard. Most recently, our lord and King has send messages to all our allies after receiving a request from the High Council of the City of Wonders.
    Now, healers, fighters, tinkers, and adventurers of all manner of history come from all over the known world in answer to requests from the King for aid in this glorious quest for a mysterious artefact of the ancient world. However, though the adventurers are hopeful, the journey may be perilous...

Questers:
    Garrin Civel (@Mad Hatter) - Halfling, Farmer, Fairfield
    Archmage Lord Varius Paragonis (@wanderingmagus) - Human, Wizard, City of Wonders
    Ragnar Björnsson (@Kakashi ) - Dwarf, Warrior, Orod Khazad
    It is a clear evening as the sun sets on the city of Thalassana, and torches are being lit all over the streets. The familiar smell of moist earth and many crowded people floats through the streets with the sound of singing and music, shouts and grunts and whinnies of horses. After many hours of travel, the travellers arrive at the designated location, the Fair Maiden. The perfect spot for exhausted travellers needin' some good ol' ale and a good nights rest. This is where our story begins...
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Varius Paragonis, called Paragonis the Blue by the common folk of Thalassana, smiled tiredly as he finally approached the walls of the fortress, passing beneath the enormous portcullis and dismounting to walk his horse on the cobbled streets. It had been a long 57 miles all the way from the City of Wonders to come here, a two-day journey over hill and valley and fen and moor, bordered occasionally by hurdle, hedgerow and stile. Still, it was a safe journey, something which still came as somewhat of a surprise to the old man years after the last battle of the Great War had ended.

He wore a slightly dusty hooded robe over a worn tunic and sturdy trousers, good riding boots that went all the way up to his knees, and a wizard's pointed hat, all originally dyed blue but now fading to a dusty and pale version of what they once were. His staff was tucked in the saddle of his horse, Nellie, an intelligent and beautiful chestnut-colored mare with a gentle and calm demeanor that made her both dependable and comfortable on long journeys. She was carrying his supplies from the City, generic wizard materials and potions as well as maps and rations and other useful items.

He led the mare to the stable just outside the Fair Maiden and gave the ostler a tip for extra hay and a good grooming as he slung the straps of one of the smaller bags over a shoulder and took his staff in hand. Pausing to give the horse a lump of sugar for her good attitude and perseverance, the cheerful old man patted the mare and made his way up the steps of the inn.

As he passed through the wooden arch of the door, he politely took off his hat and robe, hanging them by the racks just to the side of the entrance. He looked around, then saw some prospective questers in friendly conversation with some of the other guests and travelers. Intrigued, and feeling both hungry and a bit thirsty, Paragonis smiled to himself and walked over to the counter, paying for a pint and taking a seat nearby, listening to these conversations.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  2. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +671 / 6 / -2
    Ragnar had spent his entire life in Orod Khazad and its surrounding area. He had never had any reason to leave. Orod Khazad was where his family was, where his life was. Now, he was in Thalassana, far to the Southwest of his home.

King Leonard had sent word, and he had answered the call. It had been time for him to branch out from the things that he knew, the people and the place he had spent his entire life around. As a member of Orod's guard, he had always been part of a unit. He never been given the opportunity to prove himself as an individual.

Thalassana was far unlike Orod. Orod was a hardy city in the mountains, dark and dusty. Thalassana was the opposite - winding streets filled with activity, under the open sky. It was nothing he was used to. He felt strange being here, so far from the mines.

The meeting spot was the Fair Maiden, a tavern in the heart of the city. It was full of activity as well - some dwarves, but also humans, halflings and orcs. It seemed as though many had answered the call. Ragnar stood near the entrance and watched as a human, a wizard by the look of him, grabbed a pint.

Ragnar considered doing the same, but decided to simply stand there and wait. It would not compare to dwarven ale anyway, he figured.

3. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +554 / 1 / -0
    Paragonis turned and smiled amicably at the dwarf warrior, setting aside his cup and rising to bow slightly in greeting. "Greetings to you, master dwarf! I am called Varius Paragonis, Archmage Lord of the High Council of the City of Wonders. Am I correct to presume you are here to take part in the Quest for the Stones of Light?"

Although Dwarves sometimes had something of a distaste for what some of them viewed as the technologically and socially inferior inhabitants of Thalassana, they had always had a sort of respect for the knowledge possessed by wizards of the City. Indeed, the two factions often traded information and wondrous artifacts with one another, and shared in their mutual understandings of some true secrets of the world unknown to any other, secrets which both were content to let lie until the others grew in wisdom sufficient to master their power without destroying themselves. The commoners of Thalassana and the halflings of Fairfields never showed much interest in discovering the inner workings of the world left behind by the Ancients - both thought themselves a practical people with no time for flights of fancy, or simply that such knowledge was far beyond their reach and thus irrelevant. Indeed, the halflings often would consider valuable magic artifacts which they did not understand to be useless "heffys", mere curiosities to be stored away in the ancient halls of the Hefiganhus to collect dust until found by a visiting wizard or dwarf. Those few who developed the talent and gift of understanding almost inevitably found their eventual way to the City, for not many of the surface-dwellers could stand the sunless halls of Orod Khazad, nor appreciate the beauty of the kingdom in the mountains. But once educated by the wizards, ah! How many returned, filled to the brim with newfound knowledge and understanding, conversing intelligently about matters of craft and enchantment, viewing those glorious halls with opened and appreciative eyes! Wizards respected the dwarves and their craftsmanship, rather than simply fearing and coveting them as even many nobles of Thalassana did, and as such, in their own way the dwarves respected the wizards in turn, no matter their race. Perhaps they disliked one or two of the other faction, but such was always the case in life, and on the whole there was certainly no enmity or bitterness, which could not always be said of Fairfileds or Thalassana, let alone the goblins.

For his part, the wizard seemed to be one of the more polite and well-mannered ones, gesturing that Ragnar was welcome to take a seat and join him at the table, should he be willing.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  4. Tamago

Tamago Lord-Commander of Anakin's Kingsguard

Ratings:
    +681 / 4 / -0
    Vazz walked around -restless and excited. He did not know many of those present, though he had seen some familiar faces. None of his close friends had decided to go in the adventure. He was the only one who had excitedly, quite cheerfully too, volunteered to take part of the quest. Nobody was surprised -dwarves were, of course, very courageous -or rather, that was what Vazz thought about his folk. But some had already settled down rather nicely in Orod Khazad and the mere thought of leaving did not please them. His own father had frown upon his decision and sighed deeply as he commented something about his agitated nature. He would have taken his goodbyes from his good lady if he had any, but though many have fluttered their eyelashes at him, none of them quite caught up his attention. His mind was on fighting, on adventures, on his dear axe, and the drinking with his comrades.

His restlessness was in place truthfully because of that. He was rather disappointed in his group -none of his warrior comrades had decided to accompany him on the journey -it had been a jolly good journey, too! Thalassana was nothing like Orod Khazad -where his place had been dusky and dark, this was almost too bright and agitated. But he didn't find himself minding it, even though he was already missing some of the dwarfish atmosphere he experienced home. He didn't dread the fighting, he was looking for it -he was going to swing his axe and make justice! He did not take a moment to think when he heard about King Leonard sending word -he was up to the quest, he was looking forward to it! Some would say that was his problem: he never thought about things beforehand! But then again, what was life but a mere blinking of a stuffy dwarf who, if not careful, was going to disappear in the enormity of the mountains? He was small and insignificant compared to the enormities of the world. He had to make something of himself, if even he was a tiny spot in the great scheme. Vazz was sure he had worth and, what was more, he enjoyed life much too much not to take an opportunity when offered! Everything was going to be marvellous -and imagine the honour, imagine the pride, imagine how he was going to come back to Orod Khazad one day and tell the tales at the burning fire while little dwarves listened with their mouths open! He could see it! Perhaps, one day, he will tell the tales to his own children! There was nothing more important for a man like Vazz but to have tales to tell!

As he walked around, he saw a human who talked to one of his kind and hearing him mention about the quest, he couldn't keep his mouth shut!

Cheerful, as he was, it reflected in his tone quite powerfully. "Quest for the Stones of Light you say? I am sorry to interrupt, dear sir, but this dwarf here is on the quest you mention, I greet you with much kindness. I see there's some of my kind here as well," he looked at the other dwarf, "Good day, good day," he put on a bright, rather enormous smile on his red beardy face all braided and knotted in the small edgy bracelets forged by his father.

"This dwarf here," he put his bulky arms on his hard belly, "is Vazz Mävin, a keen warrior who will surely make sure the quest is going to be a great success! I am never known to turn back on what I decide, I say, and I give everything I have! I wish I knew what types of drinks are best here in this fair tavern... Perhaps you know, courageous sirs?"

5. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +554 / 1 / -0
    The archmage turned and smiled to the newcomer as he stood and bowed once more. "Welcome and well-met, Vazz Mävin! I am called Varius Paragonis, an Archmage-Lord of the High Council of the City, and I, for one, am glad to have you with us on this quest. Old Hopsman Burdock over there has been brewing himself some Goblin Stout, if you're looking for strong drinks, but I prefer the much more mellow Burdock Brown, myself. If you'd insist on something from Orod Khazad, he should have a barrel of Farthi's Stone Brew somewhere in the cellars, but it will cost more. Begging your pardon, master dwarf, but it can be most difficult to procure trade goods from your mountain-homes sometimes!"

He grinned, showing that it was all in good fun. Indeed, much the same could sometimes be said of the City itself; lightning crystals weren't exactly cheap to grow, and although the dwarves could certainly mine natural ones themselves, sometimes you just absolutely needed a flawless gem, which couldn't be found in nature. Potions were particularly hard to get sometimes, especially the high-quality ones, not the cheap salves and brews any village wise-woman could procure from weeds and plants - those could be got anywhere, but elixirs which could knit open wounds closed within minutes without leaving a scar? That was powerful magic, and came with an equally powerful bill later. One which those who could afford it would pay, of course - leeches and maggots were a very poor substitute, and there was simply no contest when it came between the City's magic and even the best-trained alchemist's oils.

"Two dwarves, both warriors in your own right, and a wizard," mused Paragonis to himself, looking from one dwarf to the other, and then down at a small booklet he'd retrieved from a satchel. "We may need quite a few more adventurers on this quest than that, given the distances we'll be travelling. No offense to either of you, master dwarves, but an expedition as important as this must needs include somewhat more members than usual. I'm sure we could find a few others among this group suitable for the road ahead."

Heads nodded all around the table as one fellow after another introduced himself or herself, each to the polite nod and smile of the wizard. Halflings with sharp poisoned daggers in mottled greenish-brown cloaks, men from around Thalassana who'd heard of the quest, an odd orc hailing from distant lands, even someone claiming to be at least half-faerie from the far south, with the forehead gem to prove it. That got some reaction from the clerics hailing from the Sacred Congress; the paladins didn't exactly approve of the fae, but then, they didn't approve of a lot of things, and the fact there were paladins here at all was somewhat surprising.